Just Joined

peter123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARTC trade interview.

Thanks for the questions, was helpfully,
i had to do a written theoretical test for the ltc in melbourne,

Some other questions i got:
-Whats the oil for in a oil transformer
- does resistance get higher or lower when temperature rises
- some safety questions (what to do when someone is in contact with live wires etc.)
- calculations on current in transformer
- question about relocating a load
and a few more...

These questions are for the theoretical test for electrical fitters, most of them are multiple choise.

after that i had a short interview and told me that my test was good, and just received a letter from tra to say that my trade certificate still isnt granted, how f****** annoying!!!
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

peter,

May i ask why are you doing the TRA in Melb i would be having that changes mate to Mechanics License i say that with respect if you get the fitters license you may be limited to panel wiring only im not 100% cert but you may be limited, in that you may not be able to do any mains connections at all 1 x phase or 3 x phase or you may not be allowed to do any connections with 230v or 415v.
i would be checking that mate if i was you with the mechanics License you can do the lot once you have your A class license.

i hope its all good in the end for you, but you dont want to be limited in the type of your you perform, once you get the fitters or mechanics license it wont be changed so its very important you get the correct one.

Arthur

ps

if i can be of anymore help just ask
Old May 24th 2008, 1:00 am
Just Joined

The problem is that tra doesnt wanna give me my trade certificate, so there is no way of getting a licence yet

I was going to get my licence in sa and then transfer it to vic, that way i`ll have a full a class licence or am i wrong here?

Peter
Old May 24th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

peter123;

The 1st thing you must do mate is get the right ARTEC (Mechanic) thats the one thats unlimited for work.
Once you have the trade certificate you can then apply to sit the A class license its as simple as that, you wont be allowed by law to sit any exams until you have that trade cert. may i ask why the hell wont they give you a certificate for your trade. go to there office in Melbourne ask them why they wont issue you with a trade cert.

do you have all your qualifications from the UK have you listed all companys you have worked for also what type of work you have performed + list every tool if only used the frigging once, make your application look like a CV the people doing your application are cabbages they have no experience on electrical work or tools so if you don't provide heaps of evidence you will get sod all from them mate sorry to say.

Just think cabbages in an office then you will start to learn they know sod all, so start again do all the listing i know its boring but then you can say you have added every thing in your application.

if you need to have a chat to me mate im more than happy to help out, im also in Melbourne. (Keep the Chin up mate) don't let the bastards get to you.
Old May 25th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter123
The problem is that tra doesnt wanna give me my trade certificate, so there is no way of getting a licence yet

I was going to get my licence in sa and then transfer it to vic, that way i`ll have a full a class licence or am i wrong here?

Peter
Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
peter123;

The 1st thing you must do mate is get the right ARTEC (Mechanic) thats the one thats unlimited for work.
Once you have the trade certificate you can then apply to sit the A class license its as simple as that, you wont be allowed by law to sit any exams until you have that trade cert. may i ask why the hell wont they give you a certificate for your trade. go to there office in Melbourne ask them why they wont issue you with a trade cert.

do you have all your qualifications from the UK have you listed all companys you have worked for also what type of work you have performed + list every tool if only used the frigging once, make your application look like a CV the people doing your application are cabbages they have no experience on electrical work or tools so if you don't provide heaps of evidence you will get sod all from them mate sorry to say.

Just think cabbages in an office then you will start to learn they know sod all, so start again do all the listing i know its boring but then you can say you have added every thing in your application.

if you need to have a chat to me mate im more than happy to help out, im also in Melbourne. (Keep the Chin up mate) don't let the bastards get to you.

Hi Guys,

In SA you can sit the exam without the ARTC cert - but you won't get a licence without it.

As far as I know you can apply for a full licence with either Electrical Fitter or Mechanic classification from the TRA - but please check this out to be 100% sure with either PEER Training in SA or the OCBA in SA.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:29 am
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Guys,

In SA you can sit the exam without the ARTC cert - but you won't get a licence without it.

As far as I know you can apply for a full licence with either Electrical Fitter or Mechanic classification from the TRA - but please check this out to be 100% sure with either PEER Training in SA or the OCBA in SA.
Has anyone else got their full licence in SA with only a Electrical Fitter ARTC pass recently.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krunchynutt
Has anyone else got their full licence in SA with only a Electrical Fitter ARTC pass recently.

Don't know, there is someone who was going to look into it but I haven't heard anything as yet.

The form for licencing in SA says:

Once you have been issued with an
Australian Recognised Trade Certificate,
you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.
If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply
for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a
registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an

unrestricted registration, you will also be
required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules
course and exam.
http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

which implies that you can have a full licence either way.

Last edited by Wendy; May 25th 2008 at 8:46 am.
Old May 25th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Don't know, there is someone who was going to look into it but I haven't heard anything as yet.

The form for licencing in SA says:

[F you have been issued with an [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][F Recognised Trade Certificate[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][F
[F may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.[/I][/FONT]
[F you are recognised as an [/I][/FONT][F [/SIZE][/FONT][F Fitter [/SIZE][/FONT][F [/SIZE][/FONT][F Mechanic[/SIZE][/FONT][F you may apply[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F a [/I][/FONT][F registration [/SIZE][/FONT][F the condition[/SIZE][/FONT][F [/SIZE][/FONT][F electrical work under the supervision of a [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F electrical worker.[/I][/FONT]

[F have this limitation removed or to apply for an [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F registration[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][F you will also be[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F to provide evidence of [/I][/FONT][F of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F and exam[/I][/FONT][F
http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

which implies that you can have a full licence either way.
In WA your full license says either Electrical Mechanic or Electrical fitter. Or if can get a dual license but you need to sit both practical tests and only one regs exam.
Problem is the lad needs to get his ARTC cert first. Like T.P.F.A. says provide every little bit of info down to using a phillips screwdriver.

Best of Luck
Brian
Old May 25th 2008, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brigall
In WA your full license says either Electrical Mechanic or Electrical fitter. Or if can get a dual license but you need to sit both practical tests and only one regs exam.
Yeah, that's why he needs to check everything carefully before doing it. In SA there are only two licences - one is restricted the other is unrestricted. There is no mention of whether you are a mechanic or fitter. What he needs to find out is if he gets a SA licence what he has to provide to energysafe in WA to convert and whether it will be a Mechanic or Fitter there.

Problem is the lad needs to get his ARTC cert first. Like T.P.F.A. says provide every little bit of info down to using a phillips screwdriver.

Best of Luck
Brian
That's right, no point worrying about anything else til he gets that sorted is there!
Old May 26th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy;
Hello Wendy its Arthur here, im almost sure here in victoria the only exams you sit are for the A class license but im sure they only issue the mechanics license i have not heard anyone here doing a fitters Artc,
1st as we know you get the ARTC then do the A class license.

The chap who is unable to get his classification may not have submitted enough information. Its still not to late for him though he can reapply submitting a new application with all info in there.

I would advise him to go to S/A to do the exams i a lot easier than bloody Melbourne.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

peter123;

Did the TRA give you any info why they wont give you a TRA they must inform you of the meeting you had with them or the outcome of any internal tests you performed for them.
May i ask when you was in the UK did you have 7 years experience after your apprenticeship in the electrical trade if so then you qualify for the TRA.

The only thing i can think of is you have not supplied enough evidence in your application.
Re-apply but this time list every company you have worked for, list every tool you have ever used if only the once, can you supply letters from past employers make the information read like a (CV) (Resume).
If thats not possible make a stat dec have it signed by a JP of police officer sergeant or above that way its all legal also make sure you get every document signed & dated.
Its the only way to make sure your application is is 100% correct then submit it again to the relevant department.

Also i would be applying for the Mechanics license this way your OK to work anywhere in Australia. there would be a fee to transfer your License to another state but who gives a rats Arse once you have the license your fine.

Peter[/QUOTE]
Old May 26th 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advice,

I`m not from the UK but from Belgium, and the reason why they dont want to issue it or not yet, is because they say that my relevant work experience is to short.

I went to technical college for 6years and got my certificate as electrical mechanic, after that i have 1.5years of relevant workexperience, but as electrical fitter, i never worked on mains! So i dont think they will accept me as electrical mechanic!
In the letter they send me, they told me that my certificate as electrical mechanic is not accepted, have no idea why not, so they said i need 7years of workexperience.

Also i had to go in to do a written theoretical test and they told me twice that my theoretical knowledge is good and there is no problem there.

When i received my letter, they told me that they expected me to have a better theoretical knowledge and therefore my trade certificate was not issued, although i could re apply if i work on my shortfall areas highlighted in my theoretical test.

So what i will do is go to peer tec and do some of their courses and then re apply!

Peter
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:06 am
Just Joined

1zalee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey mate thanx for all the info and the rest of you mates out there,
i am in a dilemma not sure which way to go,am in western Aussie applied for
TRA they said insufficient evidence so need me do a trade test fo Electrical fitter ,am not sure if will manage the practical need advise anyone done it in W.A and do they test you in W.A ,is there anywhere in W.A i can get pre-test familiarisation.Other option they gave was if i do not take the test they use what they have and may not be successful,been a distribution electrician
for for 8 yrs post apprenticeship but motors and fabrication are a scare for me ,help! my worry is failling the practical exam need an insight of how they do it in W.A.,even theory ideas,presently on a 457 visa doing maintenance work been around for a year worried this may affect my visa status ...help!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

MarkRob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1zalee
Hey mate thanx for all the info and the rest of you mates out there,
i am in a dilemma not sure which way to go,am in western Aussie applied for
TRA they said insufficient evidence so need me do a trade test fo Electrical fitter ,am not sure if will manage the practical need advise anyone done it in W.A and do they test you in W.A ,is there anywhere in W.A i can get pre-test familiarisation.Other option they gave was if i do not take the test they use what they have and may not be successful,been a distribution electrician
for for 8 yrs post apprenticeship but motors and fabrication are a scare for me ,help! my worry is failling the practical exam need an insight of how they do it in W.A.,even theory ideas,presently on a 457 visa doing maintenance work been around for a year worried this may affect my visa status ...help!!

im in the same boat mate im sitting my trades test on the 11th May not 100% on the info they have sent me, when are you sitting your test?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:27 am
Just Joined

spike9692001 will become famous soon enoughspike9692001 will become famous soon enough

Hi im over here in SA and have come from uk i had a job offer and a 457 sponsored visa unfortunately DIAC wouldnt give them the sponsorship to take me on, so i have gone for the 175 visa. I have passed all my C&G 2360 2381 2391 and the SA/3000 wiring rules i also have 27 years of experiance but i never did an appenticeship. I have passed TRA but need to get my ARTC certificate
even though i dont have my visa through yet im told by TRA i can still apply. TRA have said that because i havent done an apprenticeship i will have to take the practical theory exam. Also they say that i have to be in Australia to take it.My question is 1. Why do i have to take the exam when i have taken and passed the same qualifications as i would have if i had done an apprenticeship.
2. How can i be in Australia to take the exam if i have to go back to the uk when my visa runs out.
Do they actually want uk electricians over here or are they exploiting us to get cheap labour on restricted licences. Anyway best not say too much dont want to be a winging pomm now do i lol any help would be appreciated any help best of luck to you all spike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.