Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electricians of the world unite

electricians of the world unite

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:59 am
Just Joined

jimtracey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electricians of the world unite

Thanks Arthur,
I won't be going self-employed as I am a Maintenance Electrician and prefer working for other people! Is the A class licence necessary for this type of work, i.e. PLC's, motor inverters, and the associated control gear for machines, or would this be a reduced licence since I will not be doing any installation work?
Cheers
Jim
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Jim, you will definatley need the A class license for maint work its as simple as that

arthur
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
unfortunately john no one uses it
Hello mate,

just found the electricians bit. Wished we'd sorted it AGES ago really, but it doesn't really matter now. Got all the info I'll EVER need and more.

How's the Oz wiring regs revision going then?

Only 11 weeks to go huh? Shiite indeed!!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Hello mate,

just found the electricians bit. Wished we'd sorted it AGES ago really, but it doesn't really matter now. Got all the info I'll EVER need and more.

How's the Oz wiring regs revision going then?

Only 11 weeks to go huh? Shiite indeed!!

unfortunately its still on my desk
too bloody busy at the moment
but in the brief time i have spent with
its seems very similar to 7671
o with the exception of a link from neutral to earth in dist boards

how you getting on mate and what stage are you at???
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

jimtracey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Arthur,
Hope I can count on you for info when the time comes. I've just aquired a PDF of the Aus wiring regs, so I suppose I'd better start reading them.
Cheers
Jim
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Jim, honestly mate dont stress about the wiring rules once you get your head round the meaning of them they are OK, the problem is when you are in the exam and you find the faults on the faults board then you must find the blasted wiring rule with the accurate wiring rule no and any sub numbers.

so dont worry mate when you are near the time we shall have a chat about faults and especially the testing of the installation thats very different and only because they introduce small values of resistance in the installation but again i can give you advice on how to approach this area and if you stick to it like glue regardless of how the results on the meters look like you will be fine.
regards

Arthur
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
unfortunately its still on my desk
too bloody busy at the moment
but in the brief time i have spent with
its seems very similar to 7671
o with the exception of a link from neutral to earth in dist boards

how you getting on mate and what stage are you at???
What, there is a link or there isn't a link? Surely with a link it's just a TNC-S system of sorts then?
Waiting for the visa at the moment fella. Sent Visa Application 26/4/06 and it was acknowledged 4/5/06. House is on the market, meds and police checks done, so just waiting for a buyer. Oh, and hopefully the visa
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtracey
Thanks Arthur,
Hope I can count on you for info when the time comes. I've just aquired a PDF of the Aus wiring regs, so I suppose I'd better start reading them.
Cheers
Jim
May sound like a daft question, but where did you get the PDF?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john_w
May sound like a daft question, but where did you get the PDF?
Available here geezer

Think long and hard before ordering the pdf version tho. Wished I'd ordered the hard copy as it's easier to study from. Will cost you an ENTIRE cartridge of ink to print it out at home.

Make sure you get the latest copy too with all the latest revisions.

Andy
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jim, the exams here in Melbourne are a nightmare mate you must obtain 75% in part A & B to pass the exams are set to put you under pressure they pull you from pillar to post for 4 to 5 hours there is only 5 people who may sit the exams at one go.

i would recommend you to the 12 week course in the evenings to pass the thing it can be done at the TAFE (college) i must say thats your best bet its completely different from the UK even though it may seem the same the cable description is different. even connecting RC D's with independent neutral bars if different. and i mean in Australia they use MEN multiple earthed neutral thats where the neutral & earth bar at the switchboard are connected together, Its a nightmare and they explain all this on the evening course.

Arthur
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jim, there is NO TNC-S here mate every installation has its own earth copper bar buried direct in the ground to a depth of 1.2mtrs.

at every switchboard there is a link connecting the neutral & earth bar together, so Never touch a neutral bar with power on, if you measure between any earth bar & neutral bar you will always find a voltage.???

I know it seems like a nightmare NO TNC-S but thats life here mate and wait until you see some of the workman ship its as rough as a butchers dog, they hardly ever use steel conduit for owt its mainly PVC, i have not seen many sparks here who can make a bend in steel trunking (duct), let alone Pyro most sparks here have never used it.

Arthur
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE= if you measure between any earth bar & neutral bar you will always find a voltage.???

Arthur[/QUOTE]

With the link connected??
Also no more pyro....yippee!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

This is an excellent thread, I have found it very difficult to get info for Sparks!!
Is the Aus wiring rules book written out the same as the bs7671, if so does anyone know of a good book that explains the rules more simply
Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:15 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
This is an excellent thread, I have found it very difficult to get info for Sparks!!
Is the Aus wiring rules book written out the same as the bs7671, if so does anyone know of a good book that explains the rules more simply
theres loads of info on here mate
try a BE search on electrical licencing

regards steve
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:11 am

electricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really nice

wow thanks guys brilliant replys

i will have to dust down the pyro stripper, not so sure about testing an iron tho still they are the questions eh.
i am a little bit rusty at the moment as i have been in the office for 18 months now as a contract manager/project engineer but i am sure it will all come back to me.
as for the link from the neutral to earth is this not what we would call a pme system as that is the same theory and practice.
why does everyone say oz sparks are rough and slow?
if this is the case is there the opportunity to do price work
i could then work 3 days and earn same money as my fellow workers hohoho :scared:
that leaves more time for the beach and tooheys.
all i need now is for someone to buy the house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.