Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

issues with mortgage payments

issues with mortgage payments

Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:16 am
Just Joined

kidjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking issues with mortgage payments

my partner and I split up several years ago, however while together we bought a home with a mortgage. Around our breakup, I received a job offer abroad and as our breakup was mutual, she asked me (she is a local) if she could remain living in the house and promised to pay all the bills. Even before our breakup I had been paying the mortgage because her salary was at minimum level. At the time of the breakup I didnt object to her living there as long as I could use the flat (the guest room as my own) as my holiday place and while she maintained the property and I would continue to pay the mortgage.

It was a strange situation but it worked for several years as I earned enough to pay this mortgage.

To make a long story short, 3 years later I met someone and got married. I told my ex partner that I no longer wanted the property and offered her to buy my share or we could put it up for sale. She became quite aggressive and refused both using the excuse that she and her boyfriend wanted to live in the house and did not want to sell it. But they both expected me to continue paying for the mortgage!

I did all I could to sort out this issue, the bank was not interested as the mortgage payments were up to date (by my payments). I soon found out the sewage, and property taxes had not been paid for 2 years and had to pay this too! After several months of back and forth arguements, they both moved out and abandoned the property with no forwarding address, but I know she is still in Cyprus working and paying rent on another property with her boyfriend. My lawyer advised to put the property up for a forced sale with the Land Registry. I have already started the process. but as everyone knows in Cyprus this could take years.

Unfortunately I lost my high paying job and can no longer afford the Cyprus mortgage. I informed the bank but they dont care, they just want their money. Also I dont receive any correspondence from the bank as my ex is receiving all the post and the bank said they cannot send letters to two different locations especially to an overseas address. I told them I already put the property up for forced sale and awaiting the auction date but they seem not to care. The bank is unwilling to help in any way. All they say is that I have to sort it out with the other shareholder....but that person refuses any form of communication with me.

What can the bank do if no-one pays the mortgage? My ex who is equally responsible for this loan is playing delinquent. The loan has not been paid for several months now and the property remains empty and abandoned. I put alot of money into this house, as did she, but obviously she doesnt care if it goes to the toilet.

I was told that there is no black list or credit scoring in Cyprus which is why I assume she doesnt care if she doesnt pay bills and loan repayments.

Any advice?
Old Sep 4th 2015, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: issues with mortgage payments

You realy do need to see a top notch lawyer. At least thats what I would do in your situation.