Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Would you want to do business with Interlink ?!!

Would you want to do business with Interlink ?!!

Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

sebastianforbes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you want to do business with Interlink ?!!

Cyprus is a wonderful country full of wonderful people.

For the most part, The Cypriot people are more welcoming, and more caring, than any other race that I have met !

Unfortunately, circumstances have arisen that could so easily have been avoided. In this respect, there has been abstinence of responsibility and the proverbial blind eye has been turned.

Why would I wish the same to happen to you ?

I respect my fellow residents and community members, and I am very happy to abide by their rules even if they do not, or if the law fails to deal with such behaviour.

Let me just say from the outset, that although I have not yet received my title deeds, I am not going to touch on this subject again - it is not relevant.

I purchased a property from Interlink 5 years ago, cash up front. To this date, I still don't officially know who are the members of my Common Parts Committee (CPC). This is due to several emails, the questions to which, have been selectively ignored byInterlink.

Interlink have written, refusing to accept any responsibility even though they have at least three members on the CPC. There are two reasons why Interlink have members sitting on the CPC. One because the building was very slow to fill up and secondly because until the building is handed over to the residents, they must retain some control (and one would have thought, responsibility).

I know that one of the residents has 5 of the flats (in exchange for the purchase of the land ?) and I would assume that this particular resident insists on having a voice on the CPC.

Due to the current economic climate, very few of the properties have been sold and so the majority of the residents are renting - providing a constant stream of new faces over the past 4 years.

By their very nature, residents who rent for 6/12 months at a time might be expected to have a lesser interest in their environment. They live, they learn, they move on.

So why my post ?.. Well, a series of events has occurred over the past few months.

1) My door mat was thrown out onto the street several times.
2) My spare tyre was thrown out once.
3) My front door lock was vandalised - very inconvenient !
4) My car received minor damage.
5) My car received chewing gum on the bonnet - major respray required !

In the middle of all this, I received a personal letter from the CPC, delivered by Interlink. I still don't know who instigated this letter or why I was isolated but the crux of the letter went as follows

1) You may close the front door but don't lock it.
2) You are not allowed to have your 2nd car in the guest parking space.

Now, you may instantly think, "why don't you just do as they say" ?

Well, firstly, I am not the only person who shuts the door. Burglaries are on the rise due to the economic recession. And secondly, I am not the only person using a guest parking space. Furthermore, there are still free parking spaces available in the car park.

But, I am the only English person in the building, and my partner is the only Russian in the building that has a car.

With the exception of a few other residents, the remainder are all Greek/Cypriot.

I can leave you to draw your own conclusions, but what I find unacceptable to date is the complete lack of interest from Interlink who are being uninformative and un-cooperative.

Interlink and the '5 flat owner' are only concerned in one thing - money in their pocket. Until they see a change in the relationship between their behaviour and the number of residents in the building, I am certain that they will neither care, nor change.

I don't want you to end up suffering the oppressive, unsociable behaviour that I am currently being subjected to.

Furthermore, I have informed Interlink that I am deducting expenses for vandalism from my Common Expenses invoices.

Additionally, if you are unhappy with your CPC, and you don't have title deeds, I would strongly recommend withholding Common Expenses as a means to achieve your reasonable, and socially acceptable, wishes.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Would you want to do business with Interlink ?!!

Car got scratched next - every panel !

Now the post is being ripped in half !!!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sebastian,
Has the situation improved?
I have friends in Nicosia who suffered the same harassment, although I don't know the managing company of their building. They also were the only foreigners in the building and had become the target of other Cypriot residents. So much for being caring people...
I am lucky because my husband is Greek and has a good job, so Cypriots deal with us with their usual mix of misguided superiority and deep inferiority complex, but all in all we are ok where we live.
However, what you report is crime and should be dealt with by the police. IMO, personal mail is untouchable: if you destroy my mail you are a despicable person. Consider the possibility of installing hidden cameras to catch wrongoing against your property and mail. I am sure that you can find something suitable on the internet. Then go to the police with the evidence you have.
Since Cypriots care so much about their reputation, I am sure a good chat with the police after you have some evidence will make sure that they leave you alone.
All the best!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Laura !

A few things changed 7 months ago.

Firstly, I went back to the UK. I have been back to Cyprus several times and I will continue visiting Cyprus in the future. As for my partner, she prefers to keep a low profile.

Unfortunately, our building has a constant ebb and flow of temporary residents. Only 4/5 out of 30-ish have purchased.

Rather surprisingly, I was asked by another resident why I hadn't got my car resprayed. Fool me once, shame on you...

Anyway, we installed a security camera over the front door.

As for Interlink, we don't communicate with them anymore - our lawyer does !
Thanks again for your response !

Regards,

Sebastian.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sebastian, I am glad to hear that things are better for you and your partner. It is very bad when people behave so poorly and if I can speak my mind, they think that us foreigners are so thick that we will never realise it is them doing the dirty deeds. I am not fond of this Cypriot behaviour, in this respect (and in many others) I prefer the UK no end.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

To sort out the mail problem get a P.O. Box, that way it will not be delivered for them to destroy. Go to the POLICE with regard to damage to your car and the the door lock. What have the insurance company said.