Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

as/nzs:3000.2000 wiring regs?

as/nzs:3000.2000 wiring regs?

Old May 9th 2007, 9:51 pm
n00b

80s kev will become famous soon enough
Default as/nzs:3000.2000 wiring regs?

does this course follow the same format as the 2381 16th edition wiring regs course in the UK, ie 30 hours study, followed by an open book multiple choice test?

i dont have the UK city and guilds 2391 testing and inspection certificate. is the oz equivalent as tough as the UK one is made out to be?

thanks in advance

kev
Old May 9th 2007, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: as/nzs:3000.2000 wiring regs?

Originally Posted by 80s kev
does this course follow the same format as the 2381 16th edition wiring regs course in the UK, ie 30 hours study, followed by an open book multiple choice test?

i dont have the UK city and guilds 2391 testing and inspection certificate. is the oz equivalent as tough as the UK one is made out to be?

thanks in advance

kev

It depends where you take the course.

I know at PEER in SA, it's done over 4 weeks (2 days a weeks from 8am til 4pm) with the exam on the last day of the 4 weeks (or when you're ready for it). The course there is basically reading through the regs and finding answers to questions you are provided. These are little snippets out of the book (and the guy gives you the relevant regs numbers to the answers, so it's pretty easy ). Once you've done that you can then sit the exam, which is basically the same thing, only without answers (but if you get anything wrong he'll tell you to do that question again until it's right)

At TAFE in SA, it's an 18 weeks course (2 hours per week), but I don't know what's involved as we went with the PEER course.

Hopefully someone can fill you in with the details of other states.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

thanks in advance

kev
where abouts in aus are you planning to move to????
Old May 11th 2007, 5:12 pm
n00b

Originally Posted by steve`o
where abouts in aus are you planning to move to????
i havent fully made my mind up where to start. more than likely it will be cairns or perth, and eventually making my way around the whole country one way or another over a period of about 2 years.
Old May 11th 2007, 6:21 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

i havent fully made my mind up where to start. more than likely it will be cairns or perth, and eventually making my way around the whole country one way or another over a period of about 2 years.
Im heading for cairns in 6 weeks, youngy73 is there aswell and sounds like there is plenty of work so not a bad place to start!

Stu
Old May 11th 2007, 7:35 pm
n00b

further to this thread, is it possible to australian electrical engineering training cd's/dvd's containing all manner of training manuals, ebooks, powerpoint presentations, past exam papers, regs etc in pdf format cheaply like it is in the UK?
for instance you can get a cd off ebay with all the info required to study 2381, 2391, part p, all on the one disk for about £5
ive googled about on the oz google and found nowt.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:56 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

further to this thread, is it possible to australian electrical engineering training cd's/dvd's containing all manner of training manuals, ebooks, powerpoint presentations, past exam papers, regs etc in pdf format cheaply like it is in the UK?
for instance you can get a cd off ebay with all the info required to study 2381, 2391, part p, all on the one disk for about £5
ive googled about on the oz google and found nowt.
did the same thing myself about 18-20 months ago
your more likely to come across a bucket of rockin horse shit

i`d recommend buying
electrical wiring practise volume 1 & 2 (6th edition) as/nzs 3000:2000
by keith pethebridge and ian neeson
i got copies via a brissie online bookstore
( i wont recommomend them though they too alsmost 20 weeks to come )

also have a look at
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

and

http://www.qet.edu.au/

( but only if you intend to start off in qld )

regards steve
Old May 11th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, if you are going to Perth first, try:
http://www.cet.asn.au/training_fs.htm

Don't know any others but there are bound to be TAFE's etc that provide the courses.