Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical/Mining work on WHM visa?

Electrical/Mining work on WHM visa?

Old May 9th 2007, 9:34 pm
n00b

80s kev will become famous soon enough
Default Electrical/Mining work on WHM visa?

gday ,

im a regular reader of the is forum (although i havent posted on here before now). i wonder if anyone answer my queries on mining in oz.

im kev, im 27 and from england. ive got a years working holiday maker visa and plan to travel to oz in the next month or so. i then plan to do 3 months fruit picking/harvest work to qualify to have my visa extended by a further year. further to this, i beleive that mining work is considered valid.

rather than going down the route of bar work etc like most backpackers. i want to work on sites as an electrician or similar.

it is not possible to register for an electrical licence or even a restricted electrical licence with the visa that i have.

the best i can obtain is a basic health and safety blue/green cards, and work as an electrical assistant/labourer.

id be more than happy to undertake any training/college courses at my own time and expense in order to improve my chances of employment in oz.

however, a term of my visa is that i cant attend college for more than 4 months in a year, so short/intenstive course/s would be better for me.

another term of my visa is that i cant work for the same employer for more than 6 months.

do you know if backpackers are ever employed employed as electricians, particularly in the mines?

ideally id like to do electricians, or electricians labouring work, but basically id take any work offered.

i served an apprenticeship in a job more related to electronics than to what i do now, although similar to electrical.

ive been in the electrical for about the last 5 years, and i am qualified up to higher national diploma level in electrical engineering, and have UK 16th edition wiring regs certificate.

i was a test engineer in a welding machine factory for 2 years.

i was a panel wireman/electrical fitter for a low voltage switchgear company for about 3 months, assembling and wiring switchboards, motor control centres, operating theater panels, distribution boards etc.

i then went to work for ABB low voltage switchgear as a panel wireman/electrical fitter for about 6 months, assembling and wiring sswitchboards, motor control centres, intelligent motor control centres, distribution boards, and power distribution boards.

my current job is an electrical test engineer at the same company. ive done this job for two years. i perform visual inspection, insulation resistance and high pressure tests, primary and secondary current injection, and full functional testing of all the kit we manufacture.

last year i worked on-site on an oil export terminal in far eastern russia for 6 weeks commissioning motor control centres, and in an gas export terminal in azerbaijan for 2 weeks performing maintenance and repairs to motor control centres.

id very much appreciate youre honest opinion on my chances of finding electrical work, mining or not, giving my circumstances ie, not a fully time-served electrician, no australian qualifications, no mining experience, 6 months work limit a 4 months study limit on my visa.

please tell me if you think its worth me persuing work in the mines and how to go about it, or if i should stick to labouring on building sites/house bashing etc.

thanks in advance

kev

Last edited by 80s kev; May 9th 2007 at 9:40 pm.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical/Mining work on WHM visa?

kev, to be honest i would forget about the mining work. for a start, although the coal industry does'nt require the state licences to be employed as an electrician in the mines you will be required to hold an australian recognised trade certificate as an electrical fitter or maybe even an electrical mechanic depending on the employer. Either way they are going to want references showing that you have done work in mines before they are willing to let you lose.

For them to employ someone for 6 months they are going to want them to be up too speed with the equipment, systems and the environment.

However you might get lucky with recruitment companies in WA as i did when i was backpacking and get a trade assistant job out at one of the open casts. it paid $30 per hour with free food and accom. however, i got this on the back of a strong c.v that displayed relevant knowlege and experiance in the industry.

My advice to you would be to look for jobs doing panel wiring which i knew a couple of backpackers were doing around the brisbane area. paid around $25 per hour.

You might even get a job with a testing company.

You will meet a lot of people whilst backpacking and a handful will be tradies too, this is where you will pick up potential employment contacts.

besides, who wants to work in the middle of the f###ing desert doing mining work when there supposed to be enjoying themselves???? ????