Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

woodymcfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

Posted this on another forum, thought it may be of help on here !!

I have to apply for my license here in WA through energy safety, If you read my previous posts although I am an industrial maintenance electrician, I also carry out installation work but not domestic... My ARTC process has been a nightmare and is still ongoing. I have my electrical fitters ARTC to which I will be doing a one day course to gain my restricted license (fitting work only), I have been offered a job with this license in what I have been doing since I served my time 20 yrs ago. TRA will NOT issue an ARTC until you are in Oz. They require a copy of your stamped passport with date of entry.. Once you get your ARTC you can then apply to energy safety for your license. This application will take 4 weeks to process, because energy safety are apparently understaffed and overworked !! When you receive the letter from energy safety it will allow you to enrol on a course at your local tafe. This is a 2 week electrical trade licensing course (IEE regs course in UK). Depending on the availability of courses you could be waiting for a long time, I have made enquiries only last week and the next available course here in WA is the end of MAY !!! With this letter you receive from Energysafety you also get a 'permit to work' this allows you to work supervised until you get your license, you have 12 months to get your license sorted with this..that is how it is in WA, I have spoken with one of the top dogs at Energysafety and this has been explained to me in detail... I got fed up with being given conflicting advice from the administrators at these places and eventually got to speak with someone who actually knew what they were talking about, hope this helps..
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all
Default Re: This is how it goes with WA electrical licensing as of today

So you can't get paid work as soon as you get there. Another lovely unexpected WA hurdle!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

James GB is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI,

There is another course available with CSTA. It's a one week course and it costs $1000 exclusive of books. They are located in Balcatta not far from CET. As far as I'm aware they do a course every month. I'm doing this course now and there is only 5 of us in it so I'm fairly sure that there will be room in next months.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Polytechnic West - Balga Campus
Challenger Institute of Technology - Rockingham
CET - Jandakot
Combined Skills Training Association - Balcatta

They are all approved by energy safety.

You can get paid work in WA but you won't be paid as a sparky ($30 - 40/hour) until you show your license

Last edited by Deyan; Mar 28th 2012 at 8:02 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

woodymcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Your not wrong about the places that supply the courses above and I have called them all last week, unless there is a cancellation the next available course was as I said !! Also the different Tafes/training centres charge differently !
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Zakman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just completed my 2 week ETL course at CET Balcatta. The tutors were really helpful and put you at ease throughout the course, even told you what companies that were recruiting in Perth. I highly recommend using this college. They even offer government subsides from $900 to $300 if available.

Speak to Leslie Dryden
+61 8 9240 7700

Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I paid around $250 a year ago, Rockingham TAFE.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Cimek is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to share my experience. Just finished ETL course for A-grade licence at Polytechnic West / Balga Campus - Vetassess way.

I walked to Energy Safety in person, with all relevant papers, next day after arrived in Perth. They copied my OTSR, scanned passport and gave me proper form to fill (there is 2 of them, depends which way you are going), then I paid by credit card 109$. They said, they will send the answer within 4 weeks. I called them every week to be sure everything's fine, but as nothing came by then I visited them again. They checked my docs with me in the system and found that one page of OTSR is missing. I could wait in vain for ever, they simply didn't bothered to inform me about it. I emailed missing page same day and a few days later they called me that docs are ready for me to collect.
My advise at this stage: don't leave it with them and trust everything's fine, keep checking it yourself.

In envelope I found Electrical Worker's Permit, valid for 12 months which allowi me to work legally under supervision plus eligibility to enrol to ETL 80 hours course plus list of 4 places I can attend, with contact numbers to responsible for it persons. I called all of them and was lucky to find vacancy at soonest starting one – Polytechnic West / Balga Campus. I paid them a visit same day with letter from Energy Safety, paid 211$ for subsided ( if you have PR visa) course and bought PDF version of books(AS3000 and AS 3008) from their library. They also printed it out and bind for me for 57$ altogether. Another two books: “Design and Install” and “Inspecting and Testing” I got for free when started course.

Course schedule:
Day 1: Ohm's law, parallel circuits
Day 2: First Aid, CPR, Determining cable type and size.
Day 3: Maximum Demand, Voltage Drop
Day 4: Installation's assembly, 2h of theory, 6 hours practise.
Day 5: Motor starting (contactors, star/delta), transformers, different types of lights, mercury, sodium etc. At the end of the day they gave us portfolio to be done over weekend – typical house plan, you have to count appliances, calculate maximum demand, voltage drop, match cables, CBs and design Consumer Unit.
Day 6: Isolation, Testing Equipment , testing installation on dummy boards – theory/practise
Day 7: Performing installation followed by the plan and testing it.
Day 8: Portfolio collection and discussing problems, revision, written multiple choice test, insulation procedures test.
Day 9: Practical exam: Assembling own installation by plan, testing it, testing equipment.
Day 10: Re-exam. If you failed on something before, you can do it again, still within the course.

Everything what is on the exam was earlier on the course. If you carefully listen to tutors you should have no problem with passing the exam. Half of the group passed everything by Thursday, other half came ones more Friday and had to redo only parts they failed first time. After 2 hours everyone was happy.

Course is very well organised, tutors, even if demanding, very nice and helpful. Australian rules are similar to those in UK, but there are still some differences and different practises of doing some things, so it's good to know it before you start working here anyway. That's basically what is this course about.

I was told they will inform ES about results monday, it takes another few days for ES to revise it and someday at the end of next week I can expect call from ES to collect my Licence.
If it's true I will get my A-Grade in 7 weeks since arrive in OZ.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Hey Cimek, that info that you've provided there is priceless mate. It's just showed the way to go with the vetassess OSTR. It looks to be a good price aswell, instead of getting ripped off in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Easy indeed. After paying 1600 bucks in London for one day assessment I was scared it's just worm-up before big battle. Supprisingly other side came much cheaper.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cimek
I want to share my experience. Just finished ETL course for A-grade licence at Polytechnic West / Balga Campus - Vetassess way.

I walked to Energy Safety in person, with all relevant papers, next day after arrived in Perth. They copied my OTSR, scanned passport and gave me proper form to fill (there is 2 of them, depends which way you are going), then I paid by credit card 109$. They said, they will send the answer within 4 weeks. I called them every week to be sure everything's fine, but as nothing came by then I visited them again. They checked my docs with me in the system and found that one page of OTSR is missing. I could wait in vain for ever, they simply didn't bothered to inform me about it. I emailed missing page same day and a few days later they called me that docs are ready for me to collect.
My advise at this stage: don't leave it with them and trust everything's fine, keep checking it yourself.

In envelope I found Electrical Worker's Permit, valid for 12 months which allowi me to work legally under supervision plus eligibility to enrol to ETL 80 hours course plus list of 4 places I can attend, with contact numbers to responsible for it persons. I called all of them and was lucky to find vacancy at soonest starting one – Polytechnic West / Balga Campus. I paid them a visit same day with letter from Energy Safety, paid 211$ for subsided ( if you have PR visa) course and bought PDF version of books(AS3000 and AS 3008) from their library. They also printed it out and bind for me for 57$ altogether. Another two books: “Design and Install” and “Inspecting and Testing” I got for free when started course.

Course schedule:
Day 1: Ohm's law, parallel circuits
Day 2: First Aid, CPR, Determining cable type and size.
Day 3: Maximum Demand, Voltage Drop
Day 4: Installation's assembly, 2h of theory, 6 hours practise.
Day 5: Motor starting (contactors, star/delta), transformers, different types of lights, mercury, sodium etc. At the end of the day they gave us portfolio to be done over weekend – typical house plan, you have to count appliances, calculate maximum demand, voltage drop, match cables, CBs and design Consumer Unit.
Day 6: Isolation, Testing Equipment , testing installation on dummy boards – theory/practise
Day 7: Performing installation followed by the plan and testing it.
Day 8: Portfolio collection and discussing problems, revision, written multiple choice test, insulation procedures test.
Day 9: Practical exam: Assembling own installation by plan, testing it, testing equipment.
Day 10: Re-exam. If you failed on something before, you can do it again, still within the course.

Everything what is on the exam was earlier on the course. If you carefully listen to tutors you should have no problem with passing the exam. Half of the group passed everything by Thursday, other half came ones more Friday and had to redo only parts they failed first time. After 2 hours everyone was happy.

Course is very well organised, tutors, even if demanding, very nice and helpful. Australian rules are similar to those in UK, but there are still some differences and different practises of doing some things, so it's good to know it before you start working here anyway. That's basically what is this course about.

I was told they will inform ES about results monday, it takes another few days for ES to revise it and someday at the end of next week I can expect call from ES to collect my Licence.
If it's true I will get my A-Grade in 7 weeks since arrive in OZ.

Hey mate no mention of doing a log book, nothing?? Just A license like if you had ARTC??
What do you mean by saying
proper form to fill (there is 2 of them, depends which way you are going)

What one did you fill in why is there two?
Sorry for these questions but in 8 weeks Ill be there too and was going to wait for ARTC but might just go Vet way.

Thats a good well informed description of what we do in 2012

Thanks for info
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

If you go to Energy Safety website:

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/energysaf...lectrical.html

in section "Electrician's licence application forms" you can find two different forms for overseas applicants. First one - if you have ARTC, second if OTSR.
I missed it and filled wrong one, then had to refill again when there.

No one mentioned about log book throughtot the whole process.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cimek
If you go to Energy Safety website:

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/energysaf...lectrical.html

in section "Electrician's licence application forms" you can find two different forms for overseas applicants. First one - if you have ARTC, second if OTSR.
I missed it and filled wrong one, then had to refill again when there.

No one mentioned about log book throughtot the whole process.

Jeepers this could be a better easier route. Alot off us wont need ARTC as OSTR will work ARTC will only have to be used if there with no OSTR.

Did energysafe or did you ask do you get A license and thats it. Seems too easy now, it never is.

Hey mate I think you should copy your detailed description and open a new thread with Title

WA A License in 8 weeks with OSTR route in OZ so easy....

Reading it puts a lot on perspective thoughts to rest, I think its a great help.

Start a new header thread to show everyone emigrating ARTC route isnt only way. OSTR has been mislead.

Thanks again
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

hasselhoff86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to perth in august on a 1 year working holiday visa.
The information use have posted on were to do ETL has been really helpful but my questio is how do I obtain the ARTC or OTSR?
Sorry for the rookie questions folks am just a beginner.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

hogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined this forum great website and full of info all you lads seem to be on the ball.

I am from dublin Ireland and heading to Australia on june 5th with my girlfriend.

I am a fully qualified electrician mainly industrial and domestic and looking to get an A license as an electrical mechanic. The only route i thought i could go with was ARTC way but reading this hread seems there are easier options.

Am i best apply to the ARTC now from Ireland as ive 10 weeks to go or am i best waiting till i get to sydney. I dont plan on staying in sydney and move to WA as seems to be place for work and best place to get license.

I am 25 and am just finishing a degree in sustainable electrical and control technology which was a further 3 years of learning after i qualified as an electrician.

Any wise words of what way to go about this?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.