Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Never Been to Cyprus

Never Been to Cyprus

Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Never Been to Cyprus

It's getting really negative on here regarding Cyprus. Is it really that bad?? I have been vaguely thinking about is for four years and have just starting seriously looking, have I left it too late? Surely it must have good points with Brits still going out in their droves and more staying than coming back?? I guess it depends what you're looking for?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tracy1
It's getting really negative on here regarding Cyprus. Is it really that bad?? I have been vaguely thinking about is for four years and have just starting seriously looking, have I left it too late? Surely it must have good points with Brits still going out in their droves and more staying than coming back?? I guess it depends what you're looking for?
It does depend on what your looking for. We haven't found what we're looking for, but other's have.

My advice is to live here for a while before deciding. Rent a place out and make your minds up over the course of a year or so.

We should have done just that. We bought a house outright, now we're stuck because its an illegal build that no one will buy. I think our decision to go back all boils down to our house problem. We were lied to, taken advantage of and ripped off. It has really put us off, we just can't afford to trust another cypriot here.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Honest_H
It does depend on what your looking for. We haven't found what we're looking for, but other's have.

My advice is to live here for a while before deciding. Rent a place out and make your minds up over the course of a year or so.

We should have done just that. We bought a house outright, now we're stuck because its an illegal build that no one will buy. I think our decision to go back all boils down to our house problem. We were lied to, taken advantage of and ripped off. It has really put us off, we just can't afford to trust another cypriot here.
An illegal build? That's not good is it?? Sorry to hear that, no wonder you have been put off. We have very loose plans to sell our house here (pretty expensive mortgage!) and buy a cheap one which we can rent out while we come out for a year or so. We will have about a years living money behind us. That way if we like it out there we can buy and settle, and sell our UK base house, if not at least we have something to come back to. It's still a risk tho as we have a lovely house and well paid jobs which I don't really want to give up, so even though we will still have the option to return we will still be giving up our way of life as we know it. I just don't want to get old and think 'what if'.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracy, Not forgot you just got your pm.Up to my eyes in paint& packing
will get back to you soon.
Tricia.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yummymummy150
Hi Tracy, Not forgot you just got your pm.Up to my eyes in paint& packing
will get back to you soon.
Tricia.

Hi Tricia
No worries thank you
Tracy
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tricia
No worries thank you
Tracy

PS Have emailed you
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

An illegal build? That's not good is it?? Sorry to hear that, no wonder you have been put off. We have very loose plans to sell our house here (pretty expensive mortgage!) and buy a cheap one which we can rent out while we come out for a year or so. We will have about a years living money behind us. That way if we like it out there we can buy and settle, and sell our UK base house, if not at least we have something to come back to. It's still a risk tho as we have a lovely house and well paid jobs which I don't really want to give up, so even though we will still have the option to return we will still be giving up our way of life as we know it. I just don't want to get old and think 'what if'.
That's exactly what we should have done. Its one of our big regrets. Its going to be hard to get back on the property market the way things are at the moment. Unless we sell our house here, we won't have a deposit. So, we'll be starting from scratch. Ah well, what can we do? Can't dwell on it too much, too depressing!

Your situation is exactly like ours, good jobs, dream house etc. Your idea of selling but buying something smaller is great. You'll have something to go back to if things go belly up. If you do end up doing back, it will never be the same again anyway, so go for it.

We didn't want to think "what if" either, so we made it happen. We've done it, tried it, worked at it, but, its not for us. Just looking forward to going back to rainy Northern Ireland!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:12 pm
Banned

Typhoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe i should go for option 2 Spain ?? now i am worried
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Don't let my experiences put you off, everyone needs to form their own opinons. Other people have had really good experiences here.

At times, we have really enjoyed being here, the pool, the beach, the social side, etc. It's the day to day living that we find hard. Others don't find its so bad.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you start chatting on spain sites you will find people who things did not work out for,. Everwhere has pros& cons . Just reserch , take time,. things can go wrong in uk. As Honest H says It worked for 1000, I chat on a site where asked if they would come back 99% no way !!!
Tricia
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:24 am
Banned

Whats the good points

and whats the bad points

so i can balance the 2 and see what would work for me
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the good points

and whats the bad points

so i can balance the 2 and see what would work for me
Impossible to answer. everyone has their own likes and dislikes and you won`t know till you try it.
If you don`t try it you will have one point unanswered and that is what if ?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

budda1 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Never Been to Cyprus

I have just got back home after leaving Cyprus after 10 years, I was one of the lucky ones and managed to sell my home no worries, but the problems of Island life are very good and very bad, it's a world unto it'self really.

I was attracted to it because I come from Jersey, an Island too, I love to be near the sea and the Island life still appealed to me 10 years ago when Jersey started going down the pan, so off I went to get a new life, unfortunately it appears to me that all small Islands have much of the same problems, but Cyprus has a 3rd world part to it, grotty, smelly and a lot of under hand goings on, that do effect you in the long run, as you need food, water and accommodation, so the notorious cheaters and money grabbers have corrupted the island, it's very exspensive, lovely in part's if there are parts untouched by building works and alcoholic expats.....to see the beauty I got up at 5am and drove or walked around the gorgeous parts, but by 8/9am that's it., maniac driver's do there best to kill themselves or you, it's very scary, I learn't to drive in Jersey and if you can drive there you can drive anywhere but I became afraid to get in my car especially at night, as they are all drunk and still driving like maniac's, well scary..

I was very happy to stay in my home and sunbath away from everybody to be honest., but you must experience living there yourself to make the decisions you want, get the Cyprus Weekly paper on line and read it, don't take anyones word go yourself and make you're own choices, but take you're own water as the water is scarce to, less than 60 hours a week water in some parts, paphos has water every other day., maybe if you're lucky....and eveything has gone up, electric 27%, food is very costly, petrol also, the cost of living is around 4.2% which is rather exspensive seeing as it's partly a 3rd world kind off country, which does add to it's charm, it's is a very sweet place and close to my heart but when I left, locked my home for the last time and got on that plane, my sole lifted and my shoulders stood proud with relief, normally I cry when I leave, but this time I was very happy not to be returning ever again., which was odd for me., back in Jersey, it's the same old., awful, we are now waiting to go to Australia, where yes, many problems also but freedom of space and being and choice is available without the underhand going's on of small Island life, they seem to have got it going on in Oz., so were going for it yet again in search of our own peace and quiet and freedom to be.....and also it's a rather big Island so we can spend the rest of our lives looking around it.....can't wait.......don't make any rash decicions on what other peps may say, do it youselves for yourselves and it may work, it may not, but if you don't try you'll never know.........................and you can always go back home if it doesn't suit you...............
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by budda1
I have just got back home after leaving Cyprus after 10 years, I was one of the lucky ones and managed to sell my home no worries, but the problems of Island life are very good and very bad, it's a world unto it'self really.

I was attracted to it because I come from Jersey, an Island too, I love to be near the sea and the Island life still appealed to me 10 years ago when Jersey started going down the pan, so off I went to get a new life, unfortunately it appears to me that all small Islands have much of the same problems, but Cyprus has a 3rd world part to it, grotty, smelly and a lot of under hand goings on, that do effect you in the long run, as you need food, water and accommodation, so the notorious cheaters and money grabbers have corrupted the island, it's very exspensive, lovely in part's if there are parts untouched by building works and alcoholic expats.....to see the beauty I got up at 5am and drove or walked around the gorgeous parts, but by 8/9am that's it., maniac driver's do there best to kill themselves or you, it's very scary, I learn't to drive in Jersey and if you can drive there you can drive anywhere but I became afraid to get in my car especially at night, as they are all drunk and still driving like maniac's, well scary..

I was very happy to stay in my home and sunbath away from everybody to be honest., but you must experience living there yourself to make the decisions you want, get the Cyprus Weekly paper on line and read it, don't take anyones word go yourself and make you're own choices, but take you're own water as the water is scarce to, less than 60 hours a week water in some parts, paphos has water every other day., maybe if you're lucky....and eveything has gone up, electric 27%, food is very costly, petrol also, the cost of living is around 4.2% which is rather exspensive seeing as it's partly a 3rd world kind off country, which does add to it's charm, it's is a very sweet place and close to my heart but when I left, locked my home for the last time and got on that plane, my sole lifted and my shoulders stood proud with relief, normally I cry when I leave, but this time I was very happy not to be returning ever again., which was odd for me., back in Jersey, it's the same old., awful, we are now waiting to go to Australia, where yes, many problems also but freedom of space and being and choice is available without the underhand going's on of small Island life, they seem to have got it going on in Oz., so were going for it yet again in search of our own peace and quiet and freedom to be.....and also it's a rather big Island so we can spend the rest of our lives looking around it.....can't wait.......don't make any rash decicions on what other peps may say, do it youselves for yourselves and it may work, it may not, but if you don't try you'll never know.........................and you can always go back home if it doesn't suit you...............
Very interesting , makes a lot of sense .

Now i am really unsure , will check out the papers and maybe look at Spain which was the next choice being closer as well ..
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

That was a great posts Budda1. Sums up everything.

Don't spend life sitting on the fence, cos you won't have any fun!!

Everything you do, do for yourself, don't let others try and tell you what to do. BUT, take good advice and use it to your benefit.

Cyprus had many pro's and con's. It is corrupt like buddha said, you need to be careful. Cyprus has got many good points, but everyones view of a good point is different.

For me, its taking the kids to the beach, teaching my six year old how to snorkel and enjoying the seeing her face when she dives down as swims with a scholl of brightly coloured fish, then having to make my two year old drink a half litre of water because there is so much sand in her mouth!

Also, sitting in our inflatable chairs in the pool at 9pm sipping on a cold Keo.

Being able to plan a BBQ any time you like and not according to the weather forecast.

Its all good.

Then the lecky bill comes...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.