British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   nformaton about schools, doctors and jobs in Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/nformaton-about-schools-doctors-jobs-cyprus-897857/)

alexa2012 Jun 10th 2017 10:18 pm

nformaton about schools, doctors and jobs in Cyprus

Hi, my husband and I are looking at moving to Cyprus.My husband is an electrician and I am a teacher. We have 2 children, aged 5 and 1. I wanted to have some reviews about schools,do they have the same standards/levels than in the uk? Any bi-lingual schools?
Are the doctors any good in Cyprus?easy to use/book appointment?
What would be the best place to find jobs? Is it difficult if we dont speak Cypriot? Is it easy to be self-employed/create own business in Cyprus?
Thank you.

quiltman Jun 11th 2017 3:38 am

Re: nformaton about schools, doctors and jobs in Cyprus

Cypriots speak Greek - well unless in the North where they speak Turkish!
Sorry, cannot help with all your other queries. Is google down today?

alexa2012 Jun 11th 2017 6:19 am

I know they speak Greek in Cyprus! I was only asking a question, it was just the way I worded it. No need for your unpleasant reply.

dmu Jun 11th 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by alexa2012 (Post 12270209)
Hi, my husband and I are looking at moving to Cyprus.My husband is an electrician and I am a teacher. We have 2 children, aged 5 and 1. I wanted to have some reviews about schools,do they have the same standards/levels than in the uk? Any bi-lingual schools?
Are the doctors any good in Cyprus?easy to use/book appointment?
What would be the best place to find jobs? Is it difficult if we dont speak Cypriot? Is it easy to be self-employed/create own business in Cyprus?
Thank you.

Hi, if you were thinking of moving to anywhere in the EU, your children are young enough to go to the local school and pick up the language (and alphabet) in a flash. On the other hand, I've no idea about the quality of Cypriot education.
I would also consider the problem of your OH having to get his Diploma validated in Cyprus if, as I imagine, standards are different from the UK. Without this, it's likely he wouldn't be able to register as self-employed and get professional insurance.
Healthcare is another important point to research. In France, for example, if you aren't working or an OAP, you must take out private healthcare insurance until you're eligible for the State S.S.
Hope this is of help in general. Some one on the spot will come along with details concerning Cyprus.:)

alexa2012 Jun 11th 2017 2:35 pm

Re: information about schools, doctors and jobs in Cyprus

Thank you very much.

GeorgeyA Nov 4th 2017 8:40 am

Hi,
I will try and be a bit more helpful for you. As Me and my wife lived in Cyprus in 2016 for 6 months with our 4 Children and dealt with schools & doctors which were both great. We loved it so much that we are moving back full time this December. We flew over 2 months ago as are children had to take exams to get into the American Academy in Larnaca just to make sure they got in but they are extremely helpful in Cyprus so it went fine. Schools are great in cyprus even the public ones as my cousin who moved to choirs from the UK has her children in a public school and says it’s amazing. We dealt with Doctors 2-3 times and they are amazing with children. Building trade is booming in Cyprus at the moment so I think your husband will find it easy getting a job. Just to make you feel a bit better You cannot even try to compare the lifestyle from the UK to Cyprus, the Cypriot lifestyle is 100 times better hence the reason we are getting our 4 children and moving back! Just for your info our 4 children are 13, 10, 4 & 3 if that helps. Let me know if you need anything else, I have spent a lot of time in cyprus and will be there full time from December. What part of Cyprus was you thinking of moving to?

slimtrader10 Nov 9th 2017 2:05 pm

Hello

I have been offered a job in limassol and looking for information on living costs and best places to live that are affordable I will be moving with 3 children

Originally Posted by GeorgeyA (Post 12374542)
Hi,
I will try and be a bit more helpful for you. As Me and my wife lived in Cyprus in 2016 for 6 months with our 4 Children and dealt with schools & doctors which were both great. We loved it so much that we are moving back full time this December. We flew over 2 months ago as are children had to take exams to get into the American Academy in Larnaca just to make sure they got in but they are extremely helpful in Cyprus so it went fine. Schools are great in cyprus even the public ones as my cousin who moved to choirs from the UK has her children in a public school and says it’s amazing. We dealt with Doctors 2-3 times and they are amazing with children. Building trade is booming in Cyprus at the moment so I think your husband will find it easy getting a job. Just to make you feel a bit better You cannot even try to compare the lifestyle from the UK to Cyprus, the Cypriot lifestyle is 100 times better hence the reason we are getting our 4 children and moving back! Just for your info our 4 children are 13, 10, 4 & 3 if that helps. Let me know if you need anything else, I have spent a lot of time in cyprus and will be there full time from December. What part of Cyprus was you thinking of moving to?

GeorgeyA Nov 15th 2017 11:34 pm

Hi,
There is a great place called Parekklisia which is very close to everything and 99% of the people there are british greeks or expats, if you want to be very central but it will cost you more just literally look in Limassol town or ask for near the Marina. If you don't mind driving 30-35 minutes to work then you will save 50%-60% if you live in Larnaca and drive in and its very very family friendly or Pervolia or Meneou which is also beautiful. We land on the 13th December we have our house sorted etc... really looking forward to the move! Limassol and Nicosia 100% the best place to work but larnaca is extremely beautiful and kept original for traditional living ! have you tried to google limassol property agent. If you have no luck come back to me and I will give you a number who found my property they also have an office in limassol! she is a lovely lady and always finds exactly what you need. please don't hesitate to post back if you need it or anything else.

GeorgeyA Nov 15th 2017 11:38 pm

oh and cost wise i should imagine anywhere between

Limassol

house - €1500 - €2000 per month
flat - €1200 - €1400 per month

Larnaca

house - €750 - €1300 per month

flat - €300 - €750 per month

GeorgeyA Nov 16th 2017 7:23 pm

Hi,
Just wondering how you got on and did you end up moving to Cyprus in the End?

alexa2012 Dec 15th 2017 5:24 pm

Hi, Thank you for your message.
No we haven't moved yet. We are still in the process of deciding what to do and planning everything.
I would like to ask if you don't mind, did you find jobs before moving? Is it easy to find jobs (as we don't speak the language yet)? We had a look but we just need to find the right job and right place.
Thank you.