Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Hows the rest of Austraila for Sparky jobs??????

Hows the rest of Austraila for Sparky jobs??????

Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:37 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hows the rest of Austraila for Sparky jobs??????

Just thought id write a little about the current state of the job situation over here.

Im in Cairns, been here just over a year now and when i arrived there were more sparky jobs than you could shake a stick at. 6 months or so later the building trade seems to have slowed down to the point now it is allmost at a standstill.

I know 2 english guys that have arrived here, both within the last two months and cannot find work. One of them rang me yesterday and said he has gone through every number in the phone book and not one of them will entertaine him for a job, they also said if anything they are laying blokes off.

Im not writing this to scare you guys off i guess im just giving you an idea of the reality of what appears to be happening over here. Would be interesting to here what is happening in other parts of oz??? This doesnt just go for sparkys, its every trade. I speak to different guys every day and they are all struggling for work?? Hard times ahead i feel?????
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: Hows the rest of Austraila for Sparky jobs??????

Hello all,

Just done a quick search on seek, on jobs for electrician in the past 7 days, i'm not saying they're a suitable standards but here are the numbers

cairns 15
brisbane 129
sydney 79
melbourne 57
adelaide 15
perth 80

Regards

kevin
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:01 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello all,

Just done a quick search on seek, on jobs for electrician in the past 7 days, i'm not saying they're a suitable standards but here are the numbers

cairns 15
brisbane 129
sydney 79
melbourne 57
adelaide 15
perth 80

Regards

kevin

Well i wonder where them 15 are in Cairns, my mate isnt having any luck????
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:42 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
Well i wonder where them 15 are in Cairns, my mate isnt having any luck????
15 in cairns?????? im lucky to still have a job here at the moment its that bad. people say cairns is a boom or bust town. i just didnt expect both in 6 months.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

andywilson19 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i been in adelaide just over 3 months now got a job as a ta almost straight away and there is loads of work here for sparky's not enough sparky's to go around
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
15 in cairns?????? im lucky to still have a job here at the moment its that bad. people say cairns is a boom or bust town. i just didnt expect both in 6 months.
a lot of the "jobs" on seek are for agencies who advertise 24/7 just to get you on their books, this however doesnt mean that they will have any work for you

with your local experiance youngy i`d put my faith in your good self rather than seek

regards steve
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

hello all,

my list was just a small comparison across the country, i didn't vet for agencies or crediable job offers, it was a show of how the land lies

Regards

Kevin
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin S
hello all,

my list was just a small comparison across the country, i didn't vet for agencies or crediable job offers, it was a show of how the land lies

Regards

Kevin
hi kevin
i want having a pop at you mate
and i hope you havnt taken it that way

regards steve
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

hello Steve' o

No prob, i am old and daft enough to know where your coming from, if i didn't like what you said , i'd be down the road to see you. lol, brisbane isn't that far away at the weekend, during the week however, is a different story.

regards

kevin
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:32 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH rang an agency here in brisbane, within the same day he'd been to their office, signed up and was working the next day and is still working. So i guess there must be some agency's that have work and don't just want you to make their books look good.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

hello all,

i get a phone a week from an agency, they're always offering jobs, tade assistants as well, things in Brisbane seem to be healthy at the mo. i popped into a firm sw brisbane and was told that they had had very little respose for their job advert and to leave a copy of my CV with them. Hey steve' o do you neeed an assistant for a few days, i have to gain some experience some where and you are the closest.

Regards

kevin

Ps , i still need to do the necessary and get the licence. i should ring peer and get a move on.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
Sparky Stu

Well must be just Cairns going through bad times at the moment! Me and Youngy are still working but like he said we are lucky to still be in jobs! Its only the fact a few guys left that we are still there!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:22 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by stu:0
Well must be just Cairns going through bad times at the moment! Me and Youngy are still working but like he said we are lucky to still be in jobs! Its only the fact a few guys left that we are still there!
something similars happend to a mate in brissie
they laid of 12 sparks off and asked thoose left to work longer hours
weird ???
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

I think your spot on mate when you say some agency's are only interested in getting you on there books at the end of the day they get money direct from the government having people on there books.
I can say some provide work but there is a lot that don't give a toss about people, so the gut feeling is Steve 'O' is right once again.
(Steve must be from Lancashire) a decent bloke.???

I can see hard times coming very soon, but not just Australia this credit card nightmare for people has the knock on affect all over the place especially in industry, if most industry had there way we would all be working for a bowl or "Rice" so its a good Job most UK sparkies are bloody well trained & can produce the goods when required.

Arthur