electrician in NSW

Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician in NSW

I am an electrician with over 10 yrs experience who has also ran his own business. I have been assessed by the TRA and have recently dispatched medicals. How long does the licence application take and is there anything i can do from the uk to start the ball rolling? any help would be of great help thanks
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default Re: electrician in NSW

Originally Posted by surfsup
I am an electrician with over 10 yrs experience who has also ran his own business. I have been assessed by the TRA and have recently dispatched medicals. How long does the licence application take and is there anything i can do from the uk to start the ball rolling? any help would be of great help thanks

Hi there! what state are you going to as they differ,and do you know about getting an ARTC before you can apply for your licence?,once you have your ARTC you then have to apply for you licence,which can take months as you have to do a course /s depending on what the TRA classify you as.
you can do most of the ARTC from here but if they want you to do a trade test it will delay everything until you get over there and do it.Then you have to apply to the licencing mob in whatever state you are in and jump though their hoops,to get it so its not easy for some if you want to work you have no choice but do it.
Cheers L rri
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi there! what state are you going to as they differ,and do you know about getting an ARTC before you can apply for your licence?,once you have your ARTC you then have to apply for you licence,which can take months as you have to do a course /s depending on what the TRA classify you as.
you can do most of the ARTC from here but if they want you to do a trade test it will delay everything until you get over there and do it.Then you have to apply to the licencing mob in whatever state you are in and jump though their hoops,to get it so its not easy for some if you want to work you have no choice but do it.
Cheers L rri

What is an ARTC I cannot find any websites here and in oz about it? I am an electrical installer (general electrician) is it still relevant to my trade in NSW? TRA did not mention it they told me my next stage was licencing. Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Smile Re: electrician in NSW

What is an ARTC I cannot find any websites here and in oz about it? I am an electrical installer (general electrician) is it still relevant to my trade in NSW? TRA did not mention it they told me my next stage was licencing. Thanks
An ARTC is the second part of the TRA,you get your skills/ trade assessed by TRA that gives you your visa into the country,then you have to do the same thing again a but usually on shore ,then you apply for a licence,they say you have to do whatever course to get an open licence ,then you can work as an electrician,until you have done all that there is no way you can work,as a sparky ,it is ok to work as a TA but not as much money and NO live work.
Cheers,
Lorri
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Timvic is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently living in Nsw and going through the licensing process. There is no quick way of obtaining a license which is called a 'Qualified Supervisors electrical License'. This does not mean you are a supervisor but is just a generic term meaning you can over look someone elses work who hasn't got a license.
I applied to the ARTC for my electrical mechanichal/fitter certificate but they would only give me an electrical fitters certificate as i am mainly a maintenance electrician. You need both which actually comes as one certificate to be able to apply for a license. Electrical mechanic is an installation electrician to us and an electrical fitter is a maintenance electrician.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what certificate you get as when you apply for your license at the 'Office of Fair Trading' it will tell you that everybody, Australian or English have to have Certificate 3 in electrical wiring, which you need to enrol at T.A.F.E and either study full time, part time of by correspondance. This can take between 18 months or upto 9/12 months by correspondance.Also newly arrived immigrants need to have the last 12 months log book showing everything you have done since you arrived in Australia at your place of work.

So basically you need your ARTC certificates then you have to obtain a certificate 3 in electrical wiring and also at the same time complete 12 months log book to send of to the office of fair trading along with your boss's statement saying what a great bloke you are and that you have actually done the work that your claiming and you deserve to be awarded a license.

Of course this is for Nsw and every state has different rules.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:50 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get work without a licence. Slightly less money but its is possible.