Reload this Page >

Paphos Vs Larnaca

Paphos Vs Larnaca

Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

rachal1084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paphos Vs Larnaca

Hi all

For anyone who have read my previous posts regarding moving to Spain or Cyprus, I have now decided Cyprus for a number of reasons found in my research and all the great advise I have received on here.

For those of you who haven't read my posts I am 30 years old and want to relocate to Cyprus for a better life for me, my husband and 2 year old son.

I have my mind set on either Larnaca or Paphos and want to know really what you think, I want to open a gift shop (I know it's not the best time) but I will be renting until I know it's right, I am not to concerned about the shop as the product sells itself and I have a web base, but because of wanting to open a shop I will need to know which area has the best all year round tourist trade.

Also which offers the best schools, I would want my son to go to a State School, as I think with his age it is important that he mixes with other cultures not just English, and I would like him to be bilingual.

I can't think of anything else to compare if you think of anything please let me know

To add I seem to unintentionally get on the wrong side of people in these forums, I am not sure why I think and have been told here I am naive and vague, I don't mean to be, I am just so new to forum chatting, so apologies for anything I have said that's wrong in advance, I would be most grateful for any advice on offer.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Paphos Vs Larnaca

Given the choice of the two cities, i would go for Larnaca. Paphos is dying, with many people leaving if they get the chance. There is more year round trade in Larnaca than Paphos too.
The better city, in my opinion is Limassol, which also has the advantage of having year round trade and is centrally located for all cities in Cyprus.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zygiman
Given the choice of the two cities, i would go for Larnaca. Paphos is dying, with many people leaving if they get the chance. There is more year round trade in Larnaca than Paphos too.
The better city, in my opinion is Limassol, which also has the advantage of having year round trade and is centrally located for all cities in Cyprus.
It is quite obvious you do not know Paphos well.
No way in the world can you say it is dying.
I can see why you might say Limassol is best as it is central but give me Paphos over Larnaca any day. The Paphos area is very vibrant and there is a lot of lush green countryside in the area compared to the dry arid countyside around Larnaca.
We regularly have to go to Larnaca and cannot wait to get back to Paphos each time.
There is tourist trade all year round in Paphos with just a few businesses and hotels closing for a couple of months in the winter as is also the case in Larnaca.
Lots of things to do all year round and nice and far away from the lager lout resorts in the summer
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
It is quite obvious you do not know Paphos well.
No way in the world can you say it is dying.
I can see why you might say Limassol is best as it is central but give me Paphos over Larnaca any day. The Paphos area is very vibrant and there is a lot of lush green countryside in the area compared to the dry arid countyside around Larnaca.
We regularly have to go to Larnaca and cannot wait to get back to Paphos each time.
There is tourist trade all year round in Paphos with just a few businesses and hotels closing for a couple of months in the winter as is also the case in Larnaca.
Lots of things to do all year round and nice and far away from the lager lout resorts in the summer
Paphos - Tomb Of The Kings Road is a shambles and Bar Street has all but died a death. Lot's of businesses and hotels closed last winter, the same will probably happen this year. All inclusive holidays are killing, if not killed Paphos already. Sad tale, but sorry, Paphos has had it's day. Lager louts also frequent Paphos, there was a story recently about all the tattoed tourists sitting in the bars with no t shirts on. People and owners were not happy.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately ugly tatooed bodies with no T shirts on are a fact of life everywhere these days. I've seen plenty of them in Larnaca. What a horrible sight, especially when they also have huge bellies. Yuk!!!! Since Cyprus entered the EU the standard of holiday makers has definitely declined.
One of the reasons we moved to Cyprus and not Spain was that the yobs didn't come here but that has changed in rfecent years. Its a shame
The rest of what you say is higly exaggerated although there is some truth in it. Yes restaurants have been harmed by all inclusive holidays but that goes for the East Coast resorts as well
Bar street is certainly going to the dogs and thats not a bad thing but the harbour is very busy and vibrant and Tombs of the Kings road has a good night life and is being widened all the way from the traffic lights through to Coral bay. Work has already started.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Larnaca also has a long beach in the centre, which sadly Paphos does not have.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zygiman
Larnaca also has a long beach in the centre, which sadly Paphos does not have.
Ooohh Love a good Paphos debate!! You are both right I think, I came to Cyprus in May just gone, I maybe in a good place to comment as I have come and gone over the last 5 years quite a bit. I defo noticed a big change this year. I think dying is a strong word but I thought that the entire island was in decline. That said due to recent monetary events, I thought it had maintained itself quite well. You don`t have to look far to see that money is tight, relativly new hotels that are now getting rough around the edges and not being sorted for example. Even Protaras and Ayia Napa were dead ub May, which until recent years was unheard of, and I really do mean dead. This is just tourism though, Still a beautiful quiant place to live regardless and a damn sight better than England. I`d have to agree with V in the end though, Paphos is the place to be between the 2, but yes Bar Street is dead, good riddance, scourge of the town if you ask me.