Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cyprus!

Moving to Cyprus!

Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:34 am
Just Joined

chicken12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cyprus!

My husband and I are moving to Cyprus hopefully at the end of April. I am an avid gym bunny and would appreciate any help anyone can offer in relation to good gyms around the Limassol area. I tend to take part in classes rather than work my way round a gym - spinning, pump, circuits and the like. On another totally random note, I am also gluten free, can anyone tell me how easy it is to buy gluten free products in Limassol and what the supermarkets are like?
Really looking forward to the move and making new friends over there- oh and of course enjoying the lovely sunshine, we currently live in the UK and the weather is really miserable at the moment!

Thanks in advance,
Morag
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus!

Hi Morag, are you retiring in Cyprus?
I have lived in Nicosia for a few years and lately gyms have offered very good deals because of the crisis. They tend to be expensive, so it is worth visiting them to see the facilities and ask if they have discounts and offers for new members. A gym membership can be a very good idea because although the weather is practically always sunny, it can also be very windy or very hot for several months. So it is worth haggling to get a good price (especially if you are talking about two memberships!).
The supermarkets and the range of products in general is much, much more limited compared to what you are used to in the UK. I lived in the UK for 16 years and when I moved to Cyprus it was a shock. prices also tend to be higher and if you are forced to order from the UK, you have to tak into account shipping costs. You can find Lidl shops dotted around the islands, while local supermarkets are a bit hit-and-miss. Alfamega in Nicosia stocks a good range of Tesco products but I don't know if there are Alfamega shops in other towns. The island is so small that you might end up enjoying a shopping trip to Nicosia anyway - it is the only town that has an IKEA store so you will definitely end up there at some point.
Sorry I cannot be of any help for gluten free products, I never paid attention. Also, I have been abroad for a few months and some things might have changed.