Critique my CV/Resume

Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Critique my CV/Resume

Further to some replies in another thread about not getting any feedback after applying for jobs I thought I might as well upload a copy of my CV and see what you guys think.
From what little feedback I do get, usually after making a follow up phone call, they seem to think it's great but I get the impression that they're just trying to palm me off.
Anyway, critique my CV and I'll critique yours.
Kind Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Derrens CV 2012.doc (50.5 KB, 511 views)
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:27 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Critique my CV/Resume

I was out here in 1998 and was living in Melbourne. My mate(Aussie) and I were both looking for work. We both went for jobs and kept getting nothing. Never mind the licence things. But one place we went to mentioned that i had had many jobs on my CV. And that it looked like i had no stable job. But as many of us know. Working 1 month here , 6 months there etc etc Is quite common if you work through agencies as i did in London.

Last edited by Jockstar; Nov 29th 2012 at 11:30 am.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I was out here in 1998 and was living in Melbourne. My mate(Aussie) and I were both looking for work. We both went for jobs and kept getting nothing. Never mind the licence things. But one place we went to mentioned that i had had many jobs on my CV. And that it looked like i had no stable job. But as many of us know. Working 1 month here , 6 months there etc etc Is quite common if you work through agencies as i did in London.
Yeah. I got that as well. In my my first interview here, which I got the job by the way, they alluded to the fact that I had jumped around a bit and I had to explain that I was a contract worker,
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if the number of companies is the problem. I have only 3 on mines and i am 35 and i have the same problem as you. Two are companies I owned so maybe my experience scares them off lol!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:18 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

had my done by a company here, cut it from 5 to 2 pages, was told if
you ain't got em in 2 pages forget it.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulf
had my done by a company here, cut it from 5 to 2 pages, was told if
you ain't got em in 2 pages forget it.
I've tried to keep it concise and the only way I could possibly shorten it is to delete most of my employment history, which is probably where the weakness in my CV lies.
A prospective employer could view it in two ways, one, that I have unstable work history or two, I have been exposed to different environments and that I am more adaptable and have a broader skill set than someone who has worked for the same company for nearly 25 years.
I guess most employers believe the former.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
I've tried to keep it concise and the only way I could possibly shorten it is to delete most of my employment history, which is probably where the weakness in my CV lies.
A prospective employer could view it in two ways, one, that I have unstable work history or two, I have been exposed to different environments and that I am more adaptable and have a broader skill set than someone who has worked for the same company for nearly 25 years.
I guess most employers believe the former.
I had a quick look and thought it looked like a lot of jobs - if they were contract through an agency could you list the agency as employer and then the contracts in the description to allow you to give a bit of info on the type of work you have done?

I attached a copy of my cv - any thoughts?
Attached Files
Wendy_B_Resume BE[1].doc (33.5 KB, 667 views)
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Wendy,
Yeah, I like your CV. Mine used to formatted in a similar way to yours but of course the problem I had was that my CV was about 8 pages long!!
Thanks for all the constructive feedback, so far, on this thread.
I think I will need to condense my employment history somewhat and I think Wendy's idea was a good one.
The period of employment form 2003- 2012 on my CV, I'll state that
I was self employed, which essentially I was on the CIS scheme and state that I worked for various contractors and agencies on a contract by contract basis.
I think it would at least give a good first impression. I think you guys were right, it doesn't look good to have long list of employers even though we know that this day in age it's fairly common for tradies to work contract by contract.
Thanks again
Kind Regards Derren
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Hi Derren,

Got a few pointers mate:

I think, as other people have pointed out, it is a bit long.

Remove the title 'Resume', it's obvious what it is

The 'Skills and Experience' section, just try and make it briefer. Things like:

 Selecting appropriate materials for the relevant task
 Select and utilise various types of tools, power tools, plant and equipment

are pretty obvious and can be left out.

For References, just say 'Available on request'

The notes at the end. You could put your travels around Australia in your employment history. Also, things like 'I'm hard working, punctual etc', again, I think it's a pretty obvious thing to say and can be left out. No one's going to put, 'lazy, unmotivated, massive drink problem, rarely show up (due to the drink problem mentioned) etc'. People like that always write 'Hard working, punctual...' in their cv or resume. I'm sure you are hard working and punctual, though

Good luck with your job search
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou_Diamond_Phillips
Hi Derren,

Got a few pointers mate:

I think, as other people have pointed out, it is a bit long.

Remove the title 'Resume', it's obvious what it is

The 'Skills and Experience' section, just try and make it briefer. Things like:

 Selecting appropriate materials for the relevant task
 Select and utilise various types of tools, power tools, plant and equipment

are pretty obvious and can be left out.

For References, just say 'Available on request'

The notes at the end. You could put your travels around Australia in your employment history. Also, things like 'I'm hard working, punctual etc', again, I think it's a pretty obvious thing to say and can be left out. No one's going to put, 'lazy, unmotivated, massive drink problem, rarely show up (due to the drink problem mentioned) etc'. People like that always write 'Hard working, punctual...' in their cv or resume. I'm sure you are hard working and punctual, though

Good luck with your job search
Cheers mate,
Thanks for the feedback. I've used some of your suggestions. I have left the 2 Australian references on there as they have been contacted.
Also, I have kept the Australian travels in the notes section as I really want the employment history to be as short as possible.
I have managed to condense my CV to about 2 1/2 pages.
Again thanks for the feedback
Regards Derren
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, after all the helpful feedback I've managed to shorten my CV from nearly 4 pages to 2 1/2. I don't think it could be condensed any further, my employment history is what it is and the only other way to shorten it would be to cull my UK qualifications which I'm inclined to keep on there.
I have to say that with all the non responses to job applications, my CV in its former format did generate some interest and did help get the work I'm currently in.
Anyway, I've attached a copy of my new, improved CV and would be interested on your thoughts.
Kind Regards Derren
Attached Files
Derrens CV 2012.doc (47.5 KB, 215 views)
Old Dec 8th 2012, 10:43 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
OK, after all the helpful feedback I've managed to shorten my CV from nearly 4 pages to 2 1/2. I don't think it could be condensed any further, my employment history is what it is and the only other way to shorten it would be to cull my UK qualifications which I'm inclined to keep on there.
I have to say that with all the non responses to job applications, my CV in its former format did generate some interest and did help get the work I'm currently in.
Anyway, I've attached a copy of my new, improved CV and would be interested on your thoughts.
Kind Regards Derren
Hi Derren - It looks better because it doesn't look like you are always changing jobs - but I would probably move the experience to the end and just bullet point key skills at the beginning to make it more catching. Do you mind if I show it to a collegue who's used to screening CV's before interviews?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Englishphysio2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with old sparkles
Old Dec 9th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Derren - It looks better because it doesn't look like you are always changing jobs - but I would probably move the experience to the end and just bullet point key skills at the beginning to make it more catching. Do you mind if I show it to a collegue who's used to screening CV's before interviews?
Hi Wendy,
Thanks. Yeah, don't mind if you do. That would be great.
Kind Regards Derren