Reload this Page >

Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one! Looking for advice on schools

Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one! Looking for advice on schools

Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:48 am
Just Joined

TheRedDevils is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one! Looking for advice on schools

Hello,

Firstly, I know this is yet another "We want to move to Cyprus" thread so sorry about that!

But I thought I'd start a new thread as I can be rather specific about our circumstances before asking about some advice

My in-laws currently own a villa in the village of Peyia and shortly my wife's Aunt will be moving from Holland to Paphos also. So we'll have a "support network" to a certain extent,

Secondly, as a self-employed Graphic Designer, I won't need to look for employment because as long as I have an internet connection I can continue to work as normal as I had been in the UK (I've been doing this for over 5 years and never met a client face-to-face thanks to the internet).

My wife (after an initial "settling-in" period that we've budgeted for) would eventually be looking for work over there also. Is it imperiative to speak Greek? is it easy enough to look for part-time work?

However, our big sticking point (and any general advice about anything else you might think we should bear in mind would be appreciated) is the education of our kids.

We've got two kids aged 8 and 11, the eldest being in the first year of secondary school. So, does anyone have any advice to give us about local schools? We understand, of course, it would be a "paid-for" education- which is perfectly fine given the reduction in taxes I can expect to pay. We have been given an idea of school fees for the American Academy but if anyone can give us an idea of fees for ISOP, Peyia TLC and St Piran's (we understand currently licensing issues with these institutes).

Anyone been in the same boat as us? can anyone give a review of local schools? and do you have any general advice we should be bearing in mind?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one!

I can't help with your query I"m afraid, as I am in the US. But I wanted to stop by and say hi and welcome you to our community.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help with your query. In the meantime, take some time and read through the other threads and get to know everyone.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one! Looking for advice on schools

The ISOP seems to be predominantly russian children these days according to a contact of mine in the education field here. Probably wise to stick to the American academy or one of the smaller institutes in Peyia.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Jimcross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Peyia/Paphos- yet another one! Looking for advice on schools

Hello having lived in the Paphos area for nearly twelve years I can tell you work is extremely difficult to find and if you are lucky it will be poorly paid, be warned. Greek Cypriot is not essential for your kind of work, as most Cypriots as you should know speak English.

Depending on the age of your children we advise using local Greek (Cypriot) speaking schools as private education at the several academies is expensive, if your intentions are to stay permanently then I would enroll in a good local school, there are one or two in the Peyia area, but many also in town about ten kilometer's east of Peyia, I did live in Peyia for several years but live in Trimithousa village as I like flat walking conditions, Peyia is lovely but steep..

above all else I wish you all the luck..remember to do all your homework on the Paphos area (Pafos) before you make the big move out here..

Jim