Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

coolzak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

your apprenticeship is included in 9000hr
once you pass exam you will be holder of red seal which is valid all over Canada
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:49 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Your licence is no good all over canada.

If you sit your licence in alberta, you will not be able to use in ontario, we have looked into this.
Also the 9000hrs does not include you training, only hours worked as a qualified electrician for international trained.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

The Red Seal Program was established to provide greater mobility across Canada for skilled workers. Through the program, apprentices who have completed their training and certified journeypersons, are able to obtain a Red Seal endorsement on their Certificates of Qualification and Apprenticeship by successfully completing an Interprovincial Standards Examination.

The program encourages standardization of provincial and territorial apprenticeship training and certification programs. The Red Seal allows qualified tradespersons to practice the trade in any province or territory in Canada where the trade is designated without having to write further examinations. To date, there are 49 trades included in the Red Seal Program on a national basis.
Legislation permits provinces and territories to designate trades and develop apprenticeship programs for their own requirements. Thus, in excess of 300 apprenticeship programs are available across Canada. The Ellis Chart, a comparative chart of apprentice training programs across Canada, is produced by HRSDC in collaboration and consultation with the provinces and territories and provides training and certification details for all of these apprenticeable programs
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/fo..._qual_cert.pdf read this page 5 on top

Last edited by coolzak; Dec 29th 2007 at 6:24 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:48 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

That would be nice if the guys are sitting the red seal.

My OH has been to the ministry of training in ontario and went through a v.v. long assesment, at the end he was advised that he met the red seal standard and could sit the ontario licence, this is totally different to red seal, this is the licence to work in ontario.

This licence is no good in alberta and he must sit there licence within 6mths of working as an electrician.
In alberta the licence is for all trades, where in ontario the licence is either construction or industrial, NOT both.
The info we have received and is correct with the AAIT who issue this licence is -----

We are currently looking to fill positions for electricians and would be interested in your qualifications. However, Electrician is considered a compulsory trade in Alberta and in many other provinces in Canada, which means that you will need to get your qualifications assessed and recognized by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board (AAIT) in order to work in the province as a journeyman. This assessment involves an application stating the number of hours and months of “hands-on” experience in the trade and accompanying documents signed by your employers that confirm your experience, as well as a multiple choice theory exam which is written in the first 6 months of your stay in Canada. The initial application costs $450 (paid to AAIT) and with a favourable response, you will be eligible for a long-term work permit. In order to get a favourable assessment, candidates need to prove at least 8775 hours and 72 months of ‘hands-on’ experience which does not include time spent on supervisory or foreman duties, counter work, heading the tool crib, or on a training course. These hours must be proven through certified true copies of reference letters from employers or through signed “confirmation of work experience” forms that are provided in the application.

Hope that helps people who are looking at moving over, believe me we know guys who have failed the licence and they have to re-train before sitting the licence again
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

construction and maitenance licence included industrial licence and will be recognized in Alberta like general electrician licence i belive/holder of industrial electrician licence have to sit exam
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:24 pm

ANY electrician in alberta has to have a licence this is seperate to your red seal, red seal is just an apprentaship like you get in the uk.

Once you have had your skills checked out with the alberta body, you have to prove "HANDS ON" skills to be-able to get the licence.
Red seal is everywhere in canada, but please do not get the red seal and the licence confused with each other.

Every province in canada have there own licence rules, please do not think that just because you have red seal or you have done a course in any country that you can work without the licence.
The rules are totally different in canada to the uk or other countrys.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

red seal mean red seal- licence/once you get it it valid all over Canada/
Couple years ago when you pass exam with score 60 to 70 you got licence.with score over 70 it was red seal.Now it only red seal-you have to pass with score 70+.And no exam on hand on experience-it diuretical exam.For validation of you practical experience you have to provide letters from employers with statement what you did and for how long
maybe you are confuse with electrical contractor licence-it totally different

Last edited by coolzak; Dec 29th 2007 at 9:09 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:20 pm

Nope not confused...info given by the trade who issue the licence.

international trained guys/girls need to prove that they have done the hands on hours in the trade, then they are able to sit the licence, please see post above for info.

You still need to sit exam and pass with 70 or above
Do speak to AAIT regarding this - right off to do something interesting like sorting our for our party

All info regarding what you need is above
All upto date as off 20th december when other half spoke with the alberta trade board, once he sits his licence he can choose what area he wants to work.....
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Nope not confused...info given by the trade who issue the licence.

international trained guys/girls need to prove that they have done the hands on hours in the trade, then they are able to sit the licence, please see post above for info.

You still need to sit exam and pass with 70 or above
Do speak to AAIT regarding this - right off to do something interesting like sorting our for our party

All info regarding what you need is above
All upto date as off 20th december when other half spoke with the alberta trade board, once he sits his licence he can choose what area he wants to work.....
I'm confused,

But can confirm that once experience & creds have been positively assessed a construction electrician only needs to pass the IP (red seal) to work here in Canada (apart from Quebec). The TQ exam which canadians sit has been assessed as equal to UK city & guilds, hence no requirement to sit this. In order to satisfy a federal requirement to be viewed as meeting the minimum credentials of an electrician in the greater Canada the IP exam needs to be passed, this also allows for the successful individual to work as an electrician anywhere in Canada (apart from Quebec). The IP is the only interprovincial certificate accepted Alberta TQ (licence) for example means nothing in Ontario and vice-versa. When it comes to Industrial I'm not sure.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
I'm confused,

But can confirm that once experience & creds have been positively assessed a construction electrician only needs to pass the IP (red seal) to work here in Canada (apart from Quebec). The TQ exam which canadians sit has been assessed as equal to UK city & guilds, hence no requirement to sit this. In order to satisfy a federal requirement to be viewed as meeting the minimum credentials of an electrician in the greater Canada the IP exam needs to be passed, this also allows for the successful individual to work as an electrician anywhere in Canada (apart from Quebec). The IP is the only interprovincial certificate accepted Alberta TQ (licence) for example means nothing in Ontario and vice-versa. When it comes to Industrial I'm not sure.
What i was saying is after u have been checked you need a licence, each province has there own licence, so even though hubby has gone through everything for ontario, he needs to do it again in alberta.
Atkins are helping him sort this out, they have sent his info to aait and no probs, just waiting on a document to br signed from uk courts and can get the stuff sent off. hope that clears that up
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
What i was saying is after u have been checked you need a licence, each province has there own licence, so even though hubby has gone through everything for ontario, he needs to do it again in alberta.
Atkins are helping him sort this out, they have sent his info to aait and no probs, just waiting on a document to br signed from uk courts and can get the stuff sent off. hope that clears that up
Perfectly clear
Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

a guy on my site passed his IP in ont and works in Alberta Calgary ???
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

1 step-confirm that once experience & creds
2 step -recive temporary licence valid for 6 mnt
3 step-pass exam and get red seal valid all over Canada
it what i did
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Offshore Rig Electrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Hello guys

I am new to this site and am on the hunt for some information.

I am an offshore rig electrician working in the North Sea on a drilling & production platform. My wife and I are very interested in moving to Canada, (AB),
Can anyone provide me with any information to how I would go about getting an interview with a offshore company?
I have searched through the various recruitment websites relating to oil & gas work but cannot find anything of any great help.

I would also consider industrial maintenance onshore in either the oil sands or factories.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Gav
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Offshore Rig Electrician
Hello guys

I am new to this site and am on the hunt for some information.

I am an offshore rig electrician working in the North Sea on a drilling & production platform. My wife and I are very interested in moving to Canada, (AB),
Can anyone provide me with any information to how I would go about getting an interview with a offshore company?
I have searched through the various recruitment websites relating to oil & gas work but cannot find anything of any great help.

I would also consider industrial maintenance onshore in either the oil sands or factories.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Gav
Gav

I believe any work north of Calgary is controlled by the unions, any position offered is usually on contract.
It might be a good idea to contact the IBEW in Edmonton or Fort Mac and see if they are willing to assit you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.