A put off

Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Bridget Tibble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A put off

After reading some of the postings it has put me off a bit. I am seriously thinking of moving to Paphos but on this forum I haven't heard one single good thing. We have holidayed in Paphos and really loved it, never met a dangerous driver or never ripped off. Please someone say it is nice otherwise I think I may as well stay ing the UK
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A put off

Originally Posted by Bridget Tibble
After reading some of the postings it has put me off a bit. I am seriously thinking of moving to Paphos but on this forum I haven't heard one single good thing. We have holidayed in Paphos and really loved it, never met a dangerous driver or never ripped off. Please someone say it is nice otherwise I think I may as well stay ing the UK
Being a touron is very different from being a resident Bridget. You have to take the good and bad info and weigh for yourself what you think it might be like.
I lived on Rodos and can tell you that the tourist experience is completely different from living there. This is true for every place I have moved to.
Personal attitude and tolerance plays a big role too.. your 'traffic *nightmare* might be 'eh, so what?' to me. Or more importantly, vice versa for some of the posts you've read.

You asked for tips in your other post. I've seen others here recommend the same for Cyprus as I've said for Greece---rent first, don't buy!
There are a lot of good reasons to do this, just keep it in mind.

Why don't you consider a longer visit.. a few months? Or go in the off season.
Or if you're traveling light enough, just go for it. Don't burn all your bridges behind you.. you can always go back. A short adventure abroad is still something many people never try. You'll be richer for the experience.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Being a touron is very different from being a resident Bridget. You have to take the good and bad info and weigh for yourself what you think it might be like.
I lived on Rodos and can tell you that the tourist experience is completely different from living there. This is true for every place I have moved to.
Personal attitude and tolerance plays a big role too.. your 'traffic *nightmare* might be 'eh, so what?' to me. Or more importantly, vice versa for some of the posts you've read.

You asked for tips in your other post. I've seen others here recommend the same for Cyprus as I've said for Greece---rent first, don't buy!
There are a lot of good reasons to do this, just keep it in mind.

Why don't you consider a longer visit.. a few months? Or go in the off season.
Or if you're traveling light enough, just go for it. Don't burn all your bridges behind you.. you can always go back. A short adventure abroad is still something many people never try. You'll be richer for the experience.
True post, living anywhere permanently is totaly different from holidaying there.
Where I am now although it is still fairly busy in the winter, the seasonal difference is chalk and cheese.
Do as meauxna says, but you will only find out really by doing it yourself. ;-)
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

We have taken your advice and have decided to come out for 1 month mid November. Can't take must longer what with work commitments. We are going to look at new builds and resale. The area we have read is 'nice' is Peyia. We intend to find somewhere to rent there or there abouts and 'test the water'
Thanks!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have taken your advice and have decided to come out for 1 month mid November. Can't take must longer what with work commitments. We are going to look at new builds and resale. The area we have read is 'nice' is Peyia. We intend to find somewhere to rent there or there abouts and 'test the water'
Thanks!!
Hi there .peyia is nice my sister in law has bought a new build there at peyia rise, great veiw. peyia would not work for me as i dont drive (no bus).
so you need to think how a area suits your life not just looks nice.
all the best Tricia
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!!
What water?????!!!!LOL

Good advice, try for a while, don't buy for at least 2-3 years until you've really made your mind up.

Living here is very different from holidays. Are you going to be working? Is your son? This can influence where you end up living. Most places around Paphos/Napa/Protaras will only really have seasonal work. You'll need to be nearer the bigger towns/cities if seeking better employment. Its something you'll need to consider.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

We are hoping to retire early so hopefully we wont need to work. But the way things are going here we well might have to. My son has just finished college doing catering, he is now a working in a kitchen here, so I hope by the time we come out there he will have a bit of experience and wont have trouble finding a job
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Honest_H
What water?????!!!!LOL

Good advice, try for a while, don't buy for at least 2-3 years until you've really made your mind up.

Living here is very different from holidays. Are you going to be working? Is your son? This can influence where you end up living. Most places around Paphos/Napa/Protaras will only really have seasonal work. You'll need to be nearer the bigger towns/cities if seeking better employment. Its something you'll need to consider.
I have read your comments to someone else on the forum refering to discrimination and someone else even mentioned racisum, Is this a problem.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: A put off

Hi Bridget
Well David and I have never come across that and we have been comeing and going for a few years.
You do get the odd one who might try it on, ie. putting the price up or trying to get that bit more for something but you even get that at home
We are thinking of moveing to the Polis area when we do move permantely across but thats a couple more years yet, all i can say is try iy out and let us know how you feel
Carol
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carol and David
Hi Bridget
Well David and I have never come across that and we have been comeing and going for a few years.
You do get the odd one who might try it on, ie. putting the price up or trying to get that bit more for something but you even get that at home
We are thinking of moveing to the Polis area when we do move permantely across but thats a couple more years yet, all i can say is try iy out and let us know how you feel
Carol
Bridget as you can see we all have differnt views ,Wants,needs,You love it or hate it.Yes research,but at the end of the day you need to try it and want to give it a go there are always ups &downs were ever you move no where is paridice ,
David polis is nice and also pomas,Iwould like to live there but for now need to be closer to paphos for work.But who knows when the moterway is built.
Then it may grown to much ,there are a lot of large new build complex springing up.We have always been made welcome(theres con men world wide)Try to respect that we are the in comers.
you will never know till you try 1000 have done it &are happy have the odd moan thats life but would not come back.
Tricia
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

I have read your comments to someone else on the forum refering to discrimination and someone else even mentioned racisum, Is this a problem.
It really depends on how tolerant you are. It ranges from paying different prices for things in comparison to the locals, and queue jumping.

Cypriots aren't very good at queuing and waiting their turn. It happens most of the time at the petrol stations, I've had my car filled and go to pay. I stand at the cash desk with my card, a local comes in behind me and his card gets swipped first. I know its petty, but after a while it really winds me up.

I went to see my GP last week. My appointment was for 9.15, eventually at 10.20, it was my turn, I got up to go in, and so did 3 other people! He wrote 2 prescriptions, took blood pressure and spoke to a sales rep before I could speak to him. I'm paying to see him, and 3 others are using my time, needless to say, they didn't pay.

A friend wanted a roller door for her garage. A Cypriot work colleague phoned and was quoted 1000cyp. It was ordered. When our friend went to pick it up, the guy asked for 1400cyp. She explained that a work colleague had phoned a few days ago on her behalf and was quoted 1000cyp. He did the normal shrug of the shoulders, the tut, and said that 1000cyp is the price for Cypriots, everyone else 1400!

We had a problem with our car at the start of the year, basically the engine number didn't match our documents. We paid a lady to go and do all the necessary running and waiting. Our mechanic told us that we would pay the lady about €50 to do this. When my husband went to pay, she asked our mechanic what nationality we were (in Greek - not knowing that my husband understands Greek), he replied "English". She then asked for €110. My husband challenged her, and got the usual shrug and tut and she put her hand out for the money.

We were queuing at Carrefours with our usual weekly load. It was a Saturday morning so was pretty busy. We choose the smallest queue. At the front of the queue a lady was putting her shopping away and was in the payment process. The man behind had a basket with a pile of meat. Then it was us. The man put his basket down and we moved forward. He then stopped us, pushed our trolley back and waved to his wife who was standing some 10meters away in another queue, she merrily pushed the highly stacked trolley over and started unloading! I couldn't believe it. Cheekly *******!

When we eventually started to unload our shopping the check out girl, couldn't have been nicer. She apologised many times. She told us that the man had told her, not to apologise on his behalf, because we foreigners who shouldn't be there anyway!!!!! She said that she hoped that it wouldn't happen again, but she's couldn't guarentee that because its the Cyprus way, but, she said that Cypriots forget that a lot of people left Cyprus when the turkish invaded, and they forget that the UK welcomed a lot of them and treated them the same way as their own.

I would never dream of treating another human being like this, and I expect to be treated the same.

Foreigners have brought a lot of money to this island, but if things don't change, the money will stop.

There are a lot of very nice people in Cyprus though, and this is just my opinon/views. So please, don't judge the country before you've given it a chance.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about

It depends where u r. Am I right in thinking you r living in Little Britain, ie Paphos area. Well it is not like that up our end of the island. In fact I would go as much to say if I get anther Brit coming up from Paphos end trying to rip us off!

It p****s me off so called Brit tradesman rip fellow Brits off.

Would you trust a double glazing salesman in UK, why would you trust a failed UK double glazing salesman, or whatever trade he was in!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by berkoboy
It depends where u r. Am I right in thinking you r living in Little Britain, ie Paphos area. Well it is not like that up our end of the island. In fact I would go as much to say if I get anther Brit coming up from Paphos end trying to rip us off!

It p****s me off so called Brit tradesman rip fellow Brits off.

Would you trust a double glazing salesman in UK, why would you trust a failed UK double glazing salesman, or whatever trade he was in!
Nope, I'm in a village on the Napa side of Larnaca.

All of the examples where in Larnaca.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi berkoboy
Which part of the island are you on if its not paphos
Carol
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about

A village called Frenaros, about 5k from Paralimni. It was a village I should say, more of a town now. But I have bought some land on the foothills of the Troodos, so will build my own house later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.