Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Originally Posted by john_w
Update... got my visa, at last.....now doing the ARTC, sending off end of week...big question is...originallt looking at going to WA to do electrical license...now tempted by QSL.
IF..I do my WA license, can I convert it easily for QSL ??

Look at this link John http://dir.qld.gov.au/electricalsafe...htm#extlicence

I've not read it, but it looks easy enough if you get the right licence in Perth.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Look at this link John http://dir.qld.gov.au/electricalsafe...htm#extlicence

I've not read it, but it looks easy enough if you get the right licence in Perth.
Thanks Wendy...read it in the morning, I know it wont make any sense right now!!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy...read it in the morning, I know it wont make any sense right now!!

It looks pretty easy to me, so wouldn't worry about it.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

John, i hope things work ok for you in Australia. now then mate do the short course ASAP even in perth i know after 28 years you may think this is shite but you will learn so much about the MEN system.

best of luck mate for the future if you need help at all just ask.

Arthur
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Please may i say anyone who is thinking if doing the A class license & you may think its straight forward think AGAIN. i dont care which state you do the frigging exam in its hard work they design it that way to put you under pressure on the day, i do know Victoria is the hardest to pass the thing i dont say that because i live here thats the way they have made it all.

It will be the most intense 4 & 1/2 hour you will ever be subjected to regarding education, there wont be any part of the exams that are easy expect sod all from the examiners they wont help you one bit, Ive been there & done it all.

there is a new system in place now across Australia again its not easy but if you fail 1 part thats all you have to resit, as before if you failed 1 part you had to do the whole lot again at there discretion (wait 3 months) No Money coming in.

so please expect nothing, do all your research do the 10 to 12 week course at the Tafe learn all about the MEN system & RCD's.

if you need more help just ask Ive been helping people to get through this frigging exam for a couple of years now on here.

regards

Arthur
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Scratch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooray - we've finally got our visa's through. After 3 long years of trying we finally got confirmation last week.

Now I need to understand about the different classes of licence for Electricians. Does anybody know of a website that I can visit so I can understand the next steps.

I have contacted the ARTC who tell me I can't apply to have my qualifications recognised again until I am resident. Has anybody else found this.

If anybody has any advise or tips which will help me it would be great to hear from them.

thanks

Scratch

It looks pretty easy to me, so wouldn't worry about it.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scratch
Hooray - we've finally got our visa's through. After 3 long years of trying we finally got confirmation last week.

Now I need to understand about the different classes of licence for Electricians. Does anybody know of a website that I can visit so I can understand the next steps.

I have contacted the ARTC who tell me I can't apply to have my qualifications recognised again until I am resident. Has anybody else found this.

If anybody has any advise or tips which will help me it would be great to hear from them.

thanks

Scratch
Hi

Congratulations on getting your Visa

Try this page of the TRA site http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...onContacts.htm and just pick which state you are going to for info on their licencing process.

We managed to get our application for the ARTC certificate sent to a relative in Oz who forwarded it to us in the UK. You not supposed to really apply until you get here but it can be helpful to fill it in before you come out as it's easier to get your references etc while still in the UK.

The tutor at my hubbies college is talking to the TRA at the minute to see if he can get it changed so that they send the forms out to the UK. Hopefully they will change it soon.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy, did you have to waiy until the visa number is in your passport for the ARTC or is the number on the visa grant letter. They ask for proofe youve got a valid visa...was thinking of photocopying my passport photo page and enclosing a copy of the visa grant letter.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Wendy, did you have to waiy until the visa number is in your passport for the ARTC or is the number on the visa grant letter. They ask for proofe youve got a valid visa...was thinking of photocopying my passport photo page and enclosing a copy of the visa grant letter.

I photocopied the visa stamp in his passport. I can't remember what the form said, but I'm almost certain that that is what they wanted.

Your passport only takes about 3 or 4 days to get back to you with the visa in though, so it's not too long a wait.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I photocopied the visa stamp in his passport. I can't remember what the form said, but I'm almost certain that that is what they wanted.

Your passport only takes about 3 or 4 days to get back to you with the visa in though, so it's not too long a wait.
Passports posted so will just have to wait, got to get certified copies ..again!! so couldnt post it just yet anyway. Thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:41 am
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I have been following this thread with interest and I'm sure we will refer back to it time and again. We don't know yet whether we will end up in Queensland or Perth. Husband is a maintenance electrician and doesn't do any installation but I think he will go for the Qualification that gives him the most job options. Is there anything he can do to start the process (apart from getting his TRA which we're beginning just now) from the UK to cut down the out of work time when we get to Oz?
Thanks
Jane
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumo
Hello

I have been following this thread with interest and I'm sure we will refer back to it time and again. We don't know yet whether we will end up in Queensland or Perth. Husband is a maintenance electrician and doesn't do any installation but I think he will go for the Qualification that gives him the most job options. Is there anything he can do to start the process (apart from getting his TRA which we're beginning just now) from the UK to cut down the out of work time when we get to Oz?
Thanks
Jane
Hi Jane,
The only bit of advice I cangive you for now is make copies ( at least 2 more) of everything you send for your TRA..IMMI will want a copy of it, and then the ARTC want a copy too. Get all your photocopies certified now..I know its apain in the R's ..but it saves all the running around later.
Im sure if you've been following the thread you or your hubby will know about the elec. licence thats needed once you do emigrate...I've been told the one to go for is the A class.
Good luck with it all.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stumo
Hello

Thanks
Jane

Make sure he puts some stuff in his TRA application about connecting to mains. This will help with the ARTC futher down the line.

If he gets classified as just a fitter for the ARTC he won't be able to get an unrestricted or A class licence.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:20 am
Telford Tigers fan

stumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond reputestumo has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure he puts some stuff in his TRA application about connecting to mains. This will help with the ARTC futher down the line.

If he gets classified as just a fitter for the ARTC he won't be able to get an unrestricted or A class licence.
Will do. Thanks Wendy and John W
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

timotei is an unknown quantity at this point

hi wendy, im tim

im thinking of emigrating to australia and hopefully getting a job as an a electrician. i have all the relevant qualifications to work over here in england, and i am hoping you could give me some info into the qualifications i would need to work over there.

after looking through the forum you seem to have helped quite a few people. so, im hoping you can help me please.

yours thankfully tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.