Reload this Page >

First reccy before move to Cyprus

First reccy before move to Cyprus

Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

ian.hawksey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First reccy before move to Cyprus

Hi Guys

Forum newbie here. We are thinking of retiring to Cyrpus, possibly early next year, and are at the very beginning of finding out the what, where, how, why etc, so any advice, suggestions, positive or negative, would be welcomed.

About us: married couple in our early fifties, fairly young outlook and outgoing, happy to mix with the locals but would like a busy ex-pat community also. Would like to be able to walk into 'town' (wherever that may be) for some life, but dont want to be living in the middle of it. I guess year-round activity is a requirement also.
We plan to live off our savings & pensions, and maybe supplement it with casual work (eg in a bar during the summer) for additional 'spends'.
We are looking for a 2 bed apartment with communal pool to rent long term (we can't afford to buy).
So far, my research has suggested Paphos, possibly the Universal area.

I think my next stage is to visit Cyprus for a couple of weeks with a view to driving round to look at different areas, then follow this up with a subsequent visit later in the year to review our initial findings.

So, from my ramblings above, do you have any suggestions as to what you would consider suitable areas for us to investigate? Is my idea of the initial visits the right way to approach things?

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First reccy before move to Cyprus

Hi Ian,

Yes Paphos is a great place for retirement but I would not particularly recommend the Universal area. Its is full of short term lets with holidaymakers and a lot of eastern europeans.
Far better to be in one of the villages like Peyia or Tala where there are good expat communities and where it is not far to walk to a taverna or local shop.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

That's interesting about Universal Veronica. What are Peyia and Tala like during the winter? Does everything close down?

Thanks

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian.hawksey
That's interesting about Universal Veronica. What are Peyia and Tala like during the winter? Does everything close down?

Thanks

Ian
No, as they are residential areas everything stays open all year round.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Austrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really nice

Good luck.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Flying out on 29th for 10 days - initial look round.

Can anybody recommend a friendly ex-pat bar in Pahos, Peyia, and Tala, or anywhere else for that matter?

Cheers

Ian
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian.hawksey
Flying out on 29th for 10 days - initial look round.

Can anybody recommend a friendly ex-pat bar in Pahos, Peyia, and Tala, or anywhere else for that matter?

Cheers

Ian
You just have to take a stroll in any of these places and you will soon find plenty of these sort of places.
Tala square has several , Peyia has loads of them in the village centre and Paphos has more than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited by Veronica-K; Jun 17th 2012 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Jimcross is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all..

Paphos does not close in winter or it's direct villages, it is a working town but also a tourist destination, the only winter closures are for refurbishments particularly bars and restaurants, but most stay open, be warned it can get cool in winter here and like this winter very wet! heating is essential in property here, do not be fobbed off on this point, it is says no heating move on..

On areas to live my advise is this, avoid tourist areas if you want a nights sleep in summer, they do not mix really with residents, so on this I would look to villages on the outside of town, away from the tourists traps, only advise but one after many years of living here I always stick to..

Bars as posted your spoilt for choice, but local Tavernas in Tala Square are excellent and you do not have to eat in, just a drink or six!

Hope you had a great time..

Jim