Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road
Default DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

After reading so much info on here I thought finally there is a chance with gaining vetassess way absolutely NOT.

I have went to energy safe a month ago supplied vet but also told them I was also waiting on ARTC which they replied its all the same to get A license, jes why didnt I wait for ARTC. I did need the restricted license to work so I went ahead. Supporting a family unlicensed or restricted here isnt easy especially with two kids.

Basically they have sent out to me I have to be supervised for up to 12 months possible could be earlier they really dont know could be 4 months but has to be completed in 12 months, go to a campus balga for a course which looks like 155 hrs with online help eeoz training standards then after that log book onsite plus after being approved with all that the two week ETL course.

WHAT A JOKE WE ARE NOT ELECTRICIANS HERE BUT APPRENTICES AGAIN.

Go the ARTC WAY as the poly tech campus told me that is the way normally to go this way is new to them too.
They are taking places at mo and being filled up so I think theres alot caught this way.

Theres courses in sept oct earliest.

Goodluck
Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all
Default Re: DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

Is it really that bad using the OSTR? Why do they do it? Wish you all the luck elect42, I'm coming over 3rd September to what looks like a nightmare. The path to A grade is looking as wet as the english weather!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I don't see any problem, just go with ARTC and once you get ARTC certificate it's matter of a few weeks to get A grade license.

btw I went through ARTC, in the same time I was working for $20/hour as a trade assistant.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

I am arriving in just under 4 weeks and have went the vetassess route as well. I have applied for my provisional license from the Uk so hopefully should have this before i arrive. 12 months gap training sounds harsh. I have seen people posting recently to say that they didnt have to do it?? can i ask how much money you get for being an assistant? And are there many companies that will employ you for gap training. Sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare tbh. Going ARTC now is a waste of time for me now as the time it will take is not worth it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
I am arriving in just under 4 weeks and have went the vetassess route as well. I have applied for my provisional license from the Uk so hopefully should have this before i arrive. 12 months gap training sounds harsh. I have seen people posting recently to say that they didnt have to do it?? can i ask how much money you get for being an assistant? And are there many companies that will employ you for gap training. Sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare tbh. Going ARTC now is a waste of time for me now as the time it will take is not worth it.
Mate most companies will not touch u as a TA in Perth they mainly want Alicensed sparks only. I have alot of mates here and they are finding it hard to get me in. It really is pot luck.
Vetessass is a pain ARTC is def the way to go for time scale. Energy safe has made vet people go this way as with the one day in uk is not really recognised here. Vet is worldwide ARTC is Australian recognised.
The gapstone training is a joke with a silly log book, how that is going to be completed I'm not sure as finding work as a TA is not easy. There isn't loads of work like its portrayed like back in the UK in Perth. Work is there but not booming, the mines are booming and skill shortage. But that's another story right and get up there very hard.
Australia is alot in who u know not what.

Goodluck

There's guys got artc and doing exam getting license within 3 months I know of a few vet I am not sure how long that will take.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: DO NOT USE VETASSESS FOR A LICENSE!!!

The techs are not sure how vet route is going to go either it's new system to them too.
They told me that energy safe make the rules and keep changing them. I'm going to speak with them again tomorrow try find out more info. I'll let you's know.
They are not sure what costs are involved yet either first course starts sept.

Once the A license is got there is jobs popping up most days I've applied for quite a few showing on cv I am a TA restricted no replies.
Only work I've got is through who my mates know. Cost of living here will eat into saving big time without work especially of you have family. Renting is near impossible we were very lucky and got a 4x2 quite a long story but alot off emigrants can't get a rental as its a cattle market for houses. Big demand for rentals.

Do your homework before u arrive don't expect it to be easy I didn't but didn't think it would be this hard, it's more hoop the loop jumping thought it was all near over lol

I think energy safe should have same route for all as I can't see why it should be different routes in getting license.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Just been in touch with a guy ("in the know lol") and he's told me that as from last week you have to do 155 hours theory at college on 1 day a week, and also do a hands-on log book. This is because the unions throughout the country are saying that WA is being used as a back door into Australia, everywhere else you do the gap training(is this true?).
You can see their point, they're just trying to protect the trade and not get diluties etc coming in. It just means the first 12 months will be tough, especially when you have a family to look after like myself and alot of other guys. Its defo gonna be a long slog just to get the A grade, I just hope its worth it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:56 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggaf
Just been in touch with a guy ("in the know lol") and he's told me that as from last week you have to do 155 hours theory at college on 1 day a week, and also do a hands-on log book. This is because the unions throughout the country are saying that WA is being used as a back door into Australia, everywhere else you do the gap training(is this true?).
You can see their point, they're just trying to protect the trade and not get diluties etc coming in. It just means the first 12 months will be tough, especially when you have a family to look after like myself and alot of other guys. Its defo gonna be a long slog just to get the A grade, I just hope its worth it.
Nope you can still go to SA with you artc fitter or mechanic and do correspondence course in advance, one week course and get electrical workers licence to carry out ANY electrical work IF you pass it.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I am an Electrician who is still in the UK with plans to head to OZ but reading this thread has confirmed my fears, i.e. - expensive and hard process to get a license which is then restricted for 12 months until you fill in a log book (which is a joke in my eyes)

Its a real catch 22 - you can only gain an unrestricted "A" license by filling in the log book at work but no one wants to employ anyone on a restricted license (they all want/need unrestricted - understandable) so how can you ever become unrestricted?

I think its good that they regulate as it stops every butcher from having a bash (they should so something like this in the UK) but it should be a bit better thought out than this

I definitely wouldn't be happy going to Australia with a restricted license and either getting low paid work as a Trades Assistant (best case scenario) or no work at all
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:43 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I am an Electrician who is still in the UK with plans to head to OZ but reading this thread has confirmed my fears, i.e. - expensive and hard process to get a license which is then restricted for 12 months until you fill in a log book (which is a joke in my eyes)

Its a real catch 22 - you can only gain an unrestricted "A" license by filling in the log book at work but no one wants to employ anyone on a restricted license (they all want/need unrestricted - understandable) so how can you ever become unrestricted?

I think its good that they regulate as it stops every butcher from having a bash (they should so something like this in the UK) but it should be a bit better thought out than this

I definitely wouldn't be happy going to Australia with a restricted license and either getting low paid work as a Trades Assistant (best case scenario) or no work at all

NSW you can work without a licence. You can then do the distance learning via PEER and when u have your SA licenec you can get a NSW one through the mutual recognition.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
NSW you can work without a licence. You can then do the distance learning via PEER and when u have your SA licenec you can get a NSW one through the mutual recognition.
Thats interesting, how long does that take? Is it expensive?

This truly is a minefield! Did the Aussies all sit down one day and say "Right lads - how can we make this system more complicated, it aint nearly confusing enough?'

Last edited by energysolutions; Jul 14th 2012 at 11:39 am.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:57 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thats interesting, how long does that take? Is it expensive?
Depends. There was(when i did it) 141 pages of A4 size paper with average 4-5 questions to do per page. Mostly finding the regs but also calculations etc. Months if like me you were already working and just didn't have the time or were too tired. Once completed you call them up in Adelaide and arrange to go down for 4 or 5 days and sit the open book test. I think its about $1200. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points. Its been a few years since i did it. Once you pass. You can then go and apply for a licence for SA. Another few hundred bucks. Receive in the post about 6 weeks later( if i remember) You then can apply for your NSW one for $188.

Last edited by Jockstar; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Depends. There was(when i did it) 141 pages of A4 size paper with average 4-5 questions to do per page. Mostly finding the regs but also calculations etc. Months if like me you were already working and just didn't have the time or were too tired. Once completed you call them up in Adelaide and arrange to go down for 4 or 5 days and sit the open book test. I think its about $1200. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points. Its been a few years since i did it. Once you pass. You can then go and apply for a licence for SA. Another few hundred bucks. Receive in the post about 6 weeks later( if i remember) You then can apply for your NSW one for $188.
Good info Jockstar - cheers!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

CtvShoko is an unknown quantity at this point

Use Vetassess you are in a messy my advice do vetassess get your visa as soon as that part is sorted forget you ever did vetassess ever in your life otherwise u in deep Sh***,i came in on vetassess 457 then made a gravely mistake put vetassess in my ARTC application.they refused to assess it at all they referred me to the CTC which is loads of crap that doesn't exist so i had to do gap training.Enrolled at Kangan Institute in Victoria excellent institute gud pple there talk to Ken Stephenson he is always willing to assit,
Done the training and did the LEA and also enrolled on eprofilling am done now but guess what Vetassess is waiting again to collect money to issue you with your Cert III which is your equivalence to ARTC then its EnergySafe after that
Chinese ladies at vetassess are not that helpful either you hardly understand each other and they dont understand the process either been laid off by my original sponsor now its stressing Vetassess never use it if you have an option
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggaf
Is it really that bad using the OSTR? Why do they do it? Wish you all the luck elect42, I'm coming over 3rd September to what looks like a nightmare. The path to A grade is looking as wet as the english weather!
Mate yes using OSTR means you will be out of pocket big $1700 to do this course, two weeks in polytechnic, then your issued a log book and module book from polytechnic, once onsite training is done with you filling in your book (I DONT KNOW HOW THIS IS GOING TO BE DONE NO ONE EMPLOYEES RESTRICTED/PROVISIONAL) that’s near fact there is a FEW companies that you might get into but until those guys either get the boot leave get A license you haven’t a chance.
After log and module books are completed you head back into poly tech and do a week’s revision course before setting your gap stone exams the same as the 4th year apprentices do all has to be completed within the year hopefully a lot sooner people will say lol.
Hope you guys remember all those formulae’s lol.
On completion of exams get A license.
F%&k That !!!

Anyone coming over do yourselves a favour get your ARTC or you’ll never be working without the License. Employers simply don’t really employ non licensed in WA.
I am booked into next course Oct got last place and she told me places booking up fast.
There is talk as the months are getting booked there might be two classes a month.

I am currently looking for another type of job while I wait for course to start plus I am going the ARTC way.

I have been in touch with energy safe which I went down too to express my views on this ridiculous course that only stops electricians from overseas gaining employment in sparking but also drains savings. How can they expect us to survive on no income not be enabling to do electrician work, they do think we are getting employed, I have told them I had to tell a white lie on CV that I had electrical license to get a interview as when I mentioned restricted TA or Provisional never got a interview. Once in interview I told them I was waiting for license. Interview then ended and told when I get it come back but CV was impressive: eek: Why !!!!

Anyway guys you coming here you better have a lot of saving here isn’t cheap when not working a family of four costing us approx $3200 a month to live that’s not doing much but only living.
To live here you really need to be working finding work out of your profession that paids well as sparking well.....
Goodluck.

Apart from all that weather great its winter still warm, lots to do!! Kids love it that’s the main thing. Wife settling when she gets into work even better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.