Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electrician moving to canada help needed

electrician moving to canada help needed

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician moving to canada help needed

Hi guys i'm looking to move move to canada in april as a qualified electrician but keep hitting brick walls in terms of what i need to do trade wise, is there a step by step guide or anybody know what i need.
cheers kirk
p.s i'll be moving to ontario
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician moving to canada help needed

I have no idea about electricians but check out the Wiki for details of immigration. You won't be moving in April I'm afraid - permanent residency application are currently taking around 5 years to process! One way to do it quicker is to get a job offer and then apply for a temporary work permit which then reduces the time to a few months, however, your potential employer needs to prove to Canadian government that they have advertised the position extensively and cannot find a Canadian citizen to do the job. I have no idea if electricians are in short supply so you might want to do a search and see what you can find on that, if they are then you could well get in quicker on a temporary work permit.

Start reading and figuring out. Best of luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

I'm gonna come over on a working holiday visa its more the exams i have to do to work as a electrician. cheers tho
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see! Sorry, didn't realise you were already set up for BUNAC. Thought you wanted a step by step guide to visas! Have fun - wish I was under 30 again and I'd do the same!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

lol no worries hopefully if i like what i see a permenant move could be on the cards.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:01 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
Hi guys i'm looking to move move to canada in april as a qualified electrician but keep hitting brick walls in terms of what i need to do trade wise, is there a step by step guide or anybody know what i need.
cheers kirk
p.s i'll be moving to ontario
Hi
You need to meet with the government of Ontario apprenticeship branch and ask to have your qualifications and experience assessed with regards to challenging the interprovincial exam for Journeyman Electrician.
There are 3 types of Electrician: Power for Electricity Supply industries; Industrial for Maintenance in factories and Construction for anything from domestic to industrial- ie. a bit more than a house basher.
Some provinces have outlawed 'helpers', what the English would call a 'mate', you either have to be a registered apprentice or a Journeyman (the term they use to identify a fully qualified tradesman. So this in itself makes it difficult for immigrants to get there foot in the door.
The road is a difficult one, both in studying for the exam and learning the vast differences in North American practises and terminology from that of UK, but with effort it is achievable and you are payed well and highly regarded when compared to UK.

Darren
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

so i will have to wait till i get over there to do anything?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:34 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
so i will have to wait till i get over there to do anything?
It is 100 times easier if you are here, I met them during a 2 week recce trip to Canada, I was able to have my qualifications and experience recognised by a government rep and he gave me a letter of intent to say that I was eligible to challenge the exam for Industrial Electrician.
If you are leaning more towards Construction there is a lot more resource to 'pass' the exam, most Constructon Electricians will not be proficient in the things they study for during there apprenticeship schooling, but learn enough to get through the exam- the same one that you would take, but without the 10 weeks of school that they have to prepare.
I think the Construction exam is around 70% code where you are allowed the book, and 30% electrical principles including PLC's etc.

Darren