Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Old Jan 27th 2017, 10:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I would not live in Cyprus

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi John,
Almost certainly caused by witchcraft, as a result of the AOCDPL (Association of Cyprus Dog & Pub Lovers) sticking pins in a JW voodoo-doll effigy.......
Hey you leave us witches out of this!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

JohnWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Come on John, let's get real! There's nothing wrong with a chap(s) who takes his/their dogs to a pub occasionally, or even on a regular basis.
I had an uncle in UK who used to take his dog on every visit he made to the pub, and those I recall were frequent. My aunt used to comment in all seriousness that had he not taken the dog, numerous times he would never have found his way home again.
If those Brits in Cyprus are happy with their dogs in the pub, have as you state, "No real money", or "Live in tiny villas or appartments", and are content with their life, I say, "Good on them". As for being plonkers, well some of my most favourite characters (fictitious Rodney Trotter, and in real-life) are absolute plonkers. And I love 'em for it.
I've never taken a dog into a pub in my life, but I'd be the first to agree that just walking a dog - as I do daily, opens up numerous occasions when complete strangers just stop to pet the dog - and have a chat. They'd never, or rarely do that if I were on my own. I'm sure those 'doggy' expats find a similar reaction in their pubs.
I may be wrong but you sound somewhat like my wife. She likes to think she's a saint, and that everyone should be like her. I work overtime just trying to tell her that her halo has slipped again, and obscuring her true vision on life.
The highest result of education is tolerance. - Helen Keller
Hi Tweedpipe, (and Pollyanna)

Still some confusion here. Nowhere in this thread have I criticised dogs, dog owners or people taking their dogs with them when they go out, either to the pub or anywhere else. If anyone disagrees, could they respond quoting the post where I did.

What I did criticise was the reason why, certain ex pats, of a certain mentality, always take their dogs to the pub with them. They do it because the presence of the dog tells any tourists who happen to be in the pub, that they (the dogs owners) live in Cyprus, and also guards against their worst nightmare i.e being taken for tourists themselves, God forbid.

Also, I was not critical of where a person may live, be it tiny apartment or huge villa. The point was that there is a type of ex pat, often of very modest means, who believe they are superior to all tourists (some of whom may live in million pound houses in the UK) simply because they (the ex pats) live in Cyprus. Sorry but I have known too many ex pats with precisely this mentality, in the Peyia area anyway.

Finally, I don't know whether or not I am like the good lady, but as she is your wife, I'll take it as a compliment.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

John Williams what a sad life you must lead. I live in Cyprus and have done for the last 13 years. Many dog walkers do not own the dogs. They do it for friends. They are dog sitters. Those who do own dogs are usually made most welcome into the BRITISH style pubs. Now regarding PEGIA, well it is the pits! that is why it is know as little England. Nuff sed.