Reload this Page >

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Why I would not live in Cyprus

Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:30 am
Just Joined

JohnWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why I would not live in Cyprus

Originally Posted by 5huggy
Actually, I now feel very upset (with myself) that your original subject heading is , as it is! FOR YOU JOHN!

that does apparently appear to be an unfortunate traite of the "B" through out Europe and wider and I can say this from the point of an extremely well travelled individual - who has integrated well in most countries - by virtue of NOT BEING THAT WAY!

SO SORRY BUD! please forgive my misinterpretation!
From the point of view of a not very well travelled individual, what the heck are you talking about ??

You're earlier post was deleted, wasn't it?

Perhaps you might be better suited to Twitter?
Old Dec 4th 2016, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
Some of the dafter ex-pats take evening classes in greek. (...)

Are they going to seek out eighty year old Cypriots and try to have a conversation with them? About what? The elderly Cypriots memories of the invasion? (...)

Most Cypriots I ever met, speak English as well as they do Greek.

I guess most Cypriots under 80 only learn Greek in order to communicate with their elderly relatives. In a few years' time that problem will have resolved itself and they won't need to any more.

Similar situation here in Germany, really. Most Germans speak fluent English: in fact, they even know what the possessive apostrophe is for. That's probably why it's called the Saxon genitive. Despite that, it's surprising how often one still hears German spoken. I suppose it's a folkloric thing, like Christmas and lederhosen.

Sometimes the Germans use it to play pranks. Last year for example the Daily Telegraph sent a reporter to a press conference at Borussia Dortmund. When the conference started, they all suddenly started speaking German! They presumably heard he was coming and agreed to do it in advance. What a hoot!
Old Dec 4th 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Watchpost
I guess most Cypriots under 80 only learn Greek in order to communicate with their elderly relatives. In a few years' time that problem will have resolved itself and they won't need to any more.

Similar situation here in Germany, really. Most Germans speak fluent English: in fact, they even know what the possessive apostrophe is for. That's probably why it's called the Saxon genitive. Despite that, it's surprising how often one still hears German spoken. I suppose it's a folkloric thing, like Christmas and lederhosen.

Sometimes the Germans use it to play pranks. Last year for example the Daily Telegraph sent a reporter to a press conference at Borussia Dortmund. When the conference started, they all suddenly started speaking German! They presumably heard he was coming and agreed to do it in advance. What a hoot!
Fascinating stuff, about Germany and possessive whachyamacallits and lederhosen. And you agree that learning Greek is a waste of time for the average ex-pat. Many thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am not suggesting that they should speak English to accommodate British ex-pats moving to Cyprus.

And your point is valid in regards to many countries where English is not widely understood/spoken.

But most Cypriots I ever met, speak English as well as they do Greek. So how would a conversation be best conducted between a Cypriot and a Brit?

In English, in which the Cypriot is fluent? or in halting Greek which the Brit has picked up?
Whether the Expat learns perfect Greek or not, certainly learning a language is beyond just communicating with the locals- it is learning about culture and history as well. I agree most taking the classes , like Expats in China or Japan, will probably never be fluent or even conversational but certainly I cant see how it is a negative.

Also I guess depends a lot on local people. My experience in southern Italy and Latin America is locals appreciate when you try ( even if they make fun of accent) , and actually may encourage one in developing better proficiency. From what you say maybe Cypriots less open to helping people integrate.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Integration ? Ask EOKA about that !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOKA

Last edited by scot47; Dec 4th 2016 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Integration ? Ask EOKA about that !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOKA
Ok but still if one lives in a foreign country trying to learn the language and culture certainly not a negative.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived and worked in quite a few countries, during my working life. Each time I took a simple !! language course. Just so I could get by with the basics. It always brings a smile to the locals face with my attempts at there home language. I speak arabic fluently as we lived there for a number of years

I also found out about there culture, religeon etc. I did it as it helped me (us).

Even now when we go on holiday to a different country we practice on each other the language.

So what I say is just try and the benefits outway the difficulties.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I own up to all these uncomfortable expat traits listed by John:

Poor
Small flat (not even mine)
Fiat Panda (borrowed)
Small dog (from the lost dogs home)
Look down on tourists (mainly loud and drunk one's)
Primitive language skills.

Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost

!
Actually that is not accurate at all. The fact is that the younger Cypriots often do not speak English.
The over 20's and under 80's are proficient in English but it is no longer taught in Cypriot schools as much as it used to be and only those who want to go to the UK for university etc learn it and that is usually through private tuition.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Love the country. Love the climate (mostly). Always got on well with greek cypriots.

I owned a villa in Peyia for 20 years. I sold it last year to a Russian.

So why would I not live in Cyprus?

Because the british ex-pats who live in the republic of cyprus are the biggest bunch of plonkers I have ever met. Very few of them have any real money. They live in apartments or tiny villas. Those of them who own the properties they reside in, bought them after selling their little houses in the UK, and they live on their little pensions and drive little cars.

Yet, to a man and woman, they look down on british tourists, and regard themselves as highly superior (they are also mostly not too bright) to them. Their worst nightmare is being mistaken for a british tourist, especially by other british tourists, God forbid!!

They avoid tourist areas like the plague for this reason. A large proportion of them bring their dogs with them everywhere they go, especially the local pub. These dogs are most important, they are proclaiming to any british tourists who happened to wander into the pub, that THEIR OWNERS LIVE IN CYPRUS. (Tourists don't tend to have dogs in tow). Any such tourists who do wander into the ex-pats local pub will be universally ignored.

Yep, my opinion of british ex-pats in Cyprus is definitely
Your point of view is very narrow and it is based on the fact that you chose to live in an area which has a lot of Brits. Peyia is well known to be little Britain and many of the Brits who live there do in fact act as if they own the island.
It is just one village among many in the Paphos area and if you move away from that expat enclave you will find that in fact most of us have integrated well with our Cypriot neighbours and are very happy here.
We do not look down on tourists as we know full well that this is the main income for our friends and neighbours and when we go abroad on holiday we are tourists ourselves.
I have lived here for over 12 years and do not foresee me ever returning to the UK.
As for learning Greek, why would we not make the effort to speak the language of our adopted country?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Your point of view is very narrow (...).

As for learning Greek, why would we not make the effort to speak the language of our adopted country?
Well said.

My post was ironic (I thought that was sufficiently obvious not to require a smiley).
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

bcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond reputebcooper has a reputation beyond repute

Love the country. Love the climate (mostly). Always got on well with greek cypriots.

I owned a villa in Peyia for 20 years. I sold it last year to a Russian.

So why would I not live in Cyprus?

Because the british ex-pats who live in the republic of cyprus are the biggest bunch of plonkers I have ever met. Very few of them have any real money. They live in apartments or tiny villas. Those of them who own the properties they reside in, bought them after selling their little houses in the UK, and they live on their little pensions and drive little cars.

Yet, to a man and woman, they look down on british tourists, and regard themselves as highly superior (they are also mostly not too bright) to them. Their worst nightmare is being mistaken for a british tourist, especially by other british tourists, God forbid!!

They avoid tourist areas like the plague for this reason. A large proportion of them bring their dogs with them everywhere they go, especially the local pub. These dogs are most important, they are proclaiming to any british tourists who happened to wander into the pub, that THEIR OWNERS LIVE IN CYPRUS. (Tourists don't tend to have dogs in tow). Any such tourists who do wander into the ex-pats local pub will be universally ignored.

Yep, my opinion of british ex-pats in Cyprus is definitely
Yes, there are plonkers in Cyprus just like anywhere else, and some I dare say are British. It's easy however for most people to find their own circle of good friends (though apparently not for some, lacking the social graces, who take 20 years to find that Cyprus is not for them and then admit that failing on public media! Farewell, thats one less plonker!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philat98
I own up to all these uncomfortable expat traits listed by John:

Poor
Small flat (not even mine)
Fiat Panda (borrowed)
Small dog (from the lost dogs home)
Look down on tourists (mainly loud and drunk one's)
Primitive language skills.

Almost, but not quite Phil. You wont qualify unless you always bring the dog to the pub with you.

Seriously though. My point was not about material possessions. I firmly believe in the old adage: "It's not where a man (woman) lives. It's how they live." A very old friend of mine is a 60 year british ex pat who lives in a caravan in Cyprus and makes a living doing gardening jobs. (though how he stands the heat in the summer with no air con is beyond me). He's as happy as Larry and always says he would only return to the UK in a box.

My point was that there seems to be rather a lot of ex pats, often of very modest means, who appear to think that they are superior to all british tourists, simply because they live in Cyprus.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Your point of view is very narrow and it is based on the fact that you chose to live in an area which has a lot of Brits. Peyia is well known to be little Britain and many of the Brits who live there do in fact act as if they own the island.
It is just one village among many in the Paphos area and if you move away from that expat enclave you will find that in fact most of us have integrated well with our Cypriot neighbours and are very happy here.
We do not look down on tourists as we know full well that this is the main income for our friends and neighbours and when we go abroad on holiday we are tourists ourselves.
I have lived here for over 12 years and do not foresee me ever returning to the UK.
Fair comment. But my post was referring to the Peyia area so:

Peyia is well known to be little Britain and many of the Brits who live there do in fact act as if they own the island.

Well said that woman
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcooper
Yes, there are plonkers in Cyprus just like anywhere else, and some I dare say are British. It's easy however for most people to find their own circle of good friends (though apparently not for some, lacking the social graces, who take 20 years to find that Cyprus is not for them and then admit that failing on public media! Farewell, thats one less plonker!
Eh? Where exactly did I admit that I lacked social graces? Can you quote the relevant post? Whether I do or don't is for other people to say and has nothing whatever to do with the theme of the thread.

..and then admit that failing on public media!

I have a sneaking suspicion you may be one of the type of people I have been talking about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.