Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to live and work in NZ

Electrician wanting to live and work in NZ

Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Tom_01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician wanting to live and work in NZ

Hello guys

Wanting to migrate and work in NZ as a sparks with my partner.

I have all the required C and G quals from an advanced apprenticeship. NVQ, AM2, 17th plus ECS gold carded. Did a part P domestic course but didn't register for part P as I work within my family run firm. I've got roughly 7 years experience as I went straight from school into work.
I've covered every aspect of electrical installation work. Plus commercial. Fabricating my own tray and basket etc. As were approved contractors.

Reasons are probably as most. UK sucks haha.

Just looking for a bit of advice with regards to what happens next.

I've been with my partner for 4 1/2 years although not married. She has her personal licence and was assistant manager of a pub. Left the pub trade as its slave labour when on salary.

I understand I need to re-qualify to NZ regs.

We're planning a few months travelling towards the end of year. Going to include NZ to see if we actually like the place first.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to live and work in NZ

Originally Posted by Tom_01
Hello guys

Wanting to migrate and work in NZ as a sparks with my partner.

I have all the required C and G quals from an advanced apprenticeship. NVQ, AM2, 17th plus ECS gold carded. Did a part P domestic course but didn't register for part P as I work within my family run firm. I've got roughly 7 years experience as I went straight from school into work.
I've covered every aspect of electrical installation work. Plus commercial. Fabricating my own tray and basket etc. As were approved contractors.

Reasons are probably as most. UK sucks haha.

Just looking for a bit of advice with regards to what happens next.

I've been with my partner for 4 1/2 years although not married. She has her personal licence and was assistant manager of a pub. Left the pub trade as its slave labour when on salary.

I understand I need to re-qualify to NZ regs.

We're planning a few months travelling towards the end of year. Going to include NZ to see if we actually like the place first.

Cheers
Hi there and welcome

To work as an electrician in Australia or New Zealand, you need to be licensed. To obtain a license, you will need to show you have the skills required.

Your 7 years experience wont all count as only skilled work counts, and you need to show your training. I'm not familiar with all the requirements in NZ (my license is for South Australia) but info should be here - Home | Electrical Workers Registration Board

There are a few posters around who have qualified to work in NZ. If none pass by here you can also try the NZ section - New Zealand - British Expats