Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Anything I need to do in UK before migratring??

Anything I need to do in UK before migratring??

Old May 31st 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anything I need to do in UK before migratring??

My husband and I already have PR and our visa states we must emigrate by 2012 so this post isn't related to gaining entry into Australia.

My husband qualified as an electrician (16th edition) in August 2004 and then passed Inspection and Testing in February 2007. He didn't undertake a formal apprenticeship but did start working as a electrician's mate in January 2003. Prior to that he was a toolmaker (that's how we got our PR).

My question relates to working as an electrician when we get to Oz and getting a licence.

Is there anything that he can do before getting to Oz with regard to getting a licence so that we are ready to go when we get there? Also, does he have to wait until he has been qualified for seven years before he can get a licence (i.e. August 2011)?

Any info, websites etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 31st 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

madtanz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anything I need to do in UK before migratring??

Hi there,

Most of the information you need with regard to licensing etc can be found within this forum,

Start here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

and here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609970

Apologies if you've already read them but without the ARTC (which you can apply for from the UK, but the outcome can only be sent to an address within Australia) you will have big problems trying to get licenced, there are plenty of helpful people on here who have put in their own time and effort to find and confirm the information.
The best of this information can be found in these threads.
I hope that this helps.

Madtanz

Last edited by madtanz; May 31st 2009 at 1:59 pm.
Old May 31st 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
My husband and I already have PR and our visa states we must emigrate by 2012 so this post isn't related to gaining entry into Australia.

My husband qualified as an electrician (16th edition) in August 2004 and then passed Inspection and Testing in February 2007. He didn't undertake a formal apprenticeship but did start working as a electrician's mate in January 2003. Prior to that he was a toolmaker (that's how we got our PR).

My question relates to working as an electrician when we get to Oz and getting a licence.

Is there anything that he can do before getting to Oz with regard to getting a licence so that we are ready to go when we get there? Also, does he have to wait until he has been qualified for seven years before he can get a licence (i.e. August 2011)?

Any info, websites etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I take it you have validated your visa.
Who's skills got you the visa
get an artc cert then go via PEER its the easiest way
Old May 31st 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Madtanz, thanks for the links I'll have a look.

the dooners - my husband was a toolmaker before qualifying as a sparks and luckily this was on the skills shortage so we got skilled migration visa through this. Yup we validated visa last April. I'm still studying so we aren't ready to go yet, plus if what I've already been is correct, Simon (hubbie) has to be qualified in UK for seven years before he can get a licence in Oz?

Thanks for your advice guys.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:36 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi Madtanz, thanks for the links I'll have a look.

the dooners - my husband was a toolmaker before qualifying as a sparks and luckily this was on the skills shortage so we got skilled migration visa through this. Yup we validated visa last April. I'm still studying so we aren't ready to go yet, plus if what I've already been is correct, Simon (hubbie) has to be qualified in UK for seven years before he can get a licence in Oz?

Thanks for your advice guys.
You may come a cropper without a bit more on the job experience, Aussies (correctly in my opinion) have far more stringent requirements yoiu need to satisfy before you can start working as an electrician. Over here a 16th or 17th edition qualification (which effectively proves you can read) is all you need to get 'skilled' work in some quarters. In order to get a licence in Oz you need the Australian Recognised Trade Certificate and then complete one of the various routes to gain an actual licence - the easiest of which by far seems to be the PEER route. All is not necessarily lost though as relevant trade experience is considered and along with a practical skills assessment you can get there without a formal recognised apprenticeship. I am not tooi sure on the requirements for the experience only route but a good start would probably be the Vettasses requirements to get you as far as a practical assessment.

I don't mean to cause any offense or cast any aspersions regarding skills or ability but I think you need to be prepared for a grilling and practical test at the very least once the experience requirements (sorry don't know what they are) are met.

Good Luck
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rinkerdink and of course no offence taken!

Just having a look at the PEER website will give them a call and see what has to happen next and whether it can be done from UK.

Thanks again.

Emma

Last edited by emmakc1977; Jun 4th 2009 at 7:13 pm.