British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   Moving to Cyprus - brexit question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/moving-cyprus-brexit-question-897353/)

Gemmagreg2017 May 29th 2017 9:30 pm

Moving to Cyprus - brexit question

Hi everyone,

My fiancé and I are getting married in august and have made the decision to move to Cyprus. My parents already moved out there about 10 years ago and love it. My question is this; do we need to ensure we have moved before the end of march 2019 when the UK leaves the EU? We were aiming to move out around June/July 2019 as that would give us time to save and to also have a baby (if we are lucky enough) before coming out. Can anyone help us on this as we're not sure where to get information from! Also what will happen to those already living in Cyprus? I presume you all can stay?

Pulaski May 29th 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Moving to Cyprus - brexit question

Nobody knows. There is no certain answer to most, if not all of your questions.

Johnboyuk Jun 2nd 2017 3:20 pm

It took Canada over seven years to negotiate a free trade deal with the EU and that did not include settlement payments, Gibraltar, or movement of people so I will be surprised if it is all settled by June, 2019. Best to get on with your plans.

My previous post (which was deleted) included a serious article describing the various options that could play out with Brexit and not link to a blog as the moderator suggests. Obviously she did not read this article hence the word "seems'.

BEVS Jun 2nd 2017 10:54 pm

I skimmed the content. It was a link to a blogspot page which also appears as a FB page.

Nothing to stop you as a poster from interacting with the OP and other BE posters about the question posed.

If you wish to discuss your first post with the link then you can do so via email.

BritInParis Jun 3rd 2017 5:32 pm

If you are solely British citizens and you move after April 2019 then taking advantage of EEA freedom of movement will no longer be an option. If either of you have Irish parents or grandparents then obtaining an Irish passport would be the way to go. If not then you may however qualify for residence through some other method such as being sponsored by an employer. Cyprus also operates a citizenship/permanent residence-by-investment scheme. You can effectively buy Cypriot citizenship for €2,000,000 and permanent residence for €300,000.

Novocastrian Jun 3rd 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12265322)
If you are solely British citizens and you move after April 2019 then taking advantage of EEA freedom of movement will no longer be an option. If either of you have Irish parents or grandparents then obtaining an Irish passport would be the way to go. If not then you may however qualify for residence through some other method such as being sponsored by an employer. Cyprus also operates a citizenship/permanent residence-by-investment scheme. You can effectively buy Cypriot citizenship for €2,000,000 and permanent residence for €300,000.

Good to know BiP. One needs options these days (unless Jez squeaks in). Can you post a link to this scheme please?

BritInParis Jun 3rd 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12265342)
Good to know BiP. One needs options these days (unless Jez squeaks in). Can you post a link to this scheme please?

Henley & Partners (of Visa Restrictions Index fame) has a summary on the process: https://www.henleyglobal.com/residen...rus-residence/

Johnboyuk Jun 4th 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12265342)

Note that the cost varies for each European country. In France, for example, it will cost you 10 million Euros. Greece is the cheapest at 250,000 Euros.

"The golden visas". Where to buy a residence permit in Europe? - EE24

Johnboyuk Jun 4th 2017 9:03 am

Also, for anyone investing in the Cyprus property market, it pays to be aware of the various scams that are going on such as failure to issue title deeds, etc. This is so severe that it has involved EU intervention with little success.

Property Scams - Cyprus Property News

GeorgeyA Nov 4th 2017 8:45 am

Hi Gemma & Greg,

Me and my wife are moving to Cyprus this December (2017). We are Moving to Larnaca as it is our favourite part of Cyprus. I think it will defiantly be best to move before Brexit as once the borders are shut you will need visiting visas just to move around Europe which will delay everything and only give you a certain amount of time you will be allowed to spend in Europe. We lived there in 2016 for 6 months and absolutely loved it. It’s 100 times better than the british rat race and the Cypriot lifestyle is 100 times better than the british lifestyle (if there is such a thing!) hope I helped let me know if you need anything else.

Johnboyuk Nov 5th 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeyA (Post 12374548)
Hi Gemma & Greg,

Me and my wife are moving to Cyprus this December (2017). We are Moving to Larnaca as it is our favourite part of Cyprus. I think it will defiantly be best to move before Brexit as once the borders are shut you will need visiting visas just to move around Europe which will delay everything and only give you a certain amount of time you will be allowed to spend in Europe. We lived there in 2016 for 6 months and absolutely loved it. It’s 100 times better than the british rat race and the Cypriot lifestyle is 100 times better than the british lifestyle (if there is such a thing!) hope I helped let me know if you need anything else.

All is not lost yet, I doubt many of these countries want to lose the spending power of the Brits and Spain has already suggested that it would allow people from the UK to remain as they contribute to their economy.

Also, this article shows that there is some degree of optimism that something shall be worked out:

https://www.digitallook.com/news/new...--2953050.html

Pulaski Nov 5th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk (Post 12375046)
All is not lost yet, I doubt many of these countries want to lose the spending power of the Brits and Spain has already suggested that it would allow people from the UK to remain as they contribute to their economy.

Also, this article shows that there is some degree of optimism that something shall be worked out: ....

Despite the doom-sayers who seem to want Brexit to fail, you are absolutely correct, though Mediterranean countries could conceivably set an assets and/or income threshold for retirees to ensure that they are indeed making a significant financial contribution to the country.

So those who want to retire to a villa in the sun will likely be OK, but those who want to retire to another country which is "cheap" and live in a hermit's cell may be SOL.

BritishCanuck77 Feb 10th 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gemmagreg2017 (Post 12262382)
Hi everyone,

My fiancé and I are getting married in august and have made the decision to move to Cyprus. My parents already moved out there about 10 years ago and love it. My question is this; do we need to ensure we have moved before the end of march 2019 when the UK leaves the EU? We were aiming to move out around June/July 2019 as that would give us time to save and to also have a baby (if we are lucky enough) before coming out. Can anyone help us on this as we're not sure where to get information from! Also what will happen to those already living in Cyprus? I presume you all can stay?

Honestly, you might want to aim for before March 2019 just to be on the safe side. Although we might be having a "transition period" after that in which EU citizens can freely move here, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to move to Cyprus then.

Johnboyuk Sep 11th 2018 8:40 am

If the Chequer's Agreement passes then freedom of movement will end on 29th March, 2019. Here is another link for the Golden Visa option giving all of the options but there is pressure from Brussels to limit this scheme which may put costs up:

https://www.goldenvisas.com/

mikelincs Sep 11th 2018 10:01 am

Everything said is total guess work, doesn't matter one iota what the UK wants, it's all in the hands of the 27 other countries in the EU who will have to agree to the proposals, any one making decisions based on what has so far been said is just guessing and assuming, and you all know assume makes a ASS out of U and ME.