Reload this Page >

Relocating to Kyrenia with small children

Relocating to Kyrenia with small children

Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Kelly-Ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Kyrenia with small children

Hi
My husband and I are currently considering relocating to Kyrenia from Prague. We are both British citizens though.

We have a 20 month old and a 7 week old baby and I'm just trying to get to grips with how suitable Kyrenia is for small English kids!

My husband has a potential job offer, which will be the reason for moving.

How is the healthcare for little ones? i.e. vaccinations... I know when we moved to Prague last year with our eldest her vaccinations were very different to the Czech childrens so she's had to have a different course, which has been very confusing for me to keep up with!!!!

Any advice is very welcome
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Kyrenia with small children

Hi Kelly-Ann

I would suggest that you research the North of Cyprus very thoroughly before making any decisions to move there.
If you are moving because of work and will be renting you are probably reasonably safe as far as property is concerned but do not under any circumstances be tempted to buy no matter how cheap a place may seem.
Google the Orams case and illegall property sales in North Cyprus.
Most land in the North belongs to displaced Greek Cypriots and Turks have built illegally on it and are selling it to foreigners.
As for other matters, from what we hear in the South of the island the infrastructure in the North is very poor so you need to make sure you have as much information as possible.

Regards
Veronica
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Hi Kelly-Ann

I would suggest that you research the North of Cyprus very thoroughly before making any decisions to move there.
If you are moving because of work and will be renting you are probably reasonably safe as far as property is concerned but do not under any circumstances be tempted to buy no matter how cheap a place may seem.
Google the Orams case and illegall property sales in North Cyprus.
Most land in the North belongs to displaced Greek Cypriots and Turks have built illegally on it and are selling it to foreigners.
As for other matters, from what we hear in the South of the island the infrastructure in the North is very poor so you need to make sure you have as much information as possible.

Regards
Veronica
There are also no direct flights to North Cyprus, you will have to travel to South Cyprus first and cross the border.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

The other way is to fly to Turkey and then from Turkey to North Cyprus.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
The other way is to fly to Turkey and then from Turkey to North Cyprus.
Yes, that is also an option, but with kids, can be very tiresome.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Kelly-Ann is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies.

We will be in a rented villa through my husbands company so there are no property issues.

Again the flights are no issue as Larnaca is not too far a drive from Kyrenia I believe.

We have been told the borders are 'open' and its generally just a case of showing your passport now... Is this true? Everything we've heard about the North is very positive and now its all EU things are much better... again is this true??

Thanks!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kelly-Ann
Thank you for your replies.

We will be in a rented villa through my husbands company so there are no property issues.

Again the flights are no issue as Larnaca is not too far a drive from Kyrenia I believe.

We have been told the borders are 'open' and its generally just a case of showing your passport now... Is this true? Everything we've heard about the North is very positive and now its all EU things are much better... again is this true??

Thanks!
The North is NOT in the EU. Only the south of the island is in the EU.
The North is not recognised by any country other than Turkey. It is still considered as an illegally occupied area.
As for crossing the borders, yes at this present time you can cross from
South to North but that could change again if ever things get tense between the North and South.

Veronica