Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:22 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Good luck steve
Are you taking the exam in toronto???

Gill
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:31 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Good luck steve
Are you taking the exam in toronto???

Gill
No i will take it in barrie, from what i have heard it is a lot more civilised than taking it in toronto, long queues in toronto and hit and miss if you can get in to take the exam. They seem quite relaxed and easy going at barrie
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:38 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

They are, toronto is a rat race, hubby can pre-book now, will be coming out in the next month or so.
Hes been doing the re-tests at home and is getting high marks, so fingers crossed that second time lucky.

There is a guy up near barrie that does the training, afew have mentioned him on here.

If yu get to meet a good guy/girl at the ministry they will help you no end, we have ours email address for questions and when he ready to re-book.

Have you gone through the assemement yet steve?
We spoke with the ministry in barrie, abit unhelpful, london office was fab

Good luck for your move

Gill
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:50 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

They are, toronto is a rat race, hubby can pre-book now, will be coming out in the next month or so.
Hes been doing the re-tests at home and is getting high marks, so fingers crossed that second time lucky.

There is a guy up near barrie that does the training, afew have mentioned him on here.

If yu get to meet a good guy/girl at the ministry they will help you no end, we have ours email address for questions and when he ready to re-book.

Have you gone through the assemement yet steve?
We spoke with the ministry in barrie, abit unhelpful, london office was fab

Good luck for your move

Gill
i haven't done the full assessment yet i took in a letter from my employer back in march and they said that it didn't break down my experiance enough so i got it retyped but i haven't had them check it yet.

once again fingers crossed everything will be ok, i will be taking some headed paper with me just in case.

Wish your OH good luck with his retest

Steve
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Davywavy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats unlucky mate, best of luck to ya.
Davy
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:21 am
Just Joined

johnz1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI to all! i recently came upon this thread about how to work in Canada.

Im sorry to be rude , i was wondering if anyone can tell me the steps on how to securing a job in Canada?. Im a young New Zealand citizen by the way, and recently became a Registered Electrican but it has always been my dream to live and work in Canada. The thought of my career as a ticket for me to get there. PLEASE if anyone can give me info or steps on how i can do this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

John

PS: i was encouraged on all the succesfull job finds from the members of this thread.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:42 pm

Hi john

To sit the test in alberta or ontario you have to beable to prove that you have done 9000hrs, i think all the other areas are the same.

As you are new to the job you may find it alittle hard securing a job, what area are you moving too and also what area of electrician are you, industrial, construction etc etc

Alittle info can help
I can also pass some info your way if i knew the area.
Also look on judys wiki section on the bar above, some really helpful info on there

Gill
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the reply gill_andy_grew!!.

My situation right now is that I am currently working in New Zealand as a recent Registered Electrician I have just been registered for at least 2years after completing my 3 years apprenticeship.. also done all the examinations.. I have worked in a variety of fields during my training as a apprentice but i have worked specially on domestic wiring and fitting , installing and industrial maintenance but i guess after you saying the 9000 hours i might need a few more years experenience..

I was also on a holiday in Canada in British Columbia last year and i fell in LUV with the place straight away!, also went Alberta checking out the place but i really had no clue on how to secure a job in Canada..

After coming back to NZ i decided to email a few of the training places in Canada to get an idea of wheter i should retrain or do a exam in order to qualify?, one of the companies that got back to me was from New Brunswick, they said i needed to meet the "Assesment of Credentials" in order to work there.

It would be great if i could get a ground on where i should start my search or any contacts i should get a hold off or what path i should take to move there..for the location i want to go to it would have to be British Columbia or Alberta but dont really mind on what state... are there different set of requirements for different states? are you able to move around after?.

once again thanks gill for the info.hope i wont be to much of a fuss. thanks again.

PS: Help this crazy young Kiwi in search of adventure in Canada

Last edited by johnz1986; Dec 1st 2007 at 9:13 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:12 am

Catch situation really, untill you have the 9000hrs you cant sit the exam
Without the exam you cant get the licence so that you are able to work.

Have you looked at bunac, have a read on the wiki articles above they maybe some use in what direction you need to take now.

Sorry i cant help further, but all the info i have is for experienced guys who need to sit the exam

Gill
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks gill for the info,.... yes it seems i need atleast a year or two in order for me to sit that exam. but im very determined to get going to Canada soon.

It would be great though if you could give me a link on infos about the exam and exam examples, thanks.

ive also tried applying at New brunswick.. they got back to me saying about passing a test, they have also asked for my CV, but not sure yet where it is going. So im just keeping my fingers cross.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:35 am

If you havent yet looked at other areas, then have you looked at ontario
Also try speaking to the red seal guys and see what heppens.
I get some links togeather and post them on here later for you.
Our search has been mainly alberta and ontario, although everything at the moment is looking at ontario as there is a job offer for hubby there.

good luck
gill
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

thanks for that gill, not still havent looked at ontario, but i was just wondering how the demand of electrician is there in Ontario compared to the other states.. Also will have alook at that red seal.

hope you can explain what the red seal is thanks.

Congrats on your husband for the job offer. hope all goes well.

thanks for the info once again.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:15 pm

Right a few links to kick you off

Agood place to buy the books -- http://www.psknight.com/
and http://www.orderline.com/detail.asp?group=17093

ontario trade - http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/training/foreign.html
and http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...on/index.shtml

You can also contact employers and see if any will take you on under there apprentice http://www.labourmarketinformation.c...sel_criteria=0

one for alberta http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...cupations.html

If you use www.google.ca for your search it will come back with more than if you use your local one
also check out the wiki articles http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Main_Page judy has spent alot of time on these and are a must read for any newbie here on BE

Hope the info is of some use.
The red seal is the local apprentaship for canada http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/index_e.htm as you are new to the trade you may need to get some more years behind you, but never say never and something may come along that may help

Good luck

Gill
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Downesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Catch situation really, untill you have the 9000hrs you cant sit the exam
Without the exam you cant get the licence so that you are able to work.

Have you looked at bunac, have a read on the wiki articles above they maybe some use in what direction you need to take now.

Sorry i cant help further, but all the info i have is for experienced guys who need to sit the exam

Gill
Hello
Im from Western Australia and will be leaving on a Working Holiday Visa to Canada for 12 months . I have been an a qualified Industrial Electrician for a bit out over 3 years and intend to work in my trade will im in Canada. My question is with this 9000hrs does it include your apprenticeship as well ? because 9000hrs is pretty much 4 years which is the same time served as an apprentice . ??
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Downesy
Hello
Im from Western Australia and will be leaving on a Working Holiday Visa to Canada for 12 months . I have been an a qualified Industrial Electrician for a bit out over 3 years and intend to work in my trade will im in Canada. My question is with this 9000hrs does it include your apprenticeship as well ? because 9000hrs is pretty much 4 years which is the same time served as an apprentice . ??
Nope the apprenticeshp is not included in the 9000hrs.
it is time served after you have qualified, you need to talk to the alberta board when you are there, if you are travelling around canada, do remember that each provinice is diferent and have different rules.
We know that if OH gets his licence for ontario, it wouldnt be any good in alberta :curse: but we maybe able to give more detail as hubby has lined some contacts up in calgary, so maybe flying over in the new year

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.