Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:40 am
Just Joined

applebite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Originally Posted by steved61
Hi folks hate to correct you carry, you do not need to prove your qualification but you do need to prove your experiance ie letter from your employer detailing what work you have carried out

regards

steve
Hi
I have been working as an electrician in early Eighties in commercial and industrial set ups in India and in UAE. I then upgraded my qualifications and worked in sales and marketing. Now after many months of working on odd jobs in Alberta I have decided to start my carer again as an electrician. The experience letters i have got from old employers does not explain what kind of work I have been doing. One of the plant where i worked for 3 years has been closed down. Please provide some guide line about what kind of expereinece letter is required to be eligible to sit in IP test and if employer who provided the experience letter is not able to get hold off. How they verify the experience letters. Do they call them or arrange some agency to go and check physically about the authanticity of the experience letter. Please reply...
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:51 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by applebite
Hi
I have been working as an electrician in early Eighties in commercial and industrial set ups in India and in UAE. I then upgraded my qualifications and worked in sales and marketing. Now after many months of working on odd jobs in Alberta I have decided to start my carer again as an electrician. The experience letters i have got from old employers does not explain what kind of work I have been doing. One of the plant where i worked for 3 years has been closed down. Please provide some guide line about what kind of expereinece letter is required to be eligible to sit in IP test and if employer who provided the experience letter is not able to get hold off. How they verify the experience letters. Do they call them or arrange some agency to go and check physically about the authanticity of the experience letter. Please reply...
If you do not have the letters from prev employers you will need to do a letter with all the information in it and then get it sworn in front of a solicitor.
if you contact AAIT they will explain this for you

good luck
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

sambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kazclan,

I was searching on the net as at the moment i am thinking about moving to canada and hopefully i am going to continue my trade as an electrician. Just wondered if you new anything about transfering my qualifications to canada and any other info that you have.

Cheers any help would be gratfully appreciated.

Sambo
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:18 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sambo
Hi Kazclan,

I was searching on the net as at the moment i am thinking about moving to canada and hopefully i am going to continue my trade as an electrician. Just wondered if you new anything about transfering my qualifications to canada and any other info that you have.

Cheers any help would be gratfully appreciated.

Sambo
Which country are you coming from sambo??
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

England
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:56 pm

England
Sambo

it will depend on where you are heading for a job, if it is alberta you will need to contact the AAIT there is links on here for it, if it is ontario then you will to contact the ministry of training, other areas of canada have different departments that you have to contact.

Also you will need to decide on what area of a electrician that you are coming in on, construction/domestic or industrial

Hubby came in on industrial and has a job in a factory here, he was allowed in on temp work visa and has to sit his red seal within 6mths of being here.
also they will advise you that you will need to prove 9000hrs in the trade, letters from employers etc along with your traing cert's from the uk.
that is why i asked which country, as some countrys are different.

hope that helps
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moondevil
Sambo

it will depend on where you are heading for a job, if it is alberta you will need to contact the AAIT there is links on here for it, if it is ontario then you will to contact the ministry of training, other areas of canada have different departments that you have to contact.

Also you will need to decide on what area of a electrician that you are coming in on, construction/domestic or industrial

Hubby came in on industrial and has a job in a factory here, he was allowed in on temp work visa and has to sit his red seal within 6mths of being here.
also they will advise you that you will need to prove 9000hrs in the trade, letters from employers etc along with your traing cert's from the uk.
that is why i asked which country, as some countrys are different.

hope that helps
Cheers,

I would like to work in BC and industrial/commercial is what i work in at the moment so that is what i would like to do in Canada. One Question though what is the red seal?

Thanks

Sambo
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:41 pm

Cheers,

I would like to work in BC and industrial/commercial is what i work in at the moment so that is what i would like to do in Canada. One Question though what is the red seal?

Thanks

Sambo
Red seal is the appentinceship that canadians do to gain there licence.
All trades have to have a licence here in canada, so for you to work as an electrician here you will need to challenge the red seal exam.
you will need to find the trade place in BC for this, not sure of the link for there
but same stuff really as here in alberta

good luck
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

All trades have to have a licence here in canada, so for you to work as an electrician here you will need to challenge the red seal exam.
you will need to find the trade place in BC for this, not sure of the link for there

good luck
Cheers thanks for your help
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

shasoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i've been reading this site for months now and i'm finally making a move.
I'm going to Calgary for a week(i know it wont be long enough) in Jan09 to see a bit of the place and hopefully pick up some good contacts.
Can any one tell me what the work situation(commercial/domestic) is for Electricians over there in the current climate? Also has any one got any leads to follow for me when i get over there?
Hope i'm not being cheeky any information would be most and gratfully appreciated.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

good luck
FYI
Red Seal or IP is the exam that out of province electricians (including those from the UK) need to pass in order to gain ELECTRICAL license to undertake work in Canada province wide (except Quebec).
TQ is equivalent to our City & Guilds indentured apprenticeship this doesn't allow an Ontario qualified electrician to practise in Alberta without the IP.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shasoh
Hi, i've been reading this site for months now and i'm finally making a move.
I'm going to Calgary for a week(i know it wont be long enough) in Jan09 to see a bit of the place and hopefully pick up some good contacts.
Can any one tell me what the work situation(commercial/domestic) is for Electricians over there in the current climate? Also has any one got any leads to follow for me when i get over there?
Hope i'm not being cheeky any information would be most and gratfully appreciated.
Not sure of your status / situation but........Most of the larger electrical companies have permenant openings for electricians, I would suggest that you check out the Alberta Electrical Associations member roster contact them directly.
Also Workopolis, monster etc are also a good source of vacancies.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
FYI
Red Seal or IP is the exam that out of province electricians (including those from the UK) need to pass in order to gain ELECTRICAL license to undertake work in Canada province wide (except Quebec).
TQ is equivalent to our City & Guilds indentured apprenticeship this doesn't allow an Ontario qualified electrician to practise in Alberta without the IP.
I advised the poster that he will need to check out BC not ontario, if he advised that he was going to ontario then i have the links from when my OH went through this last year and it is totally different in ontario than alberta as we already know.
alberta i can also give the links to, but as the guy is clearly going to BC then i advised him that he would need to do a search for that area.

Also to the other poster, becareful with jobs in alberta at the moment, as many other areas, there is guys who have the LMO in hand and have just been advised that they can no longer come over as there is no work for them.

I have helped a few gain employment in our area, but sadly work is slim, make sure that you feel safe with the employer you chose, also look at the new list that has come out, PR can be gain alot quicker now that a few months ago.................good luck
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

shasoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback, my background-33 years old, timeserved jib approved electrician, 9 years experience after apprenticeship mainly in commercial/industrial area, but have been working on domestic properties for the last 8 months(testing, no wonder i've got to get away!)
I've got the oh and 2 year old with me, i've been looking into making the move for the last 12 months and mainly from this site and others think i understand what i need to do.
Were off on a recce in a couple of weeks to Calgary, which is our first big step and want make it as productive as possible. However feeling unsure about the work situation, in the current climate i'm confident i could get enough work to see me through in the uk, but worried that in a new place without many contacts it could dry up.
Is the situation over there, if your a good sparks that doesn't mind hard work you'll keep going or would you be at the bottom of the pecking order everytime to keep the canadian sparks going.
Basically in your opinion have i missed the boat?
once again thanks for the feedback and sorry about the ramblings!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:55 am
Just Joined

gtcobra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, ok I signed up here to give you info about Electricians in Alberta and the rest of Canada if you want.
I am a born and raised Albertan and am a Journeyman/Master Electrician with my red seal license so maybe I can help if I can...and If I am not out-of-date with these posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.