British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Advice sought (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/advice-sought-890975/)

Landr2014 Feb 1st 2017 5:38 pm

Advice sought

Hello

I'm after a bit of advice, we are currently going through the process of planning our move to Oz, on Monday I sat my future skills tech exam and as have been given a provisional pass (just need the certificate/email) I've also got mpearson English test next month and fingers crossed have enough points to apply for visa.

We currently have friends/family in Perth and Brisbane area so can go either way depending on work. Now here is where a bit of advice would be appreciated, when I left the army I was allowed for 10years a £1000 grant for level 3 training. I'm considering a city and guilds 2394 inspection and testing, is it worth the time and effort, will it make me more employable? Or am I better off considering another course? Suggestions welcome

Many thanks

Richie

old.sparkles Feb 3rd 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Advice sought

Originally Posted by Landr2014 (Post 12168013)
Hello

I'm after a bit of advice, we are currently going through the process of planning our move to Oz, on Monday I sat my future skills tech exam and as have been given a provisional pass (just need the certificate/email) I've also got mpearson English test next month and fingers crossed have enough points to apply for visa.

We currently have friends/family in Perth and Brisbane area so can go either way depending on work. Now here is where a bit of advice would be appreciated, when I left the army I was allowed for 10years a £1000 grant for level 3 training. I'm considering a city and guilds 2394 inspection and testing, is it worth the time and effort, will it make me more employable? Or am I better off considering another course? Suggestions welcome

Many thanks

Richie

Wouldn't think it would make you more employable in Australia. Do you have to spend the money in the UK before you leave? Not advocating them, but I have heard that Down Under Tradies in London are helping sparks with the gap training needed to get licensed here in Australia. Can't give you any more info as they had a poor rep when I was doing my skills assessments.

You will need to figure out where you are headed though, as gap training varies by state.

Other things to try may be plc skills / programming. What type of electrical work do you normally do / will you be looking for?

Landr2014 Feb 7th 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Advice sought

Thanks for the reply, yes I do have to use the money in the UK and it also has to be a level 3 qualification, I have considered other courses HVAC or similar.

Ok thank you I'll have a look at them and see what they have to offer.

TBH it varies I work a lot with my father so it's mostly 3 phase farm electrics, underground cables and conduit/trunking, we also do domestic stuff but prefer the agricultural type work.