IELTS and tradeset Oz

Old May 4th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

yorkshire4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS and tradeset Oz

Hi, just got a couple of questions
1 the IELTS has 2 different exams, i guess ì would need the general one as opposed to the academic one, am i right?
2 after completing the self evaluation you then pay the money to gather the certificates and references, if you have "failed" at this point would they tell you or would they still get you to complete the practical, thus charging you more money?
The reason i ask number 2 is that i have been employed by a company for 10 years or more and my qualifications, though all city and guilds electrical level3 do not get me the JIB gold card, does anybody know if this would be a hinderance?, during my time with these guys i have done all sorts, 3 phase, pyro, solar p.v., national trust listed buildings, commercial, industrial. All as an electrician, so i have a wide range of experience and skills, just dont have that JIB card?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old May 4th 2017, 12:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS and tradeset Oz

Originally Posted by yorkshire4
Hi, just got a couple of questions
1 the IELTS has 2 different exams, i guess ì would need the general one as opposed to the academic one, am i right?
2 after completing the self evaluation you then pay the money to gather the certificates and references, if you have "failed" at this point would they tell you or would they still get you to complete the practical, thus charging you more money?
The reason i ask number 2 is that i have been employed by a company for 10 years or more and my qualifications, though all city and guilds electrical level3 do not get me the JIB gold card, does anybody know if this would be a hinderance?, during my time with these guys i have done all sorts, 3 phase, pyro, solar p.v., national trust listed buildings, commercial, industrial. All as an electrician, so i have a wide range of experience and skills, just dont have that JIB card?

Thanks in advance for your help
If you are from the UK (citizen with UK passport) you only need to sit IELTS if you need points. You can sit either test as DIBP don't mind which you do, but most people do the general as they think it's easier.

Tradeset is a free service - you shouldn't be paying money for this. You do pay for the first part of the skills assessment as that is in no way linked to tradeset, but they do want to see what you consider you have covered.

Having a JIB card or not does not matter - I didn't / don't. I do industrial maintenance, repair and improvement. If you do fail the paper evaluation though, you will be told where they think you fall short I believe, and you do not progress to the practical part - nor do you pay for that part of the assessment.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are from the UK (citizen with UK passport) you only need to sit IELTS if you need points. You can sit either test as DIBP don't mind which you do, but most people do the general as they think it's easier.

Tradeset is a free service - you shouldn't be paying money for this. You do pay for the first part of the skills assessment as that is in no way linked to tradeset, but they do want to see what you consider you have covered.

Having a JIB card or not does not matter - I didn't / don't. I do industrial maintenance, repair and improvement. If you do fail the paper evaluation though, you will be told where they think you fall short I believe, and you do not progress to the practical part - nor do you pay for that part of the assessment.
Thanks, yes i meant the skills assessment😁
I have to do the IELTS because im 42, got a centre here in york so have spoke to them already, they said to make sure i had the right course first.

Thanks!
Old May 4th 2017, 11:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes i meant the skills assessment� ����
I have to do the IELTS because im 42, got a centre here in york so have spoke to them already, they said to make sure i had the right course first.

Thanks!
I did the academic test as someone told me if I needed all 8's or better I had to do that one - wrong but never mind. General is good enough for DIBP, and they also accept Toefl iBT, Pearson's PTE, etc - info here https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/aelt
Old May 5th 2017, 5:51 am
Just Joined

I did the academic test as someone told me if I needed all 8's or better I had to do that one - wrong but never mind. General is good enough for DIBP, and they also accept Toefl iBT, Pearson's PTE, etc - info here https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/aelt
Thanks for that, we have a pearsons here too (ive done the emergency light and fire alarm test there many times! 😂) might go for tht one.

Whilst im here, how qualified do you need to be to pat test (test and tag?) Is it only licensed sparks or anyone? Just thinking if i got there and couldn't find an employer to complete my year training with. Or have other guys found employment easily?
Old May 5th 2017, 7:34 am

Thanks for that, we have a pearsons here too (ive done the emergency light and fire alarm test there many times! 😂) might go for tht one.

Whilst im here, how qualified do you need to be to pat test (test and tag?) Is it only licensed sparks or anyone? Just thinking if i got there and couldn't find an employer to complete my year training with. Or have other guys found employment easily?
You would need to be licensed to test and tag I think.

finding work can be hard but perseverance usually pays off. If you can have enough savings to give yourself a three to six month safety net, it will take some of the pressure off. Where are you headed?
Old May 5th 2017, 8:26 am
Just Joined

You would need to be licensed to test and tag I think.

finding work can be hard but perseverance usually pays off. If you can have enough savings to give yourself a three to six month safety net, it will take some of the pressure off. Where are you headed?
We will be looking at settling near Brisbane, we recently returned to the UK after staying with some friends that lived about an hour north, they made us promise to stay with them again whilst we get settled if the visa comes through that is.
Old May 6th 2017, 4:38 am

We will be looking at settling near Brisbane, we recently returned to the UK after staying with some friends that lived about an hour north, they made us promise to stay with them again whilst we get settled if the visa comes through that is.
Some of the tips I was given included making friends with the local wholesalers as they can tell you who has a lot of work on usually, if domestic / commercial work is your area.

Making friends with recruiters can go in your favour sometimes, as if they understand the process, they can put you forward for jobs where you can get the supervision, as well as developing contacts for later.

Applying for jobs advertised by the employer rather than a recruiter can mean that you don't get rejected at a pre-screen. Most of my interviews have come from this.

Having a good LinkedIn profile can also work for you - I've picked up a couple of interviews this way.

Find out who does the gap training - they may be able to help find work too.

Hope that helps
Old May 6th 2017, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Some of the tips I was given included making friends with the local wholesalers as they can tell you who has a lot of work on usually, if domestic / commercial work is your area.

Making friends with recruiters can go in your favour sometimes, as if they understand the process, they can put you forward for jobs where you can get the supervision, as well as developing contacts for later.

Applying for jobs advertised by the employer rather than a recruiter can mean that you don't get rejected at a pre-screen. Most of my interviews have come from this.

Having a good LinkedIn profile can also work for you - I've picked up a couple of interviews this way.

Find out who does the gap training - they may be able to help find work too.

Hope that helps
Fantastic info, thanks!
Im not panicking yet anyway, im not even into the country! This weekend or next im going to re do my trade set as i think i was too vague on the last part, then I'll fill in the future skills and collect my stuff for that and away we go!