A put off

Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A put off

Hello berkoboy
I thought that area was alright, maybe it is the element of the Army in that corner or the british culture of drinking and fighting that has spoilt the Famagusta area. IE. Agia Napa
When we started coming to the island we worked our way up from Lemesos (limassol). but getting to busy for us, worked our way west, Now have settled for the area around Polis IE. Argaka.
Problem is when you find a lovely area other people do as well then it gets crowded, suppose thats the way it goes
Carol
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A put off

Out Polis way is nice and not crowded, yet? However, that will change when the motorway from Paphos is built. Did you know they were building one. If you are looking out that way make sure it is not on the proposed route. What that is I don't know, I think there have been that many changes I don't think anyone knows!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by berkoboy
Out Polis way is nice and not crowded, yet? However, that will change when the motorway from Paphos is built. Did you know they were building one. If you are looking out that way make sure it is not on the proposed route. What that is I don't know, I think there have been that many changes I don't think anyone knows!
As far as I know its been put on hold for now. The water shortage has something to do with it.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

derrick c is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Bridget, I have read most of the replies and could not agree more. I feel you are making a grave mistake coming here. Do not buy, under any circumstances. Rent here and keep your property in the UK. We came here lock stock and barrel. Sold up in the UK. That was the biggest mistake in my life. After 5 years here, we have had enough of all the red tape and arrogance from the Cypriots, and to be honest the Brits are no better. We are happy to come back and couldn`t care less if it rains every day. It has taken us 15 months to sell our house here. I think you will find it very difficult to adjust to the Cypriot way. I see you are only in your 50`s, therefore you cannot transfer your National Health cover to Cyprus. You can when you reach state retirement age. You will need private medical cover, and that is not all its cracked up to be. We have friends here who have often been denied payment, as the insurance companies will look for any way of not paying. As for your Son working, that may not be so easy either. It`s long hours and poor pay, and as per normal the Cypriots treat you as if your from another planet. All I can say is come here and try it out for at least 2 years. Then you will see what I mean. I am sure you will return to the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by derrick c
HI Bridget, I have read most of the replies and could not agree more. I feel you are making a grave mistake coming here. Do not buy, under any circumstances. Rent here and keep your property in the UK. We came here lock stock and barrel. Sold up in the UK. That was the biggest mistake in my life. After 5 years here, we have had enough of all the red tape and arrogance from the Cypriots, and to be honest the Brits are no better. We are happy to come back and couldn`t care less if it rains every day. It has taken us 15 months to sell our house here. I think you will find it very difficult to adjust to the Cypriot way. I see you are only in your 50`s, therefore you cannot transfer your National Health cover to Cyprus. You can when you reach state retirement age. You will need private medical cover, and that is not all its cracked up to be. We have friends here who have often been denied payment, as the insurance companies will look for any way of not paying. As for your Son working, that may not be so easy either. It`s long hours and poor pay, and as per normal the Cypriots treat you as if your from another planet. All I can say is come here and try it out for at least 2 years. Then you will see what I mean. I am sure you will return to the UK.

Derrick,

Nail on the head!!

I find that you can't trust anyone here. Its such a bad way to live, I can't wait to go back. Rain - as you say, who cares, at least we'll not be treated like dirt, cos that's what Cypriots really think of foreigners - dirt on their shoe!

Its time they woke up though, the foreigners are all leaving and taking their money with them, soon Cyprus is going to end in a financial mess.

I know not all people have these thoughts, and its great that Cyprus works for some, but the more people I talk to, the more agree with my thoughts.

Bring on Blighty, its not as bad as people think
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Dead right, the slipriots think we`re dirt. An example of whats going on here---- next door to us are having a new roof and some refurb done on their house, ok the guys are doing a really good job. They needed to paint the wall that borders our place. Didn`t bother to ask permission to come onto my property to paint it, as we would as a matter of courtesy, they just did it. OK so thats the way they are, but every day I have to go out and clean up their mess. I mentioned to them about all the rubbish on my side and could they clear it up before they leave. Might as well have spoken to the wall itself. As you say it suits some ex pats, but a lot are already leaving. All the people we know who have only been here for a few years are or have already returned to the UK, having had enough. This place is going down fast. We all thought that once in the EU things would be better. Ha! no chance. Their just after all they can get and still run the country the same old way. I apologise to the ex pats who think its great here, obviously they have a different outlook, but one things for sure, I certainly don`t want to die here.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Bridget Tibble is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey!! You really don't like Cyprus. We have talked non stop about coming there and have already decided that rent for at least a year. We are coming out for 4 weeks over Christmas near to the Tomb of the Kings area to see what it is like in the Cypriot winter. To be honest I haven't heard many good things about emigrating to Cyprus and, deep down, I am hoping that only negative points are posted. We are not coming for at least a couple of years, so that gives us a while to do our homework. I don't think I will ever sell up completely here. We have a four bed house at the moment, but what with the children leaving home and me walking with sticks (back op) we would buy a smaller place anyway. The UK is not like it use to be either but I do understand you wanting come home though. There is a stabbing in London almost every week. You cant walk on your own after hours. My son won't walk to his mates in fear of 'hoodies' robbing him. I really do appreciate everyone's comments it does help. Thanks!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bridget,

Your right not to sell up completely in the UK.

Have you thought about living in both? I mean do a few months here and a few there?

If you spend more than 186 days in the UK, you'll still be entitled to benefits, NHS etc. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). That way you get the best of both worlds. Go to the UK for July and August when its really hot here, stay in Cyprus from March-May and Oct-Dec. Jan and Feb isn't cold here really, but houses have poor heating systems and no insulation, so its actually better to be in a nice centrally heated house in the UK!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Quite right, 186 days in UK and you are still classified as UK resident. Don`t stay in Cyprus more than 3 months or you will have to register with the immigration dept; and produce all documents etc. Yes I know we`re in the EU and you "should" be able to live wherever you damn well choose without restriction, but this is Cyprus.The immigration officials can be quite domineering and rude, I have done it twice as you have to renew your alien permit every 4 years and was very lucky on both occasions having a decent official.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Quite right, 186 days in UK and you are still classified as UK resident. Don`t stay in Cyprus more than 3 months or you will have to register with the immigration dept; and produce all documents etc. Yes I know we`re in the EU and you "should" be able to live wherever you damn well choose without restriction, but this is Cyprus.The immigration officials can be quite domineering and rude, I have done it twice as you have to renew your alien permit every 4 years and was very lucky on both occasions having a decent official.

Derrick,

Its all change at immigration.

If your resident, there aren't Alien books anymore. You get you the famous yellow slip (not so much a slip - a yellow peice of A4) straightaway.

Legally, as far as I know, you don't need to tell immigration that your here if you are not resident (again - anyone please correct me if I'm wrong). Your time here is more described as a long holiday.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Honest H, Thanks for that. We renewed our residency last year, so obviously things have now changed. I still think they need to know if your here longer than 3 months. Will check on this and post answer.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Honest H, As far as I can find out, you still have to apply for a temporary residency permit if you stay longer than 3 months. It would be best for someone planning to come here to seek advice from the British Consulate in Nicosia.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest H, As far as I can find out, you still have to apply for a temporary residency permit if you stay longer than 3 months. It would be best for someone planning to come here to seek advice from the British Consulate in Nicosia.
Good idea, things change so often here! Think they make it up as they go along!

When I went for my alien card in Larnaca, I was told that I had to go to paralimini to get it, even though my next door neighbour got his in Larnaca the day before!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

melydave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Being a touron is very different from being a resident Bridget. You have to take the good and bad info and weigh for yourself what you think it might be like.
I lived on Rodos and can tell you that the tourist experience is completely different from living there. This is true for every place I have moved to.
Personal attitude and tolerance plays a big role too.. your 'traffic *nightmare* might be 'eh, so what?' to me. Or more importantly, vice versa for some of the posts you've read.

You asked for tips in your other post. I've seen others here recommend the same for Cyprus as I've said for Greece---rent first, don't buy!
There are a lot of good reasons to do this, just keep it in mind.

Why don't you consider a longer visit.. a few months? Or go in the off season.
Or if you're traveling light enough, just go for it. Don't burn all your bridges behind you.. you can always go back. A short adventure abroad is still something many people never try. You'll be richer for the experience.
Hello, you sound like you have good knowledge of relocation. Can you help with information re average costing of utilities etc., How we would get Broadband connection and satellite TV etc., Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Wendy
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melydave
Hello, you sound like you have good knowledge of relocation. Can you help with information re average costing of utilities etc., How we would get Broadband connection and satellite TV etc., Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Wendy
It`s a few years since meauxna lived there and is now in America so you would really need someone living there now to give you advice on prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.