Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

wyldeone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum and need some help/info in getting my Electrical License.

Cut a long story short -

I'm a fully qualified Gas Fitter & Electrician (C&G 2360 Parts 2 & 3). Worked mainly in the Industrial/Commercial for 10 - 11 years and spent 1 year doing domestic installs (consumer units etc). Me & my family have lived on the Gold Coast for the last 13 months (thats how long we been in Oz). I came over on my Gas Fitters ticket and have attempted to get my ARTC from TRA for my electrical license, but after 3 x Applications & $1000 i've got know where. Basically they refuse to give me an ARTC on the grounds that i dont meet there 7 years experience (they say i only got 5 years experience).

I'm looking into other ways i can get my license and this is were some help would save me pulling my hair out

As far as i can see i have 2 options.

1. NSW have there own Vocational Training Recognition (same as TRA), but they only require 4 years experience. This means i have to up root my family and more to NSW which i would like to avoid if all possible.

Has anyone gone down this route, if so any input would be greatly appreciated?

2. I've been told a few time to get my license through SA as this the easiest route. I've surfed the internet for all the info i can find and this is what i came up with.

Step 1. Do wiring reg course with Peer Veet by correspondence.
Step 2. Sit exam in Adelaide and get certificate.
Step 3. Goto to Office of Consumer & Business Affairs and apply for license in
person and i should get it in 2 weeks.
Step 4. Transfer license to QLD.

Again has anyone been down this route?
Also if this route is correct do you still need to get your Electrical Skill recognized before applying for a license?

If anyone can assist with my questions, through in any suggestions or simply point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys

PS if anyone need help with TRA, i think i gained some in sight with my 3 failed applications
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

I don't know exactly the answer but I am sure you need to have the ARTC to be able to do the regs course at Peer.

You either have to have an OTSR or the ARTC to be able to get a licence. The OTSR is the thing you get for immigration purposes and then go on to get your licence once you in Oz. The ARTC is if you already have your visa and want to get your overseas qualifications recognised in Oz.

There are many more experienced people on here such as Steve'O and The Pom from Aus who might have more answers for you but I have a feeling the ARTC is your only route short of returning to college...
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

wyldeone;

you dont need the ARTC to do the wiring rules at PEER however you wont get a restricted electrical license without the ARTC sorry mate
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough

Mate do the electrical licience the proper way go to tafe and get the cert3 can be done in 6months to a year, chances are the peer tech thing will get stopped soon. Reasons costs less money to do, refresh your old skills, cert3 is a recognised qualifiaction - peer cert is not.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

ozoz;

there is noway PEER shall stop training for people im in contact continually so you can rest assured all is well there
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough

im just giving the guy the best advice, what qualification is classed higher a crappy multi choice regs exam - i.e peer tech, Or studying at tafe cert 3, either way its still very bad. Cant really comment on when they will close down the peer tech thing as i dont know, and i guess someone who posts on here cant comment unless you work for peMoneyer tech
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ozoz;

i have just phoned PEER in S/A the main man just laughed at the thought of them closing down training for the wiring rules, its not going to happen he told me
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:19 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

You can try talking to the gold coast tafe at Ashmore,
I was told there is an arrangement with NSW there because its the closet Tafe for alot of apprentices on the tweed so they can attend Ashmore or coolangata Tafe rather than the closet NSW.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:15 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wyldeone
Hi Guys I'm new to this forum and need some help/info in getting my Electrical License.

Cut a long story short -

I'm a fully qualified Gas Fitter & Electrician (C&G 2360 Parts 2 & 3). Worked mainly in the Industrial/Commercial for 10 - 11 years and spent 1 year doing domestic installs (consumer units etc). Me & my family have lived on the Gold Coast for the last 13 months (thats how long we been in Oz). I came over on my Gas Fitters ticket and have attempted to get my ARTC from TRA for my electrical license, but after 3 x Applications & $1000 i've got know where. Basically they refuse to give me an ARTC on the grounds that i dont meet there 7 years experience (they say i only got 5 years experience).

I'm looking into other ways i can get my license and this is were some help would save me pulling my hair out

As far as i can see i have 2 options.

1. NSW have there own Vocational Training Recognition (same as TRA), but they only require 4 years experience. This means i have to up root my family and more to NSW which i would like to avoid if all possible.

Has anyone gone down this route, if so any input would be greatly appreciated?

2. I've been told a few time to get my license through SA as this the easiest route. I've surfed the internet for all the info i can find and this is what i came up with.

Step 1. Do wiring reg course with Peer Veet by correspondence.
Step 2. Sit exam in Adelaide and get certificate.
Step 3. Goto to Office of Consumer & Business Affairs and apply for license in
person and i should get it in 2 weeks.
Step 4. Transfer license to QLD.

Again has anyone been down this route?
Also if this route is correct do you still need to get your Electrical Skill recognized before applying for a license?

If anyone can assist with my questions, through in any suggestions or simply point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys

PS if anyone need help with TRA, i think i gained some in sight with my 3 failed applications
yep its a pain in the arse mate
try contacting chris at qet http://www.qet.edu.au/
he certanly knows the ins and outs of getting a licence in qld as he`s
ex qld electrical safety office and ex tafe lecturer
i`m ot saying its possible without the artc but if it is he`ll know

regards steve
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozoz
im just giving the guy the best advice, what qualification is classed higher a crappy multi choice regs exam - i.e peer tech, Or studying at tafe cert 3, either way its still very bad. Cant really comment on when they will close down the peer tech thing as i dont know, and i guess someone who posts on here cant comment unless you work for peMoneyer tech
sorry mate you obviously dont know what your talking about
the "crappy mulkti choice exam" is mandatory in SA in order to get a licence
as is the "crappy multichoice" QLD39093 exam which is part of the licencing process in qld
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys

Well I'm UNSTRESSED now.

I decided to apply for Trades Recognition through the NSW's system, which is basically the same as the TRA. It took three weeks and only $150 and now i have a certificate to pursue my electrical licence.

All I have to do now is sit the wiring reg course and then I can apply for my licence in NSW, then just cross it over to QLD.

I would recommend this route to anyone was having trouble getting there electrical trade recognised. Technically you are suppose to be a resident of NSW but I guess because I live 10 minutes from the border they made an exception.

My advise about the TRA is if u can't prove you have 7 years experience then don't bother applying, they are unhelpful and i found that every time I spoke to someone I got a different answer.

Well i can finally stop being a wingeing pom.

Thanx Folks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:33 am
Just Joined

I'm in the process of signing up with PEER for the wiring reg course.

I'm also in the process of seeing if SA will accept my NSW Trade Cert.

Has anyone got a SA electrical licence and if so how difficult was it?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Craigieburnsparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one. When you applied for your NSW CERT did you have to tell them you applied to TRA or not? I have applied to the TRA and have to do a trades test. If I fail that is it possible to apply for the NSW CERT if I can come up with a NSW address? Be interested to see if SA will accept your NSW CERT. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Craigieburnsparky; Feb 7th 2010 at 10:14 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Craigieburnsparky
Nice one. When you applied for your NSW CERT did you have to tell them you applied to TRA or not? I have applied to the TRA and have to do a trades test. If I fail that is it possible to apply for the NSW CERT if I can come up with a NSW address? Be interested to see if SA will accept your NSW CERT. Good luck with that.
Good luck with TRA mate you'll need it.

Are you doing a Trade test @ a TAFE or Trade Interview over the phone?

As with the NSW Trade Cert, on the application form it does ask if you have attempted to have your skills assessed elsewhere, i was honest and told them yes and with the TRA and still they gave me the Trade Cert

Hope this is of help
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Craigieburnsparky is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to the Victec Skills Centre in Carlton Melbourne to do a Trade Test, thanks mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.