Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

herobear69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with my OSTR electrical exam

Generally both Ireland and Uk sparks are trained to aussie standards and beyond, but I don't know the ins and outs of irish training but there's plenty if paddies,here on the sites
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Aidan1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herobear69
Generally both Ireland and Uk sparks are trained to aussie standards and beyond, but I don't know the ins and outs of irish training but there's plenty if paddies,here on the sites
And was the motor just a basic three phase motor with start stop ?
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aidan1984
And was the motor just a basic three phase motor with start stop ?
I had 3phase DOL with 2 remote starts and 2 remote stops. There is no separate control voltage for the starts/stops so wire from mains.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Ah that's sweet so ...thanks for the quick repky.also did you just have to do insulation resistance test on the motor after ?
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:33 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's sweet so ...thanks for the quick repky.also did you just have to do insulation resistance test on the motor after ?
The DOL was for circuit design and fault finding - they never got as far as putting a deliberate fault on mine as I found a fault with the transformer before hand and another with the circuit connection plugs / sockets they were using

There was also a disconnect / reconnect - check for dead before touching anything, don't forget to check direction and confirm earth on reconnect. Should be plenty of guidance on testing for dead on Vetassess site
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The DOL was for circuit design and fault finding - they never got as far as putting a deliberate fault on mine as I found a fault with the transformer before hand and another with the circuit connection plugs / sockets they were using

There was also a disconnect / reconnect - check for dead before touching anything, don't forget to check direction and confirm earth on reconnect. Should be plenty of guidance on testing for dead on Vetassess site
There was transformer in the practical too?
Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I have everything covered
Old Aug 19th 2015, 5:36 am

There was transformer in the practical too?
Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I have everything covered
The transformer was doing the supply for the motor circuit and wasn't part of the practical as such but there was a transformer in the prac that I did - Identify the primary / secondary windings and test to see if it was functional. I did my prac with Vic Uni.