Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical Gap Training PLEASE HELP

Electrical Gap Training PLEASE HELP

Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Sph14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Gap Training PLEASE HELP

Hi All, I am a sparky from the UK who just recently moved to Australia to sample the lifestyle and to hopefuly make a better future for my family (Mrs + 2 kids). We applied because as an Electrician of 20 years (which I have had to prove beyond any reasonable doubt) my said trade was on the 'wanted' SOL list. I arrive in Australia OTSR in hand and apply to the ESO in Brisbane to gain a temporary licence to enable me to get a job.......to be told I must have a job first to be granted a temporary Electrical licence.....which proved to be a little challenging asking for a job here as a TA with my UK certificates ??? catch 22 or just utter B@ll@cks ? I have since enrolled at the local TAFE at a (further) cost to myself of $2700 ????? I must complete Gap Training of 16 electives to enable me to take a QLD specific Regs exam to gain my Full electrical licence. I am really struggling to make sense of some of the electives so please if you are a sparky from the UK who has already jumped through these extra hoops these Aussies keep putting in front of us (and charging us for the privilege) can you give me some advise or shed some light on what it is exactly they want from me. I would be eternally grateful and in your debt. We want to make this move a success but its damn hard having the goal posts moved all the time !!! the Electives they have asked me to complete are :-
UEENEE E001B
E002B
E005B
E007B
E008B
E004B
E003B
G001B
G003B
G002B
G007B
G009B
G004B
C020B
G005B
G008B
Again thanks very much to anyonr who can help with this.
Sph......a very disillusioned spark.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Electrical Gap Training PLEASE HELP

Ok, can anybody help me specifically with the following please :-
UEENEEE004B Solve problems in multiple path DC circuits ?
UEENEEG001B Solve problems in Electromagnetic circuits ?
UEENEEC020B Participate in elect work & comp development activities ??
I have tried to make an appointment to see a tutor at the local Tafe, I know Aussies are laid back but I have left answer messages and emailed also at the start of the week and no reply as yet ? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all for your time.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sph14
I have tried to make an appointment to see a tutor at the local Tafe, I know Aussies are laid back but I have left answer messages and emailed also at the start of the week and no reply as yet ? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
You've paid 2700 for what? Have you got to attend classes or complete a work book? or just complete a write up to cover the areas with a test at the end?

Electromagnetic circuits - motors?

DC circuits - resistors in parallel?
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi old sparkles, thanks for your reply. I have to complete :-

UEE30811 Certificate III Electrotechnology
MINIMUM AUSTRALIAN CONTEXT TRAINING GAP
On the job competency development programme.

Its $2700, for the books (regs), to do it all at home, then payment for the final exam. I figured the electromagnetic would be about motors but to be honest with you I haven't had anything to do with motors since I went to college, I have worked for ABB, Haden Young, Balfour Beatty, Crown House, Boultings, T.Clarkes, working on hospitals, schools, shopping centres, prisons and later in my career power stations. The company I work for don't really ever touch motors (to my knowledge). I realise that I could buy books or use the internet to gain the knowledge required for this elective but will they let me do that ? Without quitting my job and going to work for an AC installer or something how do I cross this hurdle ?? This is whats stressing me out. I have worked on fire alarms and emergency lighting systems in the past to cover the - solve problems in multiple path DC circuits elective - but im not touching that here either as yet !!
Sorry to whinge but again any advise from anyone would be greatly apprteciated.
I cant justify quitting my job (which is guaranteed for 2 years) which is supporting my family to try and get employment elsewhere (which is almost futile) to justify 2 or 3 electives that we could home study to gain knowledge about.
Thanks for reading my bleat !
Sph.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi old sparkles, thanks for your reply. I have to complete :-

UEE30811 Certificate III Electrotechnology
MINIMUM AUSTRALIAN CONTEXT TRAINING GAP
On the job competency development programme.

Its $2700, for the books (regs), to do it all at home, then payment for the final exam. I figured the electromagnetic would be about motors but to be honest with you I haven't had anything to do with motors since I went to college, I have worked for ABB, Haden Young, Balfour Beatty, Crown House, Boultings, T.Clarkes, working on hospitals, schools, shopping centres, prisons and later in my career power stations. The company I work for don't really ever touch motors (to my knowledge). I realise that I could buy books or use the internet to gain the knowledge required for this elective but will they let me do that ? Without quitting my job and going to work for an AC installer or something how do I cross this hurdle ?? This is whats stressing me out. I have worked on fire alarms and emergency lighting systems in the past to cover the - solve problems in multiple path DC circuits elective - but im not touching that here either as yet !!
Sorry to whinge but again any advise from anyone would be greatly apprteciated.
I cant justify quitting my job (which is guaranteed for 2 years) which is supporting my family to try and get employment elsewhere (which is almost futile) to justify 2 or 3 electives that we could home study to gain knowledge about.
Thanks for reading my bleat !
Sph.
We covered some stuff on a 2 week course here, and theoretical covers it if you're not doing practical I think. There are a couple of books the apprentices here use which I got second (or third) hand off gumtree - electrotechnology theory and practice - might be worth looking for.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that old sparkles... Your a good fella ;-)
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 8:40 am

Thanks for that old sparkles... Your a good fella ;-)
or not
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Of course big sparkles, If only for your courteous responses to my posts ! � ����. Seriously I think I just need to become a reclusive bookworm for a while to blow the dust out of my ears and re-learn the theoretical side of sparking again to overcome these hurdles they keep putting in front of me...... But I will get there...... Eventually.
Onward and upward.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:36 am

Of course big sparkles, If only for your courteous responses to my posts ! ������. Seriously I think I just need to become a reclusive bookworm for a while to blow the dust out of my ears and re-learn the theoretical side of sparking again to overcome these hurdles they keep putting in front of me...... But I will get there...... Eventually.
Onward and upward.
I'll let you know when I get there too - still a WIP here as well
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:55 am
Just Joined

mickhez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, I am a sparky from the UK who just recently moved to Australia to sample the lifestyle and to hopefuly make a better future for my family (Mrs + 2 kids). We applied because as an Electrician of 20 years (which I have had to prove beyond any reasonable doubt) my said trade was on the 'wanted' SOL list. I arrive in Australia OTSR in hand and apply to the ESO in Brisbane to gain a temporary licence to enable me to get a job.......to be told I must have a job first to be granted a temporary Electrical licence.....which proved to be a little challenging asking for a job here as a TA with my UK certificates ??? catch 22 or just utter B@ll@cks ? I have since enrolled at the local TAFE at a (further) cost to myself of $2700 ????? I must complete Gap Training of 16 electives to enable me to take a QLD specific Regs exam to gain my Full electrical licence. I am really struggling to make sense of some of the electives so please if you are a sparky from the UK who has already jumped through these extra hoops these Aussies keep putting in front of us (and charging us for the privilege) can you give me some advise or shed some light on what it is exactly they want from me. I would be eternally grateful and in your debt. We want to make this move a success but its damn hard having the goal posts moved all the time !!! the Electives they have asked me to complete are :-
UEENEE E001B
E002B
E005B
E007B
E008B
E004B
E003B
G001B
G003B
G002B
G007B
G009B
G004B
C020B
G005B
G008B
Again thanks very much to anyonr who can help with this.
Sph......a very disillusioned spark.
Hi. I'm too in brisbane and have my vet assess OSTR. its a load of rubbish how you have to take a step back and start from the beginning. I've been in brisbane for a few months now and not even a sniff of a job. Who wants to employ somebody on a restricted work permit??

How did you enrol into TAFE to complete the Gap training without an employer. This seems to be my issue as unless employed they can't enrol you to complete the eprofiling they request.

I have applied for as many restricted electrical jobs and trade assistant as possible. Daily and nationwide. Fortunately i am working but in Hospitality! (after being a sparky for just over 10 years) but can't afford to be picky as i need to save to sign up to courses to become a recognised Electrician in Australia.

How has everyone else's experience been? i love it here but I'm starting to loose a little faith with the electrical side of things. Sillily didn't realise how tough obtaining a license would be... any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mickhez1
Hi. I'm too in brisbane and have my vet assess OSTR. its a load of rubbish how you have to take a step back and start from the beginning. I've been in brisbane for a few months now and not even a sniff of a job. Who wants to employ somebody on a restricted work permit??

How did you enrol into TAFE to complete the Gap training without an employer. This seems to be my issue as unless employed they can't enrol you to complete the eprofiling they request.

I have applied for as many restricted electrical jobs and trade assistant as possible. Daily and nationwide. Fortunately i am working but in Hospitality! (after being a sparky for just over 10 years) but can't afford to be picky as i need to save to sign up to courses to become a recognised Electrician in Australia.

How has everyone else's experience been? i love it here but I'm starting to loose a little faith with the electrical side of things. Sillily didn't realise how tough obtaining a license would be... any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys.
You could try applying for sparky jobs as well. Not sure what type of work you've done previously but make friends with some elec wholesalers who might know who needs an extra pair of hands, or do a drive around and see what work is going on in our area. If house bashing isn't your thing, you'll have to keep slogging away.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

weegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really nice

have you looked at going over to nz for 2 weeks to get nz licence then transferring to qld by mutual recognition
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:15 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickhez1

Thanks guys.
id suggest it woiuld be better to speak to chris at queensland electrical training than the local tafe the guy runs a private rto registered training organisation and as hes ex tafe ex qld electrical inspector he knows his way around the system

HomePage

good luck

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:35 am
Just Joined

spoony1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sph14,

How did you get on with your gap training works.

I am currently going through the same thing and having difficulties with some of the logbook descriptions.

It would be appreciated if you could give me an update.

Thanks,

Rob