Why Cyprus

Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

smudger1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Cyprus

Hi Just took early retirement and my wife and myself want to retire somewhere which has a better climate than wet and windy Scotland.We dont want to spend the rest of our lives under an umbrella dodging the rain.We have been to Cyprus on holiday a few times and really enjoyed it but we know it might be a different story living in Cyprus permanently.We would just like to know why you picked Cyprus why not Spain,France,Portugal etc.We have visited all these countries and enjoyed them all but we would really need some good advice as it is such an important decision and we dont want to make the wrong one.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Cyprus

My sister lived in Spain and we used to visit her often and considered moving there. However we decided after she was broken into 3 times within a year despite having wreckers on all doors and windows and 3 large dogs that the high crime rate in Spain was a big put off for us.
With Cyprus low crime rate and the milder winters than Spain we decided this was the place for us. Also, for many people driving on the same side of the road as the UK can help with the transition.

Veronica
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Mint1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

We go to the North now as we have property there. Visit the north and the south of Cyprus they are very different. Winters in the north are not particularly cold but it does get a little damp at times. You can still sit outside during the day but just need to be aware in the evenings.
Rent if you don't know where you want to be so it's easier to try out different areas. Laid back outdoor lifestyle, friendly locals, just read up about it as there are many forums to be had.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan on retiring and buying your own property I would not recommend the North of Cyprus - stick with the South for sure. We spend our time between the US and Cyprus and are not retired but Paphos for anyone is laid back, slower paced - sometimes too slow :-) and a more natural lifestyle than the hustle and bustle of larger cities. I'm sure you can find small villages in any of the countries you mentioned I suppose. It all depends on your personal preferences.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:49 am
Just Joined

mikehump3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Cyprus? Portugal's weather is influenced by its proximity to the Atlantic. It rarely experiences frost in winter but does experience lengthy periods of rain and chilly winds. Spain? Not sure but a poster above does mention the crime rate. Here in Cyprus it is certainly lower but you can no longer leave your keys in your car when visiting the Mall.

France, well whilst I enjoy visiting France language can be struggle even when making every effort to speak Frence.

Here in Cyprus I have known it to rain much of March. However, the sun appears regularly and January February daytime temperatures frequently reach the low 20's. In Summer, those that live in the South can easily reach the cool areas of the Troodos mountains. Those in the North can also avail themselves of this pretty mountain scenery.

The only drawback for some might be 'cabin fever'. Compared to most other countries in Europe the island of Cyprus is small. No matter where you start from your destination is not going to be much more than 2 1/2 hours away.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Something many people have missed also is in Cyprus, English is widely spoken, and many of the laws are based on UK law. Cyprus is also a destination where you have to do your research, not just turn up and hope for the best. It is a little off the beaten track, as regards distance from the UK, but well worth the decision to move here.