Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cyprus

Moving to Cyprus

Old Mar 10th 2018, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Ricky.01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cyprus

We are thinking about moving to Cyprus with 3 children 9,7,4 it seems like there are so many questions to ask!

We returned from Paphos and love the Island, my wife is disabled and she suffers depression due to Myclonic Dystonia which affects her movement and nerves. The quality of life seems far more outgoing and the weather is great better being stuck in doors for 9 months in the U.K

I work form home so my job can move with me and my Wife gets ESA, DLA but i would of thought she will lose here benefits once we mov.

Please can i ask peoples experience moving to Cyprus and also how they have settled in.

Thanks,

Ricky
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

AbbyB91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus

Hi ricky,

I recently (January) moved to Nicosia, Cyprus with my sister and brother in law, we moved from Reading. We have settled in so well over here and everyone is so welcoming! I had no problem finding a job to help start up a hopefully business over here. We've managed to get out and explore the area so much, the weather is so amazing and like you said, its amazing to not be stuck indoors 9 months out of the 12.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

cymart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus

While I fully agree that the warmer climate here in Cyprus is much better for most people than in the U.K.(when we don't get the dust in the air from North Africa that has become much more frequent in recent years!) there are many other things to consider, especially any disabilities and also your childrens education?
The government schools teach in Greek in the south and standards leave a lot to be desired-most children need to take private afternoon lessons in order to pass examinations and these can cost a considerable amount if they need several subjects?This phenomena is prevalent in Greece and Cyprus and brings in a lot of extra income, usually un-taxed for teachers!Despite all this Greek-Cypriot children unfortunately score among the lowest in the E.U. for essential subjects such as Maths,Physics and Science etc.....the teaching system is outdated and still based mainly on rote learning, rather than encouraging student participation.
The alternative is to send your children to English language schools which follow either the U.K. or USA system and will obviously help them if they plan to take higher education later on but these are fee paying schools so I would strongly advise you investigate carefully before deciding on which one as costs can mount up, especially if you have more than one child.
After forty years here I have seen many expats come and go so hope this info. will be useful to you?Kind regards.