Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:21 am
Just Joined

pinky and peanut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Radio/TV Licensing in Cyprus

May be worth contacting Rock FM and asking how rhey manage it?
As for prs ppl you are correct a friend of mine was a bigwig at prs but now sadly passed on or I could have got some info from him.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Transmitter Man will become famous soon enough

Pinky,

Picking up again on this rather old thread.

Your sig has Laindon, Essex but I gather you may be in Cyprus knowing of Rock FM who btw now seem to be broadcasting here in Limassol.

I am involved in putting a station together here after having passed the first stage in obtaining a license from the CRTA however still some regulaatory hurdles to jump before one can switch on the transmitter

Whatever happened to Mediaman who started off this thread.

I would be interested in talking to any other interested party who may be interested in in some way.

My license is for Paphos however one can apply for relays to expand coverage over the the whole district. limassol, Larnaca and Famagusta applications have unfortunately been rejected this time round but, hey ho, different approach next time round.

I'm in Cyprus for a few weeks more and then back in a month or so when I hope to start installation of the transmission equipment.

Text me on 44 7971 053067.

My Cyprus mobile not with me at present.

David
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinky and peanut
May be worth contacting Rock FM and asking how rhey manage it?
As for prs ppl you are correct a friend of mine was a bigwig at prs but now sadly passed on or I could have got some info from him.
I'd hardly say Rock FM are actually managing it very well.
Its the worst radio station I have ever heard littered with adverts where no one seems to be able to pronounce names of places or businesses.
I hope that any new radio station that starts up does a better job
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Radio stations in Limassol are being snapped up by Russians. They have a market here, so it pays them to have a presence. They snapped up the Limassol English speaking station Coast FM. BFBS is still going strong. The Cypriot radio stations come and go. There is just not enough advertising revenue to go round.
It's more like a hobby thing at the moment, except for the Russians, and a case of see who can last the longest.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's "archi radiotileorasis", "crta" (Cyprus radio television authority).
This is their website:
http://www.crta.org.cy/
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Veronica,

Well to update you, expected launch by March 2014 and we're still looking for a presenter or two, preferably with some broadcasting experience and with a good command of English :-)

Zygiman,

BFBS is not for sale as it's financed by Her Majesty's government AFAIK lol.

You're correct re the Russians, two stations now in Limassol and also now one in Paphos as I found out Saturday when I drove out there and on up to Polis.

David
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Transmitter Man
Pinky,

Picking up again on this rather old thread.

Your sig has Laindon, Essex but I gather you may be in Cyprus knowing of Rock FM who btw now seem to be broadcasting here in Limassol.

I am involved in putting a station together here after having passed the first stage in obtaining a license from the CRTA however still some regulaatory hurdles to jump before one can switch on the transmitter

Whatever happened to Mediaman who started off this thread.

I would be interested in talking to any other interested party who may be interested in in some way.

Is there a positive reason why you are setting up in Paphos/ There is no money in Paphos. The money in Cyprus is in Nicosia or Limassol. Much better bet to capture a morre wealthy audience.

My license is for Paphos however one can apply for relays to expand coverage over the the whole district. limassol, Larnaca and Famagusta applications have unfortunately been rejected this time round but, hey ho, different approach next time round.

I'm in Cyprus for a few weeks more and then back in a month or so when I hope to start installation of the transmission equipment.

Text me on 44 7971 053067.

My Cyprus mobile not with me at present.

David
Why are you going for Paphos? There is no money in Paphos. Better bet is to go where the money is in Cyprus, and that is in Nicosia or Limassol.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Out of four applications I ended up with Paphos.

Don't tell the Pafians they have no money.

There's plenty of money over there, including new money from the Chinese spending EUR 1M+ for a run of the mill 3-bed property.

Also a larger Russian community than I thought who now also have their radio station and there was I thinking all Russians lived in Limassol.

You're right nevertheless, Limassol and Nicosia is where the big money is but hey, I'll just have to try for more licenses 'again' in the future

Right now I'm working hard to build one studio and three transmission systems (three are required to cover all of Paphos district up to Polis.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

Out of four applications I ended up with Paphos.

Don't tell the Pafians they have no money.

There's plenty of money over there, including new money from the Chinese spending EUR 1M+ for a run of the mill 3-bed property.

Also a larger Russian community than I thought who now also have their radio station and there was I thinking all Russians lived in Limassol.

You're right nevertheless, Limassol and Nicosia is where the big money is but hey, I'll just have to try for more licenses 'again' in the future

Right now I'm working hard to build one studio and three transmission systems (three are required to cover all of Paphos district up to Polis.
Good to give Rock FM some competition. Look forward to hearing your station on the internet, as we are based in Limassol.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

I am also, in Yermasogia, tourist area.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Transmitter man,
Well done with the licence, we are still based in Laindon Essex but hoping to relocate to Cyprus, I have a full broadcast spec studio at home as I work as a v/o / producer and presenter, I am more than happy to help out with station Ids, commercials etc at this end and forward them to you (FOC) if that helps and until we come over permanately.
Gary (pinky and Peanut)
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Hi Gary,

Do you have a website with any of you v/o work?

David
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Sure have a look at Youtube under ''Great British Voiceovers for your next Production''. I have a wesite under constuction but it's not completed yet.

Regards
Gary
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gary,

Checked out your video's.

Good voice and have bookmarked your YT channel.

Just a thought, you may want to generate some text for the beginning or end of each video advertising your VO services making it easy for people to contact you.

David
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Hi Gary,

Checked out your video's.

Good voice and have bookmarked your YT channel.

Just a thought, you may want to generate some text for the beginning or end of each video advertising your VO services making it easy for people to contact you.

David
Hiya,
Thanks for your feedback, thats a good idea.

Gary