Licensing help needed

Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Dean2871 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Licensing help needed

Hi everyone,
I know there's probably a million forums with the answers I'm looking for but I'd like to get people's input here.

I've been in oz for 14 months now working as a fibre optic and data cabler....realised having your electrical trade is the best way to go so I'm going home to Wales to finish off my trade training. Got 3 months left in collage until I'm fully qualified. Then I want to come back over to oz and get my licence here. I know I won't be able to use my 'new' sparky qual to migrate as I don't have enough post qualification experience so I'm going defacto with the misses (she's ozzy)
Can anyone help me with licensing for non migration purposes please? Am I going to hit a brick wall because my quals are fresh? I'm moving to Queensland but happy to go to whatever state is easiest to get the licence first as that's my priority. Don't know if it's better to get the ball rolling while still in the uk or come back to oz to do it?

Cheers all

Last edited by Dean2871; Nov 30th 2013 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licensing help needed

Originally Posted by Dean2871
Hi everyone,
I know there's probably a million forums with the answers I'm looking for but I'd like to get people's input here.

I've been in oz for 14 months now working as a fibre optic and data cabler....realised having your electrical trade is the best way to go so I'm going home to Wales to finish off my trade training. Got 3 months left in collage until I'm fully qualified. Then I want to come back over to oz and get my licence here. I know I won't be able to use my 'new' sparky qual to migrate as I don't have enough post qualification experience so I'm going defacto with the misses (she's ozzy)
Can anyone help me with licensing for non migration purposes please? Am I going to hit a brick wall because my quals are fresh? I'm moving to Queensland but happy to go to whatever state is easiest to get the licence first as that's my priority. Don't know if it's better to get the ball rolling while still in the uk or come back to oz to do it?

Cheers all
Hi Dean,

I think you will need to look for someone to take you on as an apprentice, since you will have no electrical work experience to be able to apply for ARTC. And even then, and ARTC is only likely to get you a supervised license anyway.

To be able to apply for licensing with overseas qualifications, they need to be recognised by an RTO issuing OTSR's if outside of Australia - or ARTC if in Australia. The alternative will be to find an employer here who will support electrical training, then look at RPL (recognition of Prior Learning) for your overseas quals and make up any gaps and experience.

Does your current employer do electrical as well as data and comms?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Dean,

I think you will need to look for someone to take you on as an apprentice, since you will have no electrical work experience to be able to apply for ARTC. And even then, and ARTC is only likely to get you a supervised license anyway.

To be able to apply for licensing with overseas qualifications, they need to be recognised by an RTO issuing OTSR's if outside of Australia - or ARTC if in Australia. The alternative will be to find an employer here who will support electrical training, then look at RPL (recognition of Prior Learning) for your overseas quals and make up any gaps and experience.

Does your current employer do electrical as well as data and comms?

I've left my current employer in Australia and I'm coming home to Wales (after a trip to bali) tomorrow. I'm starting my electrical course in feb finishing in May just to get my level 3 so I can be recognised in Australia as they don't recognise level 2. I have a lot of experience in the electrical trade. 7 years experience but never had my full level 3. And being in Australia has shown me I need to get it. By May I'll have my full NVQ 3 and JIB gold card which means I'll be able to be recognised in oz but I'm worried I'm screwed as I won't be able to get my OTSR as they won't recognise my experience pre qualification.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply aswell mate appreciate your help
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dean2871
Thanks for the reply aswell mate appreciate your help
At least you have the data and comms behind you - and some Oz experience. If you are headed back to QLD, you could look for an employer who does both that could help you with the licensing maybe. Perhaps try asking again when you are headed back as things could change