Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

LOOKING TO MOVE FROM SCOTLAND TO PAPHOS

LOOKING TO MOVE FROM SCOTLAND TO PAPHOS

Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:03 am
Just Joined

jasonrobertson2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile LOOKING TO MOVE FROM SCOTLAND TO PAPHOS

My wife and I, along with our 2 children are looking into moving to Paphos next year. My wife would not work when she is there and I work in saudi arabia on a 5 week on 5 week off rotation.

Is there any other Uk couples out there in the same situation?

What are the best areas to live in Paphos? Our oldest child would go to the international school of Paphos so the villa would need to be close by to schools and town.

I wont be in cyprus for half the year mabye more, and will only return to the Uk 2 weeks of the year, any offshore workers out there know if I still have to pay Tax in cyprus?

Many thanks and sorry for all the questions, I hope someone out there can give us some useful information.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LOOKING TO MOVE FROM SCOTLAND TO PAPHOS

Hi, if you spend more than 183 days in Cyprus in one year, then you are deemed to be resident in Cyprus for tax. Therefore, yes, you would be liable for Cyprus tax.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

jasonrobertson2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: LOOKING TO MOVE FROM SCOTLAND TO PAPHOS

Thanks for the reply.

I will be at work in Saudi Arabia for 190 days roughly a year, and back to the UK for 3 weeks a year. So i will be in cyprus for less than 183 days. Therefore I wont pay tax there.

Is there anyone out there in the same situation? Instead of commuting and going back to the UK for my time off id be going to cyprus. So do I have to pay tax in the uk? Or do I contact the HMRC and tell them I wont be in the country this year? My wife will not be working in cyprus either. We Just want to relocate for a relaxed lifestyle.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly anything you earn in Saudi is tax free???? At least it used to be.
If that is still the case then you won't have to pay tax in the Uk. You should however check what happens when you return to the Uk, whether there is a period in which you have to pay back tax on anything earned abroad.
But you really must check with the tax office and not rely on information from forums.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

This is the HMRC website which may be of help http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/