ARTC declined Help

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Eltonb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC declined Help

hi all

I am a electrician c&g trained from UK. I moved to Australia on a WHV done some travel then worked as a TA and decided to send off my artc to start the first step of getting licenced, they kept requesting more info about my experience and I carried on providing it.

Then I had a tech interview and was asked questions about motors (IN DEPTH) and now I have received a letter saying my application was unsuccessful in the following areas-STAR CONNECTIONS,3 PHASE MOTORS,ELECTRICAL CALCULATIONS.

I heard it was not easy to get the artc but come on I class myself as a all around well skilled electrician but because I don't work on motors day in day out I don't no every single detail about them. Do all auzzie sparks only work on motors what about the rest of the industry.

Has any one got any advice in what to do now and is there someone out there in the same boat as me

cheers
Elton
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 11:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC declined Help

Originally Posted by Eltonb
hi all

I am a electrician c&g trained from UK. I moved to Australia on a WHV done some travel then worked as a TA and decided to send off my artc to start the first step of getting licenced, they kept requesting more info about my experience and I carried on providing it.

Then I had a tech interview and was asked questions about motors (IN DEPTH) and now I have received a letter saying my application was unsuccessful in the following areas-STAR CONNECTIONS,3 PHASE MOTORS,ELECTRICAL CALCULATIONS.

I heard it was not easy to get the artc but come on I class myself as a all around well skilled electrician but because I don't work on motors day in day out I don't no every single detail about them. Do all auzzie sparks only work on motors what about the rest of the industry.

Has any one got any advice in what to do now and is there someone out there in the same boat as me

cheers
Elton
Hi Elton - you could possibly have a look at the OTSR, but if you are only here on WHV, probably not worth it. The ARTC has gotten a lot harder, and they require really in depth references, as well as copies of qualifications. You could possibly swat up on motors and appeal the decision, but again if you are only here for a short while, it may not be worth it.

If you are considering applying for PR the OTSR would be the better option. What state are you in?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Eltonb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Elton - you could possibly have a look at the OTSR, but if you are only here on WHV, probably not worth it. The ARTC has gotten a lot harder, and they require really in depth references, as well as copies of qualifications. You could possibly swat up on motors and appeal the decision, but again if you are only here for a short while, it may not be worth it.

If you are considering applying for PR the OTSR would be the better option. What state are you in?
Thanks for the reply . I provided excellent references from past employers and copies of all my Certs and experience. Ye I am here on a WHV but looking to get sponsor with the mob I am working for I no intention to go back to UK what so ever . What is the difference between the artc and the otsr . I am in Victoria

Cheers
Elton
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:15 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eltonb
Thanks for the reply . I provided excellent references from past employers and copies of all my Certs and experience. Ye I am here on a WHV but looking to get sponsor with the mob I am working for I no intention to go back to UK what so ever . What is the difference between the artc and the otsr . I am in Victoria

Cheers
Elton
ARTC - Australian Recognised Trade Cert - not recognised for migration purposes

OTSR - Overseas Technical Skills Record - needed for any PR application if from UK.

The sample references I have seen run to many pages and have to spell out all the electrical work you do. Vic Uni will do OTSR - you could try contacting them if you are going for PR.

If company is looking to sponsor on 457, then have a look at appealing the ARTC maybe, not sure on licensing in Victoria. There was a thread on here recently regarding LEA, LEP and eprofiling in Victoria where someone completed the gap training to get full license.

Someone else may have other advice too.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Saffer is an unknown quantity at this point

ARTC - Australian Recognised Trade Cert - not recognised for migration purposes

OTSR - Overseas Technical Skills Record - needed for any PR application if from UK.

The sample references I have seen run to many pages and have to spell out all the electrical work you do. Vic Uni will do OTSR - you could try contacting them if you are going for PR.

If company is looking to sponsor on 457, then have a look at appealing the ARTC maybe, not sure on licensing in Victoria. There was a thread on here recently regarding LEA, LEP and eprofiling in Victoria where someone completed the gap training to get full license.

Someone else may have other advice too.

Old Sparkles
Okay after reading this im really confused... just spoke to you on the other thread about the OTSR and ARTC etc.
So we are on a 457 and need to go for the 186 ENS . If my husband get the ARTC will he be able to apply for PR then or do you need the OTSR ? He gave the TRA for the 457 nomination approval without having a OTSR.
Why do they make it so difficult and not have one system for all to follow instead making everyone run in circles ....
ps. sorry for all the questions I just need to see how we can get this thing going
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Saffer
Old Sparkles
Okay after reading this im really confused... just spoke to you on the other thread about the OTSR and ARTC etc.
So we are on a 457 and need to go for the 186 ENS . If my husband get the ARTC will he be able to apply for PR then or do you need the OTSR ? He gave the TRA for the 457 nomination approval without having a OTSR.
Why do they make it so difficult and not have one system for all to follow instead making everyone run in circles ....
ps. sorry for all the questions I just need to see how we can get this thing going
If you have been with an employer for 2 years on 457 I don't think you need a skills assessment - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx (Temporary Residence Transition stream)
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:15 am
Just Joined

If you have been with an employer for 2 years on 457 I don't think you need a skills assessment - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx (Temporary Residence Transition stream)
we were under the impression if the granted visa says Electrician (General) You need to have the licence before you are able to apply for the PR 186 ENS? It says on all the places I have read that you don't need skills assessment but you still have to give an updated resume so thought they would check on there if an electrical license is mentioned... ??
anybody else that went through this ? please advise
Old Nov 6th 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Saffer
we were under the impression if the granted visa says Electrician (General) You need to have the licence before you are able to apply for the PR 186 ENS? It says on all the places I have read that you don't need skills assessment but you still have to give an updated resume so thought they would check on there if an electrical license is mentioned... ??
anybody else that went through this ? please advise
Funny enough I was thinking of you in the night, and have sent an enquiry to NSW Fair Trading regarding pathways to licensing for overseas electricians that do not have OTSR as not all countries are elligible for this anyway. In terms of applying for PR, in the booklet it mentions licensing but says that you can work under supervision, and I was told previously that NSW has a pay scale for unlicensed electricians working under supervision.

Also, from Fair Trading

Electrical wiring work means the actual physical work of installing, repairing, altering, removing or adding to an electrical installation or the supervising of that work.
Since your OH is now not physically installing, he can do his job legally without a license maybe. Might be worth having a chat with an agent thats good with this type of thing
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Old Sparkles
Sorry to keep you awake through the night with our issues lol.
I had a look at the booklet 5 and I have send both of my concerns to an agent and got response back . According to her even though Immigration do not do a skills assessment again on the ENS 186 (transition stream) , you still have to obtain the licence as the visa was granted on a Electrician (General ) and ocupations that require licence or registration need to legally have it .I still don't get it though as he is in position where he oversee teams that do the maintenance and not physical doing it himself. And everywhere I read they say you need the licence if you do the wiring and installations yourself. Have you ever heard of the NSW State training services? They have a tribunal where a Electrician or skilled person can send their portofolio and they decide If they can get the trade certificate after going through all the work experience and documents. My OH and his company are busy with the portofolio now and will give it a go . They have a sitting on the 21st of Nov apparently where the board go through these portofolios and make decisions. (Fair trade NSW recommended this after our training advisor from work went to see them himself as he got frustrated by not getting anywhere with what we need to do just like we did. Here is the link have a look. www.training.nsw.gov.au . Once they give the trade certificate you can apply for the provisional licence and then do the rest of the steps to get to the A licence. If there is anyone that have been through this path please let me know. Old Sparkles let me know the outcome of the request you have send to TRA please. Thanks for the advice so far
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

He needs the license because he has allegedly been working as an Electrician for the last 2 years under sponsorship. If he does not in fact work as an electrician he should be sponsored as an electrical project manager and applying under PR for it. If he is not doing the job he was sponsored for his visa is technically void which is the way immigration will see it. Your only option is to do the electrical gap training. If you argue about this too much you wont get PR.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

SparkyAU is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the licence in vic, but came through vetassess.