Reload this Page >

Where in Cyprus??

Where in Cyprus??

Old May 2nd 2012, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Amandacooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Cyprus??

Hi,
Me, my husband and our 2 children (3&2) are looking to move to Cyprus for an initial 6 months trial possibly leading to permanent if we like it.
Can anybody recommend what parts of Cyprus would be most suitable, i.e low crime, family friendly, ex pat community etc.
Work not an issue as my husband works offshore so would stay in his current job.
Any help appreciated
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where in Cyprus??

Can't be of much help, but I've been a number of times to the Paphos area..seems to be alot of expats around. If you are looking for a place with more to do, I guess Nicosia is better. As far as I understand, crime isn't really an issue on the island..especially not if you are used to living in the UK.
Old May 4th 2012, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Can't be of much help, but I've been a number of times to the Paphos area..seems to be alot of expats around. If you are looking for a place with more to do, I guess Nicosia is better. As far as I understand, crime isn't really an issue on the island..especially not if you are used to living in the UK.
i know lots of girlies who live in Paphos whilst there other half is working abroad - using cyprus as a base - i would also suggest Paphos as there is winter and summer life - although Larnaka / Protaras would be better if his flights only operate out of Larnaka there isn't much of a winter life and they become ghost towns ... go for it - lots of families with young kiddies and women in the same boat as you - great idea
Old May 5th 2012, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by susiecy
i know lots of girlies who live in Paphos whilst there other half is working abroad - using cyprus as a base - i would also suggest Paphos as there is winter and summer life - although Larnaka / Protaras would be better if his flights only operate out of Larnaka there isn't much of a winter life and they become ghost towns ... go for it - lots of families with young kiddies and women in the same boat as you - great idea
Thank you, we will definitey look into this.
Is i easy to get by speaking only english as we currently cant speak greek at all!
Old May 10th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Not speaking Greek is not a problem as most Cypriots speak English.
Old May 13th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Smile Re: Where in Cyprus??

I found nearly all people living in Cyprus spoke English, the only time we encountered language difficulties was because the people were from other Non English speaking countries.

Paphos would be my advice, never closes down, all age groups & good to mix with everyone not just Expat Brits.

Can be very hot in summer, winters not nearly as cold as the UK or other parts of Europe) & they are but brief. Road upgrades are frustrating & chaotic, but hey this is the charm of Cyprus.
Old May 17th 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amandacooper
Hi,
Me, my husband and our 2 children (3&2) are looking to move to Cyprus for an initial 6 months trial possibly leading to permanent if we like it.
Can anybody recommend what parts of Cyprus would be most suitable, i.e low crime, family friendly, ex pat community etc.
Work not an issue as my husband works offshore so would stay in his current job.
Any help appreciated
Hiya

I have been pretty much everywhere on the Island and I would say Paphos also for family life. Its not as pretty as the the West of the Island ( Potaras etc ) but it has many things the West does not, like the stunning Akamas peninsula.

With Cyprus being so small, you can commute to Nicosia but I wouldn`t want to live there, its very hot being off the coast and there are much nicer places to live

Paphos is surrounding by little villages and hamlets, which is another kettle of fish in my opinion. There are thousands of properties to rent so have a bit of trial and error! good luck!
Old May 17th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Hiya

I have been pretty much everywhere on the Island and I would say Paphos also for family life. Its not as pretty as the the West of the Island ( Potaras etc ) but it has many things the West does not, like the stunning Akamas peninsula.

With Cyprus being so small, you can commute to Nicosia but I wouldn`t want to live there, its very hot being off the coast and there are much nicer places to live

Paphos is surrounding by little villages and hamlets, which is another kettle of fish in my opinion. There are thousands of properties to rent so have a bit of trial and error! good luck!
I think you have got Paphos and Protaras mixed up. Paphos is on the West and has the Akamas peninsula while Protaras is on the East of the island and is boring and flat while Paphos has lots of green hills, orange groves, vineyards etc.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I think you have got Paphos and Protaras mixed up. Paphos is on the West and has the Akamas peninsula while Protaras is on the East of the island and is boring and flat while Paphos has lots of green hills, orange groves, vineyards etc.
Read it again I know where Akamas is!

I dont think we will ever agree you and me on Potaras vs Paphos!

Think we always come to blows over it LOL

But no, I defo havn`t got them mixed up. I prefer Paphos over anywhere but I`m sorry V Potaras is beautiful!

I wouldnt say it was boring though. Cape Grecko is amazing!

Depends what your after, I find Pafos boring but it provides a better life style all year around.

Last edited by 7immyboy; May 18th 2012 at 6:11 am.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Read it again I know where Akamas is!

I dont think we will ever agree you and me on Potaras vs Paphos!

Think we always come to blows over it LOL

But no, I defo havn`t got them mixed up. I prefer Paphos over anywhere but I`m sorry V Potaras is beautiful!

I wouldnt say it was boring though. Cape Grecko is amazing!

Depends what your after, I find Pafos boring but it provides a better life style all year around.
you said "Its not as pretty as the the West of the Island ( Potaras etc)"

Protaras is in the East. Paphos is the West.
As for agreeing on which is better we most definitely do as you say you prefer Paphos. I hate the East side of the island. I live just outside Paphos and when we have to go over to the Larnaca side on business I can't wait to get back 'home' to Paphos.

Last edited by Veronica-K; May 18th 2012 at 6:37 am.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
you said "Its not as pretty as the the West of the Island ( Potaras etc)"

Protaras is in the East. Paphos is the West.
As for agreeing on which is better we most definitely do as you say you prefer Paphos. I hate the East side of the island. I live just outside Paphos and when we have to go over to the Larnaca side on business I can't wait to get back 'home' to Paphos.
My Goodness what a plonker! I`m so sorry you are correct!

Methinks me east and west is all over the place.

End of the day V you were the one that gave me lots of advice before I came to Cyprus so I know who boss is here!

Yes you are right, I just feel like all the Cyps are miserable on the (( checks compass )) WEST! of the island, I guess its more party party over on the EAST! and feels more holiday-like. Ayia Napa should be bombed! awful place!

Limassol just baffles me, not sure what it is trying to be, a russian state? I do love the villages around pafos, Peiya / Tsada especially. I`m in England at the mo but I`m coming next week and I cant wait! xxx
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

KickinBack is an unknown quantity at this point

Cyprus is one beautiful island. It kind of has it all. It has beautiful beaches in Paphos in the Southwest and Larnaca in the Southeast (this is where the airports are). And some very beautiful ones in the Northeast around St Andrews. It has Ayia Napa for a great night out. It has a beautiful historic Capital Nicosia. It even has skiing and snowboarding in the winter at the summit of the Trodos Mountains. Why would you ever want to leave?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies, we are planning a holiday soon to have a look and if we like it we will go from there.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:52 am
Just Joined

2 week Holiday booked for end of july/beginning of august.
Hopefully we will like it.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amandacooper
2 week Holiday booked for end of july/beginning of august.
Hopefully we will like it.
I am sure you will enjoy it. Hottest time of year so take sun hats & sun block. Plan your days around doing more late afternoon when it cools down a little. Remember it gets very hot around noon & early afternoon, not the time to be out sun bathing. Drink lots of water. Make sure you have accommodation & hire car with air con. When yo return home let us know your thoughts on your trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.