Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Residence permit

Residence permit

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:06 am
Just Joined

olltwit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence permit

We are seriously considering coming to Southern Cyprus in early December to view long term rental property, of which there seems to be quite a large selection. If everything works well and we want to stay more than 90 days, I understand we need to apply for a residence permit. Is this just a formality and normally granted and if so how much is the procedure, or is such a document difficult to get? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:39 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Residence permit

Originally Posted by olltwit
We are seriously considering coming to Southern Cyprus in early December to view long term rental property, of which there seems to be quite a large selection. If everything works well and we want to stay more than 90 days, I understand we need to apply for a residence permit. Is this just a formality and normally granted and if so how much is the procedure, or is such a document difficult to get? Any advice is appreciated.
Start here.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply FlyergirlUK but it was information about the residence permit I was looking for, not the visa, which I don't need as a British citizen. Thanks anyway for the reply.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply FlyergirlUK but it was information about the residence permit I was looking for, not the visa, which I don't need as a British citizen. Thanks anyway for the reply.
I think most countries require you to apply for a residence certificate/permit or whatever its called in their country, just to keep tabs on everyone.
In Spain it is three months then you have to register.
You should have no problem getting it, maybe look on the Brit Embassy in Cyprus website.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Stormin_thru is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Olltwit
We are also looking to move out to Cyprus - Also starting with long term rental. I look forward to seeing how you get on
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

The procedure is to get the forms from immigration and make an appointment, which knowing the lengthy queue is a job on its own, start very early! Appointments are usually 4 weeks ahead. Take the forms home, fill in the forms, you need from memory, an address, birth certificates, passports and marriage certificate. You had better check this when you make the appointment, you also need some passport photo's. It used to cost 5 pounds and yes also medical insurance, the minimum cover is about 300 per person.
I am not surprised a lot of people forget to do it!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Great, thanks Derek. Thanks also for the other replies. I will try and keep my progress posted here.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

jimijj2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some additional requests by immigration in cyprus is statements of bank accounts to proove your capability to support yourself and family - also if you are going to work over here they ask for contracts, certificates of self-employment etc. Rental agreement for home residence or papers for buying property - I know this will sound intimadating but is is very straight forward once you get the interview it is just a matter of paperwork. Good luck
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Olltwit,

As long a your prepared, its really not too much bother. Make sure your in the right office first though. Although we live in Larnaca, and our neighbours got their permits in Larnaca, we had to go to Paralimini!

Take plently of photo copies of any offical documents you have, marriage certificates, birth certificates, rental agreements, building contract (if buying a property), bank account statements.

You'll also need some passport photos, and yes it's still £5 (I got my daughters card last month - she needed one even though she was born here - we even needed a letter signed by the local major to say that she lived with us!!!)

It will be given to you there and then. All the paperwork then goes to Nicosia so that your residency permit application can start. Don't hold your breath on that one, we got ours 18months after we applied.

This will be the first of many things you need to do when you get here. As long as you have copies of everything you'll be fine.

However, get used to the paperwork and the time it takes to do it - everything you do here is just the same.

Good luck
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the advice jimijj2006 and Honest_H.