Reload this Page >

Relocating To Cyprus

Relocating To Cyprus

Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Dodge11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Relocating To Cyprus

Hi All,

We're looking to move to Cyprus (South) later this year and would like some advice if it's available please.

We have purchased a property close to Paralimni so if there are any ex-pats out there with a bit of local knowledge it would be very much appreciated as to the local surroundings and the contacts within the ex-pat community.

We have a three year old daughter and want to know what the schools are like, and if there are any recommended English speaking schools in the Paralimni/Protaras area.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - Rodge
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Relocating To Cyprus

Just wanted to add anote onto this. I have heard that the Heritage schools are possibly the best in Cyprus for english education. Would anyone know if they have a school based in or close to the Paralimni area.
Thank - Rodge
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:56 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

For some reason, Cyprus features very rarely here.

Maybe you'd be interested in these useful sites?:

http://www.*****************/

and..

http://www.expatfocus.com

All the best
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Is there a reason why Cyprus features rarely? I'd have asssumed that Cyprus had a rather large Ex-Pat communinity interested in sharing knowledge.

Many thanks for the other sites. Must appreciated.

Regards

Rodge
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:42 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

No idea why Cyprus hasn't seemed to hit it off here.

Good luck though
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to let you know that someone requested a Cyprus forum and after looking at the topic we can see that there is some interest in such a thing so we have created a new sub-forum for Cyprus in the Europe one.

Enjoy

Sue
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dodge11
Hi All,

We're looking to move to Cyprus (South) later this year and would like some advice if it's available please.

We have purchased a property close to Paralimni so if there are any ex-pats out there with a bit of local knowledge it would be very much appreciated as to the local surroundings and the contacts within the ex-pat community.

We have a three year old daughter and want to know what the schools are like, and if there are any recommended English speaking schools in the Paralimni/Protaras area.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - Rodge

Dodge - Hi

Its hard to get info on schools. She won't start school here until she's 4 years and 8 months, so my advice is to send her to an english nursery to start with, you can way up your options after that. I sent my daughter to our local greek nursery. 6 months later, she could understand all greek that was spoken to her. Its not the best option for everyone though. It has really helped her now that she's learning greek in her English Primary school
though. Do a search on the net, you'll find quite a few schools listed.

another option is to see if she can go to the nursery on the local british base. Nursery education is quite cheap, but when at primary age, the fees are 3 times that of other private schools

Will you be working when you get here?

I work in Nicosia and so I can leave my daughter into Larnaca before going to work. It works out well, she starts at 7.30am, I have plenty of time then to get down to the city.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Honest H,
Many thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.
I'll be based in Paralimni, which I was hoping had some english speaking schools, but it's not a problem if there aren't any. All the better if my daughter learns Greek, it can't be a bad thing and will surely be better for her alround in the longer term. I hadn't thought about the British bases. Is it something that they'll accept, I mean non-military personnel?

Workwise, I was looking to commute to UK on a 2 month on, 1 month off basis. Unsure how feasible this is, but it's definitely something I'd consider for the 1st year anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Relocating To Cyprus

Dodge,

It is better if your daughter learns greek. However, please condsider this. If things don't work out for you here, and you have to return to the UK, your daughter will need to slot back into an English school. If she's been educated in greek, then she will only be able to write in greek and slotting back in will prove difficult, unless you intend to have private lessons for her.

This is the decision we had to make. To start off with we were quite happy for her to go to a state greek school. I'm so glad now that we have sent her to an English school (she has greek lessons and is virtually fluent due to her nursery teaching her greek), we know Cyprus won't be forever for us, so its important that when we do move back to blighty, if the children are still in education that they can fit back in. Then again, if we do stay forever, its better for the children to go to a UK university, where they will need to write in English.

We spoke with the Nursery school on the base near to our house. They were more than willing to take our daughter (at the time it was £9 per day). However, once it gets to Primary education the price goes up considerably. In fact, its over three times more expensive when compared to private english schools. Apparently, they can't been seen as a competitor for other schools and so are forced to increase the costs.

I'd try and do more research on schools before coming over!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

HappyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My partner has moved and is living in the Paralimni area, and I am looking to join him as soon as possible. I am a primary teacher in the UK and currently looking for a job in an English school in Cyprus. I'm also considering doing some tutoring. I have done a lot of research on schools over there. If you would like any info about the schools, if you send me a private message I'll get back to you, rather than posting about individual schools on here!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

HappyH, have you tried looking on the MOD website. I know the schools on the British Bases are on the look out for good teachers all the time. My friend works in Dhekhlia School, as a reserve teacher, she has classes all the time. The nearest base to Paralimini is Ayia Nicholas, maybe they would have something too.

Dodge11. Its a hard decision to decide on what school to go to. Basing all your judgements on interent research doesn't always work. My friend sent to kids to an English school in Larnaca, based on research on the net, in the end her kids were bullied so badly, the family ended up leaving Cyprus and going back to the UK solely because of the school the kids attended.

If there are free places on a base school, they would be happy to take your daughter. My daughter was accepted with no issues. The issue we had was the fees once out of nursery, at the time it was around 3k a term, when other private schools are about 2k for the year!!

Recommendation from all sources should be considered before making the final choice.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

HappyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your suggestions Honest_H. I have looked into the MOD schools and would love a position at one. However full time positions are hard to come by as there are so many applicants for very few positions! Haven't seen a suitable position advertised yet for the MOD but eyes are peeled!
If I end up moving over without a job, I can look at doing some supply work for the MOD schools (ideally Ayios Nicolaos), but really after a full time position with my own class. Have an interview lined up in October for one private english school so got my fingers crossed for that!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, good luck.

Our schools newsletter came out yesterday, they said that they will be advertising for teaching assistants if you get desparate (you get a massive discount on your childs fees if you work at the school!!)