Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice
Default Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Hi all,

I am booked in for the end of July assessment to gain my provisional electrical license. I have been told there is an interview, theory and practical based exam. Could someone please shed some light on what to revise, brush up on or even what is involved on the day if you have already completed this?

Thank you
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future Skills Electrical Assesment

Hi pturpin1 - I moved your post here as you'll get more responses, but there are already a number of threads on what to expect - although more on Vetassess the tests should be similar enough. This is a recent post with lots of info - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2#post10728072 - but have a read around. I'm not sure I would be spending that money when you are only here for WHV, as there is no quick path from OTSR and provisional license to full A license, and you can work in NSW as an unlicensed spark still.

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pturpin1
Hi all,

I am booked in for the end of July assessment to gain my provisional electrical license. I have been told there is an interview, theory and practical based exam. Could someone please shed some light on what to revise, brush up on or even what is involved on the day if you have already completed this?

Thank you
Are you doing your OTSR through the TEEU by any chance.?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice

Not sure what TEEU is to be honest. The OTSR assessment is with Future Skills though
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

aarone1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am planning going to Perth on a working holiday hopefully longer I have to apply for a restricted (provisional) license,

To gain the provisional license do you apply to energy safe then do you sit this course in Australia ?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aarone1991
Hi
I am planning going to Perth on a working holiday hopefully longer I have to apply for a restricted (provisional) license,

To gain the provisional license do you apply to energy safe then do you sit this course in Australia ?
Hi aarone,

Coming on a WHV to Perth, I wouldn't try to get assessed for the provisional license - I would look for more typical working holiday jobs. If you want to work as an electrician, I would head to NSW and look for unlicensed work. I'm not sure if you could get a trade assistant job in WA, but that would also be an option.

If you are really set on applying for assessment, you will need to complete tradeset report online, and put that with your overseas qualifications for assessment. If they consider you have supplied enough information to show you are skilled, then you would need to do the trade tests which you may have to wait for. If you pass these, which not everyone does first time, you can then apply for a provisional license.

Of course, if you already have an OTSR, then apply for the license when arriving. There is further courses to do, as well as the log book of work which they say is 12 months.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

aarone1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I want to go on the holiday visa because the others are closed ATM and hopefully get it extended. My apprentiship employer moved there last year with his family so I'm hoping that will help me out a bit that there is someone there that has been through the process and can help abit but he didn't have to do gap training and log book so that's why I'm on here getting more advice. I'm going with my gf she is qualified in child care if I got TA I would be landed to get the gap training done but apparently aren't easy come by but here's hoping lol.
It might be a long haul but would be seriously worth it i think. So that's what's motivating me. I'm trying to get my head around the OTSR and Energysafety do I apply for restricted license first or what. I'm struggling to understand what I do first.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by aarone1991
Thanks for the reply.

I want to go on the holiday visa because the others are closed ATM and hopefully get it extended. My apprentiship employer moved there last year with his family so I'm hoping that will help me out a bit that there is someone there that has been through the process and can help abit but he didn't have to do gap training and log book so that's why I'm on here getting more advice. I'm going with my gf she is qualified in child care if I got TA I would be landed to get the gap training done but apparently aren't easy come by but here's hoping lol.
It might be a long haul but would be seriously worth it i think. So that's what's motivating me. I'm trying to get my head around the OTSR and Energysafety do I apply for restricted license first or what. I'm struggling to understand what I do first.
You can't get a supervised electrical workers license without OTSR or ARTC. For OTSR you need to apply to Vetassess, Victoria University or Future Skills as RTO's for TRA. You can start this while not in Australia.

For ARTC, you apply directly to TRA when you are in Australia - you cannot apply from overseas.

I have heard that ARTC takes around 3 months, and initial application is $930 (if a trade test is required, I think this is another $1000 and I don't know who or where they would be done)

OTSR also take a long time - mine was more than 6 months, but this isn't common I don't think. If I remember fees for first assessment were around $800, and second part $1800 but you will need to check those figures.

Once you have one or the other, you need to apply for licence - SA was $401 but I think WA is cheaper.

Gap training is around $2000, and takes 2 - 3 weeks when you can get on a course - I'm doing one in SA now after being here 3 months. There is funding for this in SA but not sure in WA particularly as you will only be WHV.

Once you've done all that, you will still need up to 12 months supervised employment for A license.

Total time to being able to apply for restricted license may be 12 months or more - cost by the time you get license may be $3k, with another $2k for gap training and you still have to find employer!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just finished gap training in WA and it has took me almost a year and I am one of the first to complete it. I would say all in it has cost me around $10K due to having to take 4 weeks off work in total plus course costs and license fees and that does not include the OSTR i got in the UK. You will be very lucky to come here on a WHV do the gap training and get sponsored as i am hearing of a lot of people being let go on these visas at the moment. Some of the people i have met on these courses have been laid off and cant get the logbook filled so could end up taking 18 months plus. I believe you can claim back the course fees on your tax return ( i will find out soon) so that helps a bit.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
I have just finished gap training in WA and it has took me almost a year and I am one of the first to complete it. I would say all in it has cost me around $10K due to having to take 4 weeks off work in total plus course costs and license fees and that does not include the OSTR i got in the UK. You will be very lucky to come here on a WHV do the gap training and get sponsored as i am hearing of a lot of people being let go on these visas at the moment. Some of the people i have met on these courses have been laid off and cant get the logbook filled so could end up taking 18 months plus. I believe you can claim back the course fees on your tax return ( i will find out soon) so that helps a bit.
Hi Colin - Does that mean you can now get your A license?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Yes but i am still fxxxing waiting. I had to get my cert from the tafe waited 1 week for that and then i had to certify my logbook, provisional license and a letter from employer and send it all to vetassess and pay another $132 for the pleasure. They will then send me my cert 3 so i can then go to energy safety for my license. I have waited over a week from vetassess already who called today and said it should be 10 working days! I have been completed my logbook since march. Had to wait to do a comms course and capstone and now this. So there is no way anyone will do this in 6 months. Also Vetassess want you to be working for a year or close to it even if you have filled the logbook out quicker! ARghhh rant over
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:33 am

Yes but i am still fxxxing waiting. I had to get my cert from the tafe waited 1 week for that and then i had to certify my logbook, provisional license and a letter from employer and send it all to vetassess and pay another $132 for the pleasure. They will then send me my cert 3 so i can then go to energy safety for my license. I have waited over a week from vetassess already who called today and said it should be 10 working days! I have been completed my logbook since march. Had to wait to do a comms course and capstone and now this. So there is no way anyone will do this in 6 months. Also Vetassess want you to be working for a year or close to it even if you have filled the logbook out quicker! ARghhh rant over
Well at least the end is in sight - congrats mate
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks now i just need to get a better paying job lol! I am so glad it is all over and done with. I don't know what to do in the evenings now that i dont have to do studying or homework lol
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:53 am

Thanks now i just need to get a better paying job lol! I am so glad it is all over and done with. I don't know what to do in the evenings now that i dont have to do studying or homework lol
Good luck with that - I'm still searching that first job, but only been here 3 months - and got the initial gap training at the mo. Don't know how I'm gonna get this log book though
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point

One big pain in the hole.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.