Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Electricians

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:31 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I have run my own successful electrical company for over ten years now and am looking to take the plunge!

I have done a bit of research and learnt that before I move I should get my OSTR in place, obtain my white card and apply for my provisional electrical licence while I'm in the uk so it saves time rather than doing it in Australia, hence speeding up the process while I'm there. Please correct me if I'm wrong but can I apply for a provisional licence while I'm in the uk?

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia, is that true also or can you do the theory part to it in UK? And just do the logbook part in Aus??

Our plan is once we arrive in Australia we will be traveling up the coast from Sydney in a camper van to the Sunshine Coast (where we would ideally like to settle) on a holiday and in the hope that I am able to find work there.. I will be looking for somewhere to rent for the first 12 months before actually buying our property so alot rests on the fact of finding work in that first month..

Can anyone advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated from anyone who's been through this similar process.

Many thanks

Jason
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:22 pm   #2
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,329
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I have run my own successful electrical company for over ten years now and am looking to take the plunge!

I have done a bit of research and learnt that before I move I should get my OSTR in place, obtain my white card and apply for my provisional electrical licence while I'm in the uk so it saves time rather than doing it in Australia, hence speeding up the process while I'm there. Please correct me if I'm wrong but can I apply for a provisional licence while I'm in the uk?

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia, is that true also or can you do the theory part to it in UK? And just do the logbook part in Aus??

Our plan is once we arrive in Australia we will be traveling up the coast from Sydney in a camper van to the Sunshine Coast (where we would ideally like to settle) on a holiday and in the hope that I am able to find work there.. I will be looking for somewhere to rent for the first 12 months before actually buying our property so alot rests on the fact of finding work in that first month..

Can anyone advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated from anyone who's been through this similar process.

Many thanks

Jason
Hey Jason and welcome to BE

If you are headed for QLD, I'm not sure that you can get the restricted license before you arrive. I also don't think it is possible to complete gap training in the UK although there is a place in London (Down Under Centre) that does offer something (not sure if it would be recognised but may be worth asking).

White card is only needed if working on construction sites, so depending on what type of work you do you may not need it.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:29 am   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Hey Jason and welcome to BE

If you are headed for QLD, I'm not sure that you can get the restricted license before you arrive. I also don't think it is possible to complete gap training in the UK although there is a place in London (Down Under Centre) that does offer something (not sure if it would be recognised but may be worth asking).

White card is only needed if working on construction sites, so depending on what type of work you do you may not need it.
Thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated! I'll check that out in London.. but I'll make sure it's recognised as it would be a waste of money otherwise :-/

Here at home I mainly carry out domestic installation work such as newbuilds/extensions/rewires and also commercial including offices, schools and shops etc.. I thought by getting the white card anyhow would just boost my chance of finding work with an employer..

I've heard that securing a job with an employer before arriving in Aus is very slim? In your opinion do you think it is difficult to find work for someone such as myself who requires retraining for that initial 12 months? Just a bit apprehensive as it's such a big step to take without that security..

Definitely going to give it a shot though. The lifestyle seems to be so much better!

Thanks again

Jason
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:27 pm   #4
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,329
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
Thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated! I'll check that out in London.. but I'll make sure it's recognised as it would be a waste of money otherwise :-/

Here at home I mainly carry out domestic installation work such as newbuilds/extensions/rewires and also commercial including offices, schools and shops etc.. I thought by getting the white card anyhow would just boost my chance of finding work with an employer..

I've heard that securing a job with an employer before arriving in Aus is very slim? In your opinion do you think it is difficult to find work for someone such as myself who requires retraining for that initial 12 months? Just a bit apprehensive as it's such a big step to take without that security..

Definitely going to give it a shot though. The lifestyle seems to be so much better!

Thanks again

Jason
The amount of time you take to complete gap training depends on the variety of work you can get and which state you are in to some degree. But you are correct that finding work before you move will be slim. There is at least one company that advertises sponsored positions though so try a google search for sponsored electrician, or something similar.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:05 am   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
The amount of time you take to complete gap training depends on the variety of work you can get and which state you are in to some degree. But you are correct that finding work before you move will be slim. There is at least one company that advertises sponsored positions though so try a google search for sponsored electrician, or something similar.
Ok thanks Old Sparkles much appreciated 👍
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:12 am   #6
Freedom!
 
Jockstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: At home in Sydney. Ye!!!!
Posts: 1,696
Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
Ok thanks Old Sparkles much appreciated 👍
BTW easier to get work in NSW than Qld./ NSW you can work as an unlicensed sparky.
__________________
Heres to ya. Dam few and there aw deid!
Jockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:45 am   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockstar View Post
BTW easier to get work in NSW than Qld./ NSW you can work as an unlicensed sparky.
That's interesting.. so with my qualifications here in the uk I am able go into work straight away as an unlicensed sparky? Perhaps I'm better off getting my feet under the table in NSW to start off and completing my GAP training there until I get my licence.. once I have my licence is it easily changed over to a QLD licence?

Thank you 👍
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:07 am   #8
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
That's interesting.. so with my qualifications here in the uk I am able go into work straight away as an unlicensed sparky? Perhaps I'm better off getting my feet under the table in NSW to start off and completing my GAP training there until I get my licence.. once I have my licence is it easily changed over to a QLD licence?

Thank you 👍
Obviously I'll need to get my OSTR first to obtain my provisional licence??
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:14 am   #9
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,329
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
That's interesting.. so with my qualifications here in the uk I am able go into work straight away as an unlicensed sparky? Perhaps I'm better off getting my feet under the table in NSW to start off and completing my GAP training there until I get my licence.. once I have my licence is it easily changed over to a QLD licence?

Thank you 👍
You can use an NSW license to obtain a license in another state (or NZ I think) under mutual recognition.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:29 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Jason Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can gap training be done in U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
You can use an NSW license to obtain a license in another state (or NZ I think) under mutual recognition.
That's probably the easiest option for me then.. I'll find work in NSW initially whilst settling in and renting until we decide where we want to permanently settle.. There seems to be a lot more jobs available in NSW when looking on sites such as indeed etc.. Do you know if I can apply for a provisional licence while in the UK? Or do I have to be in
Aus first? Thanks for the help once again
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Electricians


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com