Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

nikoletta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is anyone working as electrician in alberta, canada

Originally Posted by kazclan
Hi Phill
Just a update...my hubby got a job offer and the company is now applying for a LMO, then we will be going over on a WP (and then applying for a PR while we are there) they have looked into things there end and say that he can sit the exam while out there within 3 months of moving over.
The company is in BC - Lower mainland - surrey/langley district. i can not tell you how excited we are.

kazclan
Hi kazclan, congratulation. Can I just ask did you go trough immigration consultant or did you just send your resumes to various companies. Can I also ask if you gone through immigration consultant who did you pick? We are having a little bit of problems as we nearly got ripped off.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:15 am
Just Joined

kazclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikoletta
Hi kazclan, congratulation. Can I just ask did you go trough immigration consultant or did you just send your resumes to various companies. Can I also ask if you gone through immigration consultant who did you pick? We are having a little bit of problems as we nearly got ripped off.
Hi nikoletta
we did look at going through a consultant but decided to go down the cheap and cheerful route and do it ourselves, one company who at first seemed interested kept pushing one consultant in particular, this put us off them a little.
The company we finally finally accepted did not even ask if we were with a consultant, we exchanged several emails etc and they offered my hubby a job.
So my advice from our experience would be give sending out your resume and cover letter (don't forget that the canadian resumes are slightly different to UK ones, have a look at some templates and modify yours) do some research we did monster.ca and several others also we looked up companies listed on websites like :-

http://www.cans.ns.ca/cansnet/companylisting.aspx

i hope this helps and if you need any more help just yell.

Good luck
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

kazclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
Just a quick update to let anyone out there know if they are interested that we have got our LMO, it has took only 3 1/2 wks from start to finish.
Next step is to sort out the work permits & study permits.

Hopefully if all goes well we can be in canada by the end of April.

next stop BC .... yipeeee

kazclan
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Philwill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kazclan, great news, hope it all goes well for you guys. We should be going over April-ish, absolutley crapping it to be honest but cannot wait to get stuck in over there.

Keep us informed
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Philwill
Hey Steve, I was sent a copy of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, Nineteenth Edition by my Lawyers. As I understand it there are two exams that Electricians take, 1: Construction and Maintenance 2: Industrial. At the Toronto office they wouldn't let me take Industrial because my Employers Reference wasn't specific enough on what types of Industrial work I'd done, so I had to take the Construction paper. I had heard off friends that people they knew had got very low marks the first time round, one guy only got a percentage that was in the 20s. Even though I revised quite hard I still didn't pass, I got 52% and its a 70% Pass. Still, I'm not deterred, I've since been sent a Practice exam for when I retake it in Alberta.

I also found that taking the exam in Toronto is a lot cheaper than Alberta, its also done on a first-come-first-serve basis..........but when I took the exam I'd been queued outside since 5:30 in the morning with 50 other people and by the time I took the exam I was frozen and dead on my feet. I wish that I'd paid the extra and taken it in Alberta.
hi phil im doing exam in calgary alberta do you have a spare copy of practice exam by any chance? hope im not being to cheeky asking thanks lee
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:11 am
Just Joined

coolzak is an unknown quantity at this point

online training in canadian el exam-http://www.thelearningpit.com/elec/int/code/quizmenu.asp
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

thanks for that !!! its gr8
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Philwill
We have a flight to Toronto on Sunday at 4pm, the plan was to Register for the Electrical Exam on Monday morning and then take the exam itself on Tuesday morning. The Lawyer we have then informed us that she'd dropped a slight clanger........Monday is a Holiday and Government Buildings will not be open, so I have to register on Tuesday now. Once the exam is done we're flying to Calgary and on Thursday I have a couple of interviews in the area.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday we have to ourselves and then another couple of Interviews on Monday, free Tuesday and Wednesday and the last two Interviews on Thursday.
All of it has been planned by our Lawyers and the prospective Employers were forwarded my CV by the Lawyers also.

It's a very nerve-racking two weeks planned but I'm confident for the exam (and it helps that I actually look forward to it) and I really am looking forward to meeting some Canadian Sparkies.

p.s. Cool that you live near Stone, its only about fifteen minutes away if that!
hi i got a job as sparks in calgary there looking for people there, have you read the 2006 Canadian electrical code book?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kazclan
Hi Philwill
My husband is also an Electrician and has been for nearly 28years, and we are now desperate to move to Canada, however he has been finding it hard to get interviews as the Canadian employers do not accept UK trade qualifications etc, but to get a Red Seal/ticket he has to be in Canada, but to move to canada we need a work permit and to get a work permit he has to have an offer of employment, and so the circle begins again...LOL
Where did you here about your lawyers and how much are they costing you if you do not mind me asking??
you mentioned sitting a exam...what is this for and what do you get at the end of it? sorry for being a pain, but i would like to move before my husband gets too old to go..... LOL
hi im going over as a sparks, i would waste my money on a lawyer, email companys out there, they will interview you and offer a job,
!st part is to send off work history and certificates to examination board, they check your back ground, if happy send you a letter to say you can work up to 180 days as an electrician, in which time you take a theory test on the 2006 canadian eletrical code, multi choice paper! then when you pass above 70% you get a certificate to say your a sparks thats the way im doing it, and still paid 33 dollars hour as canadian electricians
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lee58uk
hi i got a job as sparks in calgary there looking for people there, have you read the 2006 Canadian electrical code book?
Yeah, I went through a Lawyer (well, still am), I got set up with about 6 Interviews 4 of which were in Calgary the other 2 in Edmonton. I took the exam in Toronto which I think was a mistake as it was bloody chaos, I was queuing from 5:15 in the morning freezing my ass off just to ensure I could take the exam so I could get to Calgary for my interviews the following day.
I'll admit I flunked it with a 52% mark, I read the Regs for a couple of weeks before the exam, and I still recommend that anyone else taking it does the same. Its important to get a feel for the book as you will be referring to it a lot and speed will also be a factor.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

yeah thats what my future boss said to work about 8 week or so then take exam so you have loads of site experience, with trade sizes as the work on Number ratings rather than CSA sizes. as quite a few UK sparks fail first atempt, taking exam in Toronto would the certificate not be valid in Alberta?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

yeah thats what my future boss said to work about 8 week or so then take exam so you have loads of site experience, with trade sizes as the work on Number ratings rather than CSA sizes. as quite a few UK sparks fail first atempt, taking exam in Toronto would the certificate not be valid in Alberta?
Oh yeah, it'd be valid but the problem we had was that it was all organised for us to get there on a Sunday, register on the Monday and take it on the Tuesday. The problem was that nobody told us that on the Monday the Government buildings were closed because of Remembrance Day, so when we got there it was closed, went on Tuesday to register and there was nearly 60 people all there waiting to take the exam. They only do 2 x 20 seatings each day, so there was gonna be a spill-over onto Wednesday, I got there early to take it at 5:15 and I was still 12th in the queue, come 6:30 there was just over 60 people there. It was crazy and when I sat down to take the exam at 9:30 I was absolutely knackered and in no frame of mind to concentrate on the paper.
Still, it was an experience.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:18 am
Just Joined

unionlineman is an unknown quantity at this point

hi phil im doing exam in calgary alberta do you have a spare copy of practice exam by any chance? hope im not being to cheeky asking thanks lee
hI pHIL JUST WONDERING I'M DOING MY EXAM ON Friday 23rd march 2007
you wouldn't have a copy of the practice exam do you, i'd really appreciate
it bro you can e-mail it to me at [email protected]
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:23 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Hi guys i suggest you read my post about ontario electricians i went to an office 1 hour outside toronto (barrie), with no queues, still $100 for the exam and the exam is red sealed so it is valid in the whole of canada.

If you want any more info let me know

regards

steve
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:24 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by unionlineman
hI pHIL JUST WONDERING I'M DOING MY EXAM ON Friday 23rd march 2007
you wouldn't have a copy of the practice exam do you, i'd really appreciate
it bro you can e-mail it to me at [email protected]
I have got copies of a practice exam out of a wiring code book if you are interested brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.