Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

timpage74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Hi I'm UK electrician, in Brisbane, I am waiting for 176 visa to come through, I thought the TRA was a National thing and all applications go to Melbourne.

Did this way work for you, and did you then apply for license in Adelaide or NSW?

currently studying my wiring rules, but can't apply for full license when I pass it because I don't have permanent residency yet. Without PR I can't get my ARTC, just a big catch 22 over here isn't it?

Also when you applied for ARTC did you give employer references, I mainly worked as a sub contractor, so had trouble getting a lot of references due to having so many different jobs.

Tim

Originally Posted by wyldeone
Hi Guys

Well I'm UNSTRESSED now.

I decided to apply for Trades Recognition through the NSW's system, which is basically the same as the TRA. It took three weeks and only $150 and now i have a certificate to pursue my electrical licence.

All I have to do now is sit the wiring reg course and then I can apply for my licence in NSW, then just cross it over to QLD.

I would recommend this route to anyone was having trouble getting there electrical trade recognised. Technically you are suppose to be a resident of NSW but I guess because I live 10 minutes from the border they made an exception.

My advise about the TRA is if u can't prove you have 7 years experience then don't bother applying, they are unhelpful and i found that every time I spoke to someone I got a different answer.

Well i can finally stop being a wingeing pom.

Thanx Folks
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timpage74
Hi I'm UK electrician, in Brisbane, I am waiting for 176 visa to come through, I thought the TRA was a National thing and all applications go to Melbourne.

Did this way work for you, and did you then apply for license in Adelaide or NSW?

currently studying my wiring rules, but can't apply for full license when I pass it because I don't have permanent residency yet. Without PR I can't get my ARTC, just a big catch 22 over here isn't it?

Also when you applied for ARTC did you give employer references, I mainly worked as a sub contractor, so had trouble getting a lot of references due to having so many different jobs.

Tim
sorry tim but who ever told you you coudnt apply is wrong
as long as you have a visa to be in the country, temp or permanant you can apply for an artc

TRA carries out skills assessments for Australian residents (including people who are in Australia on a working holiday visa or an employer sponsored visa) in 49 electrical and metal trades under the Tradesmen’s Rights Regulation Act 1946 (the TRR Act).

from the artc website

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

get applying mate
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

timpage74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry tim but who ever told you you coudnt apply is wrong
as long as you have a visa to be in the country, temp or permanant you can apply for an artc

TRA carries out skills assessments for Australian residents (including people who are in Australia on a working holiday visa or an employer sponsored visa) in 49 electrical and metal trades under the Tradesmen’s Rights Regulation Act 1946 (the TRR Act).

from the artc website

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

get applying mate
Thanks SteveO. I apologise my post wasn't very clear, I'm over here on a holiday visa, My girlfriend has residency, I am forever trying to get a job on a 457 visa, until my 176 comes through (IF!!) but obviously no employer really wants that hassle. So having to go back and forth from UK.

Also Steve, I am trying to be as prepared as possible for when I do get my PR. Where is a good place to get decent sparky tools? Mine are all in the UK as I need them for when I have to go back, but I also have to be ready to go here in case by some miracle someone offers me a job.

Thanks Tim
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

chris_at_forum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Well I'm UNSTRESSED now.

I decided to apply for Trades Recognition through the NSW's system, which is basically the same as the TRA. It took three weeks and only $150 and now i have a certificate to pursue my electrical licence.
All I have to do now is sit the wiring reg course and then I can apply for my licence in NSW, then just cross it over to QLD.

I would recommend this route to anyone was having trouble getting there electrical trade recognised. Technically you are suppose to be a resident of NSW but I guess because I live 10 minutes from the border they made an exception.

My advise about the TRA is if u can't prove you have 7 years experience then don't bother applying, they are unhelpful and i found that every time I spoke to someone I got a different answer.

Well i can finally stop being a wingeing pom.

Thanx Folks
hi mate,
thats good info. I am struggeling with TRA, its just catastrophic :curse:

I look at the page of office of fair trading NSW and see more preconditions for a license. That looked a bit shocking for me.
Is your way really for all of us electricians?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tr...lectrical.html
pathway one :

*Overseas and Engineer applicants will need to undergo recognition of their prior learning and experience and obtain the Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806 or UEE30807 or UTE31199) from a Registered Training Organisation as well as obtaining a Certificate of Proficiency as an Electrician or an Electrical Mechanic from the Vocational Training Tribunal (VTT).
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:00 am
Account Closed

chris_at_forum is an unknown quantity at this point

I called them, in NSW VTT can also assess the skills, but you have to have 1 year australian work experience. Do you have that?

AUS work experiences, as far as I understood, is not a preconditions that has to be met for an ARTC, because here TRA uses a trade test.
Am I right here?

They let me do the trade test and now they are asking for work experiences. Has there been a change recently?

Chris

Last edited by chris_at_forum; Feb 12th 2010 at 6:16 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:41 am
Just Joined

wyldeone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris_at_forum
I called them, in NSW VTT can also assess the skills, but you have to have 1 year australian work experience. Do you have that?

AUS work experiences, as far as I understood, is not a preconditions that has to be met for an ARTC, because here TRA uses a trade test.
Am I right here?

They let me do the trade test and now they are asking for work experiences. Has there been a change recently?

Chris
Hi Chris

When I spoke to Fair Trading 7 months ago and the info they emailed me was that all i had to do was 1. Get a Trade Cert from VVT. 2. Complete the Wiring Reg Course and get 12 months experience.

I've just check your link and bang everything is different. I spoke to Fair Trading today and they have comfirmed that they changed the rules 6 months ago DAM BAD LUCK

Yes you now have to obtain one of the certificates they list instead of just doing the Wiring Reg Course so this throws a spanner in the works.

I have email Peer Veet as they run one of the courses NSW FT list on there web site as well as RPLing existing qualification, so will let you know there response.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:01 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris

When I spoke to Fair Trading 7 months ago and the info they emailed me was that all i had to do was 1. Get a Trade Cert from VVT. 2. Complete the Wiring Reg Course and get 12 months experience.

I've just check your link and bang everything is different. I spoke to Fair Trading today and they have comfirmed that they changed the rules 6 months ago DAM BAD LUCK

Yes you now have to obtain one of the certificates they list instead of just doing the Wiring Reg Course so this throws a spanner in the works.

I have email Peer Veet as they run one of the courses NSW FT list on there web site as well as RPLing existing qualification, so will let you know there response.

hi there
have you recently arrived in robina?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

hi there
have you recently arrived in robina?
Been in australia almost 2 years now and lived in Robina for about 13 months

lol i see you an manchester bloke just like me
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:19 am
Just Joined

mikey the pikey is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

i'm an irish electrician working in sydney.... i've recently got my artc and am wondering what the best way of getting my licence is?? i know there are definitely 2 options and i've recently heard a 3rd...
the 1st is TAFE, which i really don't want to have to do... i mean who wants to go to college after a hard days work for 4 hours a night for 6months!!!

2nd is peer veet... from reading previous posts, this seems the best option, but i'd like to know what the timeframe is from start to finish if i got stuck into it... and also is it possible to do the test and get the licence all in the 1 weekend in adelaide or would it mean a few trips?? finally does anyone know how hard it is to change a SA licence for a NSW one, or is it better to work on it until it expires then renew it as an NSW one?

the option i've heard of recently is through electrogroup... aparantly a lot of unlicensed sparkies were caught in sydney last year and the ETU set up an easier way of getting the licence through electrogroup in sydney... has anyone heard of this?

i appreciate any help i can get.... thank you in advance

mikey
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:31 am
Worongary

Been in australia almost 2 years now and lived in Robina for about 13 months

lol i see you an manchester bloke just like me
yep lived in flixton, urmston for 8yrs prior to coming over, before that worsley,

where are you from?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:37 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by mikey the pikey
hi all,

i'm an irish electrician working in sydney.... i've recently got my artc and am wondering what the best way of getting my licence is?? i know there are definitely 2 options and i've recently heard a 3rd...
the 1st is TAFE, which i really don't want to have to do... i mean who wants to go to college after a hard days work for 4 hours a night for 6months!!!

2nd is peer veet... from reading previous posts, this seems the best option, but i'd like to know what the timeframe is from start to finish if i got stuck into it... and also is it possible to do the test and get the licence all in the 1 weekend in adelaide or would it mean a few trips?? finally does anyone know how hard it is to change a SA licence for a NSW one, or is it better to work on it until it expires then renew it as an NSW one?

the option i've heard of recently is through electrogroup... aparantly a lot of unlicensed sparkies were caught in sydney last year and the ETU set up an easier way of getting the licence through electrogroup in sydney... has anyone heard of this?

i appreciate any help i can get.... thank you in advance

mikey
usually the peer route is done via correspondance so you only fly down for a couple or three days to revise and do the exam, most people seem to sort the licence out at the same time

regards steve
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:06 am
Just Joined

thanks steve.... i know you're from queensland, but do you know how hard it is to swap a SA licence for a NSW one?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:26 am
Just Joined

yep lived in flixton, urmston for 8yrs prior to coming over, before that worsley,

where are you from?
HI Steve

Originally grow up around Tyldesley/Atherton, then i live in Hindley near Wigan before i met my wife and moved to Cheadle in Staffordshire. Then we escaped to Australia YA.

Folks i'm in the process of looking into a different route to getting a licence in QLD, might mean become an Apprentice for a short time. I'll post more info when i get it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:31 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by mikey the pikey
thanks steve.... i know you're from queensland, but do you know how hard it is to swap a SA licence for a NSW one?
very easy
my mate ian had a SA licence ( went to peer ) and chopped it in for the nsw version
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:55 am
Just Joined

thanks mate you're a legend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.