Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sparky -EWRB reference letter issues ; visa ; nz life

Sparky -EWRB reference letter issues ; visa ; nz life

Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Daz1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sparky -EWRB reference letter issues ; visa ; nz life

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help me. I need to get four years worth of references from previous employers to submit to the EWRB in NZ. The problem is, I have largely been employed by agencies, who will only confirm dates and job title. The template letters I have seen on here include types of work done and hours etc. Have any sparks who have been working for agencies in the U.K got around this?
I hope I'm not screwed at the first hurdle!
Thanks in advance!
Old May 1st 2015, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Darrenb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EWRB reference letter issues due to being employed by agencies?!

Hi Daz,

I applied for my EWRB licence in June 2013 and i provided two references, One of the references was very well written and just stated that he had known and employed me for 5 years, but he did'nt supply any dates or evidence but did say I was a well rounded sparky who was capable of all work types. The other reference was terrible and looked like a child had wrote it but i submitted it and they accepted it. You could maybe ask a friend who works for himself to provide a reference, Or your supervisor who you worked under at the agency.
The EWRB is a bit of a shambles and will maybe not check on your references/creative writing, Due to the fact that NZ office hours never match UK office hours. At the end of the day they are not giving you a license on the back of your references, they are going to make you sit a practical and regulations exam

By the way you can only sit the licencing exams in November and June and they require you to sign up and pay 3 months in advance
Old May 1st 2015, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Hello mate, Thanks for the reply!
I've managed to get detailed company references covering at least 2000 hours, with the rest made up of agency ones. I understand that as long as you have 8000 hours in total you should be o.k. Like you say, they're not giving you a licence, only the opportunity to be assessed for one, so any 6 week wonders would get found out at that stage! How did you find the regs and practical? I've seen past papers and there was a fair bit of working out to do with volt-drop calcs etc, and star/delta motors etc on the practical which I haven't done since college, but other than that it doesn't seem a million miles away from the usual day to day stuff...? Also where are you in NZ? I'm guessing Christchurch is where a lot of the work is? How do you find the rates and work/life balance? Sorry for all the questions but I might as well pick your brains as you've done it yourself...
Thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd 2015, 5:10 am
Just Joined

The Regs exam is nothing to worry about really, its open book they ask a question and you answer by stating the paragraph and regs number. You have got to know your way around the book though. There is past exams and model answers on the EWRB website. Maximum Demand and volt drop are ALWAYS in it but that is an 20 easy marks with a bit of practise. The asnz regs is basically the same as the UK regs so no sweat really.

with regards to work, depends where you are the rate differs from place to place, and there is no set national rate its what you can negotiate, contract rates tend to be a flat rates per hour, all hours ranging from 45 to 55 an d then you charge Vat on top so you can claim fuel/exspenses back. Then working direct for somebody on the books so to say, Can range from 25 to 35 per hour, with overtime on top and probably a veicle and a phone thrown in. Christchurch is certainly busy for work but there is work all over NZ, it depends what your background is. If you are a competent spark in the UK you will never be out of work in NZ.

New Zealand can be very expensive, day to day and there is very few things cheaper in NZ than the UK
Old May 2nd 2015, 5:11 am
Just Joined

When are you thinking of arriving in NZ
Old May 2nd 2015, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Ok cheers mate, that's put my mind at rest a bit! My background is mainly commercial/industrial but I've been doing only new-build domestic recently. Commercial sparks slag housebashers off, but after a year of 3.30 finishes, a radio blaring all day and no ridiculous PPE requirements like wearing safety specs 24/7, I don't want to go back to the prison camps most big sites are. I was kinda hoping NZ would be a bit more chilled like that, maybe I'm just dreaming lol?!
And yeah I did a year in Oz and everything was at least double the price of back home, but the wages made up for it. I remember my kiwi mates out there telling me NZ was a bit cheaper, but then the wages were lower.
I'm really after a lifestyle change, and it sounds like I could earn enough to be comfortable and that's all that matters really.
Anyway, depending on the EWRB outcome, I'm hoping to have a visa sorted by the end of the year, hopefully that's not too unrealistic?
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Nz is way more laid back than the UK. its laid back you dont get people running round shouting about deadlines, everyone is more bothered about going fishing, surfing or what ever hobbies they do. Ive been here for nearly 3 years and ive worked 2 Saturdays and on one job i was on, I only worked monday to thursday for 5 months, just did 4 10 hour shifts and had a long weekend.

Dont worry about the money, if you are single or dont have kids you easily earn enough to live very comfortably,

Have you thought about a WHV thats what i came out on, 23 month visa then got my licence and the residency was easy as after that
Old May 3rd 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Ah that's good to know! I'm not afraid of hard work, but as you know in the U.K it's never enough! It makes me laugh with some blokes bragging how much money they're earning, despite doing 7x12 hour shifts a week to get it - I'd rather have a life thanks! I haven't got kids but unlike the missus I'm over 30 so can't get a whv, although BUNAC do one for 18-35s but it's only 12 months. We want to travel around for a couple of months anyway, so not sure what route to go. The immigration woman said I could do a 6 month visa waiver, or a work-to-residency 30 month one, but I'm not sure if I need a job for that? I'll call them again to clarify...Also Down Under Tradies Group can get you your whole license while in the U.K. You do the regs, Stage 3 practical, H&S, first aid and CPR all at their office in Isleworth. It's not cheap at £2495 which is nearly $5000NZ, but like you said, they only run the regs course twice a year in NZ, so if you're on a short visa it could bite you on the arse and you'd have to pay for more plane tickets to come back and re-sit it, so I'm gonna pay for the peace of mind.
I'll let you know how it works out mate!
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi guys.

I'm moving this to the New Zealand forum as you will have more people there to contribute to this topic. Especially when it comes to cost of living ; which visa may/may not be feasible; work prospects and the like.

I actually live in New Zealand. My plumbing husband and I emigrated 11 years ago.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:13 pm
`

Originally Posted by Daz1980
The immigration woman said I could do a 6 month visa waiver, or a work-to-residency 30 month one, but I'm not sure if I need a job for that?
I have never heard of a six month visa waiver. Has anyone else?

UK general visitors visas span six months. This is probably the visa. Those are for the purposes of holidaying in New Zealand , although some people do use them to come over and job search . That is not strictly kosher but it does happen. We did that.

If you found a job offer , you could in theory remain in New Zealand by then applying for a temporary work permit whilst still in New Zealand or a work to resident temp work permit if the job offer terms allow for that.

A work to residence visa requires a job offer.

Originally Posted by Daz1980
....but like you said, they only run the regs course twice a year in NZ, so if you're on a short visa it could bite you on the arse and you'd have to pay for more plane tickets to come back and re-sit it
I think you should hold your horses there a bit. I'm not sure what you mean TBH.
Whether or not you have a full practicing license has nothing to do with your ability to remain in New Zealand. It will be whether or not you have the right visa and the right to remain.
You could gain the license in the UK , however that in itself does not give you the right to live and work in New Zealand.
If you find an NZ job offer, you will be able to work under a limited practicing license until you gain your full license.

edit to add links to older threads.

Here is a previous thread <--- click link

Last edited by BEVS; May 3rd 2015 at 10:17 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Sparky -EWRB reference letter issues ; visa ; nz life

Hi, thanks for the info. Yeah I think that 6 month visa you mentioned would be the one they told me about, as they said as a commonwealth citizen I wouldn't need a visa but couldn't work obviously. I know that having the licence doesn't allow you to reside in the country, it was just that with the courses only being run twice yearly I'd rather be able to hit the ground running, and not worry about having a limited cert and having to try to book onto certain courses, especially ones that are only run twice yearly. I did read on the forums that a lot of companies want you to have a full licence so I guess it's a bit like having a JIB card over here. Not all firms are bothered about it but it's worth it as it doesn't limit you to certain jobs. O.k here's a question for you. If I get my licence but want to come over and travel a bit, and don't necessarily want to be tied to one firm (I've been a subbie for 12 years, and enjoy the flexibility), what is the visa to apply for? My mate in Oz was sponsored on a 457 and hated the firm but couldn't leave, and then they went bust and he went through a lot of hassle to stay, not a situation I want to get into if possible...Thanks in advance!
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:35 pm
`

NZ trade licensing here is not per UK JIB. The licensing here is a legal requirement & trade specific . The testing, exams and practicals are to ensure the overseas person matches the same standards as expected and given for New Zealand tradesmen ... if you see what I mean. All firms need to be bothered about trade licenses as it is illegal to work in the trade without one. Both the trade worker and the company can be heavily fined and suspended from working in that trade.
They want to know that the overseas person has had the same training and work exerience as their own 4 year time served apprentices .

If you wish to come to NZ and travel a bit then you would do that under a visitor visa. It allows you six months. You may not work under that visa. I have read you are too old to uplift a working holiday visa.

If you find an NZ job offer in your trade, then you will need to be licensed as you know. Either full or restricted as long as licensed. You would apply for a temporary work permit (onshore) visa (offshore) for the length of the employment contract offered. It ties you to that employer.
If you leave that job to work for someone else, then you apply all over again for another temp. work visa/permit. It will be fees every time.

If you decide you wish to become permanently resident in New Zealand you would do so under one of possibly two visas, Skilled resident which ties you to the employer for three months ( unless you have already been employed with said employer for 3 months ) or a work to residence which could tie you to the employer for 2 years.

Once you have residency you are free to work for whosoever you please as that is not a form of temporary visa.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the great info. I'm even more determined now to ensure I get my licence sorted out! It's good to know there are plenty of options regarding visas/work permits, and if I did want to eventually go for residency I wouldn't be locked in to an employer. A major gripe of people I know who emigrated to Aus/NZ and took a permanent job, is that due to the standard 4 weeks annual leave they had to decide between a few weeks back home or a holiday that year. Some even came back because of that! I'd rather work self-employed and have the flexibility to do both. That's getting ahead of myself though, I need to pass the EWRB requirements, then be approved for a visa, then see what life is like in NZ. One step at a time eh?
Old May 4th 2015, 11:13 pm
`

Everyone the world over who is an employee has to decide what is the best use of annual leave. Employers here in the trade world can be flexible about unpaid leave so it is only an issue if finances do not allow for visits to family overseas + a more usual holiday .

As becoming self-employed seems to be an important NZ goal for you, simply ensure that you will be eligible to apply for NZ residency . The quckets route for you would be under the skilled migrant category and is a points based system. 140 points is an automatic draw from the pool. Those applications with jobs attached have priority . That is because it shows an ability to financially settle.

Points Indicator
<--- click link

It is completely up to you what, where and how you spend your money with regard to EWRB licensing.

You will not gain a work visa without a job offer first. It is job offer and then work visa.
Try to ensure that the job offer is for at least two years.
In brief - With that you can book one way tickets if you wish. You will be able to bring in your worldly possessions without tax issues . you will be eligible for public funded health case.

A visitors visa requires no paperwork at all. You simply book return flights and hey ho.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks for some more great advice. It's good to know that employers in the trade can be flexible like that, it's something to consider for sure. I guess having worked for quite a few bad employers in the U.K, I've enjoyed being able to vote with my feet without worrying about deportation! I think I'm going to try and get a 1 year BUNAC visa, as that would allow me to work and travel for 12 months, and hopefully I'll find an employer in that time who I like and they like me, who would get me a work visa. There are only 300 BUNAC visas a year up for grabs, compared to the 5000 whvs issued, so there's a fair chance I don't get one, but it's my preferred option. If it doesn't happen then I'll have to re-assess my situation.
Thanks for all the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.