Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Migrating to Oz as an Electrician????

Originally Posted by Katep
Hi Lorri

What is the ARTC and how can we obtain it? We are still in the UK and flying out in Jan.

Sounds as if i'm in the same boat as you, other half is the sparks but i've got to do all the paper work!

Cheers Kate
Hi Kate,the ARTC is the certificate you need to get first before you can apply for your electricial licence.Did your hubby do the TRA to migrate to Australia?if so its like the same stuff over again.You have to ring or send off for the form from the TRA people.
Lorri

Last edited by supersonic4; Sep 26th 2006 at 3:59 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Katep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi Kate,the ARTC is the certificate you need to get first before you can apply for your electricial licence.Did your hubby do the TRA to migrate to Australia?if so its like the same stuff over again.You have to ring or send off for the form from the TRA people.
Lorri
Yeah he did the TRA for the visa, but we did it through an agent so they sent the forms off for us. Do you have the number or the address for the TRA people to get the forms.

Many thanks for you help.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Katep
Yeah he did the TRA for the visa, but we did it through an agent so they sent the forms off for us. Do you have the number or the address for the TRA people to get the forms.

Many thanks for you help.
Contact TRA - for attainment of an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
Phone
1300 360 992
OR
+61 3 9954 2537

Monday to Thursday 9am to 7pm
Friday 9am to 4pm
Australian Eastern Standard Time, excluding public holidays

Fax
+61 3 9954 2588

Email
[email protected]
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Katep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to allKatep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Contact TRA - for attainment of an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
Phone
1300 360 992
OR
+61 3 9954 2537

Monday to Thursday 9am to 7pm
Friday 9am to 4pm
Australian Eastern Standard Time, excluding public holidays

Fax
+61 3 9954 2588

Email
[email protected]
Excellent, that's great thanks so much for your help.

Kate
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Scratch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am in the final stages of getting my visa and am hoping to work as an electrician once I've finally managed to get my ARTC.

I would like to do a bit of reading up before I come over to Oz and wonder if you can recommend any Regs books and on-site guides that I could be reading. The title & author would be really useful so I can go and order them from the book shop.

Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Ray
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scratch
Hi

I am in the final stages of getting my visa and am hoping to work as an electrician once I've finally managed to get my ARTC.

I would like to do a bit of reading up before I come over to Oz and wonder if you can recommend any Regs books and on-site guides that I could be reading. The title & author would be really useful so I can go and order them from the book shop.

Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,

Welcome to BE.

Here's a list of books that you need to have:

Wiring Rules

Cable Selection

Testing and Inspection Guides

Construction and demolition sites

There are a few more, but I can't find the list just now. I will post the rest when I find it
Old Oct 15th 2006, 11:21 am
Just Joined

thanks very much, really helpful.

Ray

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Ray,

Welcome to BE.

Here's a list of books that you need to have:

Wiring Rules

Cable Selection

Testing and Inspection Guides

Construction and demolition sites

There are a few more, but I can't find the list just now. I will post the rest when I find it
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much, really helpful.

Ray

Here's the last one for you too.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...=stds000000144

That should be all you need for your course and exam.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Here's the last one for you too.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script...=stds000000144

That should be all you need for your course and exam.
Wendy thanks for all this :
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy thanks for all this :

No worries hun, we all look after each other on here
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:58 am
Just Joined

preetbassi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Hey weealbie. I am also a spark. Having lived in Oz in 1998 i had no problem getting a job in Sydney. Bought a paper on the Saturday and made some calls left some messages i got a return call from a guy on the Monday asking me to start Wednesday. However when i was in Melbourne i could not get work. Just depends. I have been looking on the net at jobs and couple of mates have looked in the paper in Sydney.Right now there is heaps of work. BTW did you know that you can work as an unlicensed Electrician? I am returning to Oz in October and i'm not worried one bit. Where do you live?
Dear Friend,
I am planning to migrate to sydeny, please tell me how you get a electrician job in sydeny, and how can I get the license for General Electrician. Please reply as soon as possible my email is: <<removed - It is not wise to post your email address in a public forum. Please use the PM system instead.>>

Last edited by Sue; Oct 28th 2006 at 1:54 pm. Reason: Email address removed for privacy
Old Oct 21st 2006, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

hello to all you sparkies, Ive been helping people oh here now for a couple of years regarding how to obtain the A class license and i can tell you what books you will need and also i have a test paper from the Chief Electrical Inspectors Office in Victoria the exam is a nightmare its as simple as that. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, if you need help please do ask me.

regards to all

Arthur

in Victoria i know exactly how the exam room is set out i can tell you what faults you will experience on the testing side i know all faults on the visual switchboard, and i know all the physical defects on another test then there is the disconnect & reconnect of an appliance you must do this step by step it sounds easy but the bastards are looking for the one mistake and you fail.

art
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Arthur how you getting on ? I got my ARTC as a fitter,should have been mech,but anyway got something at least.I am thinking of heading to Perth to take the exam over there instead of Brisbane,to get the full one rather than a permit,as I was told it would be july before I would get a full licence,I don't want to be filling in log books and all that crap after been a sparky for 28 years.What do you reackon?
Cheers John
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here in South Australia the course is nowhere near as bad as people had us believe before we came. The tutor is a really helpful guy, he gave everyone on the course a book to fill out which had 7 sections and approx. 60 hours of work in. He also gave them the answers (clause numbers, then you had to fill in the quotes).

My hubby has now finished the work and will be doing the exam this week, he doesn't need to sit a practical test just a written one. However he is going to anyway as it gives him another notch in his belt.

The tutor has said that no-one fails the exam as he will make sure that everyone passes. If they don't they can just resit the exam again until they pass, this won't cost him any more cash.

Just wanted to pass that on to stop people worrying too much, however if you go anywhere other than South Australia then you're on your own I have no idea what they do anywhere else.

The course is provided by PEER which is a bit more expensive than TAFE, but as we have found out much better.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Update... got my visa, at last.....now doing the ARTC, sending off end of week...big question is...originallt looking at going to WA to do electrical license...now tempted by QSL.
IF..I do my WA license, can I convert it easily for QSL ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.